No Head-Less Server needed; just a stand-alone Scraper
(2014-06-11, 10:31)jacintech.fire Wrote: @ned Scott,
As I said before: Ultimately the point is moot. Either the end users will continue to be satisfied with XBMC feature set and its evolution (given its current direction) or they won't. They, and not the developers as someone asserted earlier on this thread, will determine the fate of XBMC. Whether it will continue to be relevant or not.
And if they are not, XBMC will need to evolve or die.
And if they are, XBMC will endure as-is
XBMC real triumph is that it is OPEN SOURCE. Anybody can grab the code and modify it as they see fit (which is what I am doing, slowly; but surely)..

just so you know:
From http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=XBM..._changelog
"...XMBC Gotham: Added initial support for running libxbmc.so headless (without GUI) as a background service / deamon..."

I'm aware of that, but that's some very, very, basic/early prep work for something along those lines, but you can't make a headless XBMC with those changes alone. Gotham has no headless mode.
But for those adventurous enough, go; liberate the code from github (XBMC is open source, so anybody can change, modify, and otherwise go crazy DIYing)? Go, play with the code; break things; get your hands dirty...it's soooo much fun!

**XMBC Gotham: Added initial support for running libxbmc.so headless (without GUI) as a background service / deamon**
https://github.com/wernerb/docker-xbmc-s...Dockerfile
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid...pid1652955
*********************************************************************************************************************************

ENJOY!!!
Thank you for reminding us again that XBMC is open source. No one knew that.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
I am currently conducting an experiment: Given a streaming platform with a mobile/remote streaming engine (server/transcoder), how much would my viewing habits will change, vis-a-vis XBMC ten-foot interface. That is, having the flexibility of consuming my media library on my tablets, smartphone, laptop or hybrid at any time, from anywhere; how often would I return to the Centralized (LAN/house ONLY) model of XBMC, and how big of a compromise would I be willing to make in my viewing experience in exchange for the added convenience. This is what I have found:
Currenly, (NOT NOW, NOR FOR THE FORCEABLE FUTURE) THERE IS NOT a better alternative for the HARDCORE, HONEST-TO-GOD, HD so clear I can see their pores, Sound so sharp you can hear a pin drop, BIG SCREEN Home Theater experience than XBMC. NOTHING COMES CLOSE. Not PLEX, Not MEDIA BROWSER 3, nor any othe other contenders. XBMC REIGNS SUPREME IN THAT SPACE.

Conversely, if ALL you want is to consume your media on the go, share it with friends and family, access it from any connected device, anywhere you are, then XBMC IS NOT NOW, NOR FOR THE FORCEABLE FUTURE the alternative for you. There are far better, easier and more convenient ways to consume media via mobile than anything XBMC offers now or for the forceable future. Any attempt for corral XBMC into performing as such, it just an exercise in futility.

So my take away is this: For my HOME THEATER ROOM, my large HD Displays in my Game Room, Living Room, and Bedrooms, XBMC (supplemented with MYSQL) will remain my go-to choice. Any doubt I had dissipated after watching the BluRay (DTS-Master Audio) version of Avatar on XBMC.

For my Mobile/Remote needs, I am using a combination of Plex (mainly), while I continue to experiment with Media Browser 3 and my own HTML5 video manager...

Aside: it turns out that in exchange for the convenince of consuming my media with a remote/mobile platform, I am willing to sacrify the 10% of my media library library (including the entire series Stargate SG-1, Frasier, Le Femme Nikita and more)consisting of iso images (for now), and rely on the HTML5 app for remote viewing as it is ONLY method where a security layer can be overlaid...
I also find myself reaching for my mobile devices more often and grabbing a quick peek at my favourite episode of Fringe, Lie To Me or Seinfeld (day to day viewing) and delegating XBMC to special occasions (family movie night,etc.).
Stop shouting

Forceable future? I am not sure that there are many ways to avoid the future.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
So a piece of software meant for consuming media on a TV with a 10 foot interface is good for consuming media on a TV with a 10 foot interface, and a program built for streaming to a mobile device is good for consuming your media on a mobile device, and that first program without streaming capabilities will not stream media to your phone? This is a groundbreaking experiment, I highly look forward to future results.
@aaronb,
From the wiki: "...XBMC was originally created as a media center application for the first-generation Xbox game console (no longer supported) but is now officially available as a native application for Android, Linux, Mac OS X, iOS (iDevices and Apple TV 2), and Windows operating systems, running on most common processor architectures..."
Not sure I can use a 10ft interface with my HTC One phone. Well, maybe if I squint up a bit...
Another problem with your assertion is that the so called "program built for streaming to a mobile device.." can easily stream to the 10ft interface...but the reverse is not true.
What this experiment shows is that XBMC loss of influence is well under way and that "we will be just fine. After all, it's only 2006" attitude is speeding the process...

P.S: My next experiment will try to demonstrate that rubbing two sticks together creates an exothermic reaction during which heat and light are the by-product...
oh just f off you complete tosser.
(2014-06-14, 23:02)jacintech.fire Wrote: @aaronb,
From the wiki: "...XBMC was originally created as a media center application for the first-generation Xbox game console (no longer supported) but is now officially available as a native application for Android, Linux, Mac OS X, iOS (iDevices and Apple TV 2), and Windows operating systems, running on most common processor architectures..."
Not sure I can use a 10ft interface with my HTC One phone. Well, maybe if I squint up a bit...
Another problem with your assertion is that the so called "program built for streaming to a mobile device.." can easily stream to the 10ft interface...but the reverse is not true.
What this experiment shows is that XBMC loss of influence is well under way and that "we will be just fine. After all, it's only 2006" attitude is speeding the process...

P.S: My next experiment will try to demonstrate that rubbing two sticks together creates an exothermic reaction during which heat and light are the by-product...

Why don't you learn to quote properly? Your posts are painful enough to read as it is without your tortured formatting.

Unsubscribing, as this thread is utter drivel and going nowhere.
Texture Cache Maintenance Utility: Preload your texture cache for optimal UI performance. Remotely manage media libraries. Purge unused artwork to free up space. Find missing media. Configurable QA check to highlight metadata issues. Aid in diagnosis of library and cache related problems.
(2014-06-14, 23:05)nickr Wrote: oh just f off you complete tosser.
@nickr,
Is your Tourette flaring up again? You should see somebody about that. Developmental disabilities are no laughing matter.
In the main time, can we please keep the insults to a minimum. Let's keep it classy, shall we?
Not tourettes, just a large amount of pissed off with your complete idiocy. Like I said go away.
(2014-06-15, 00:21)nickr Wrote: Not tourettes, just a large amount of pissed off with your complete idiocy. Like I said go away.
@nickr,
Are you sure? Maybe is not Tourette; maybe is just a form of mild mental retardation. You know, sometimes it's hard to tell...either way, I'd get a second opinion if I were you. You gotta take care of yourself, Bud. You are a steemed member of the community. I just worry about you, that's all.
Drivel drivel drivel, can you talk nothing else?
Closing this useless thread
Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting, read this first
Interested in seeing some YouTube videos about Kodi? Go here and subscribe

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
No Head-Less Server needed; just a stand-alone Scraper2