Linux xbmc on ZBOX OI520
Hi folks,

Looking for a replacement for my old Acer Revo I stumbled over the Zotac ZBOX OI520. Is Intel's Linux driver "good enough" for running xbmc, or should I sick to NVidia based systems?

Specifications: http://www.zotac.com/en/products/mini-pc...tions.html

It would be very nice if you could share your experience, if you have such a PC (or something similar with Intel Core i5 4200U and HD Graphics 4400).

Regards
Harri
Better get the CI540 Nano Plus. Enough power and passive --> http://www.zotac.com/products/mini-pcs/c...-plus.html

Drivers are no issue... try openelec.
ASRock Beebox J3160 4GB RAM 120GB SATA SSD - Harmony Elite BT
Intel NUC Kit DN2820FYKH 4GB RAM 120GB SATA SSD - Harmony Smart Control BT
all @ Libreelec Testbuild
HP N54L @ Ubuntu 14.04.4 Minimal Server / MySQL DB
HP N40L @ Ubuntu 14.04.4 Minimal Server
There are many of us that will buy the new zotac boxes when they will become available...
(2014-06-07, 17:44)john.cord Wrote: Better get the CI540 Nano Plus. Enough power and passive --> http://www.zotac.com/products/mini-pcs/c...-plus.html

Drivers are no issue... try openelec.
Maybe quite silent in use, but not passive cooled says the info by the Zotac link you provided: Cooler: Smartfan Edit: << but this could be wrong info on the Zotac specifications page because everywhere else on the net there is talk of a complete passive cooling solution.
Kodi 19.1 Android/Google(TV) [ Shield TV Pro [64b] / Mi Box S [32b] / Mi Projector / Fire 4k TV stick / CC with Google TV ]
Kodi 19 [3D MVC build] Shuttle DH270 [Kaby Lake i3-7300/HD630 graphics - W10-1903]
(2014-06-07, 17:55)solamnic Wrote: There are many of us that will buy the new zotac boxes when they will become available...

May I ask why? The prices are very high on the i3/i5 models and performance is very low compared to what you can build yourself. The small size is the only thing that would be hard to reproduce.

Even if you require fanless, there are cheap cases available from Akasa.
(2014-06-08, 23:34)wizziwig Wrote:
(2014-06-07, 17:55)solamnic Wrote: There are many of us that will buy the new zotac boxes when they will become available...

May I ask why? The prices are very high on the i3/i5 models and performance is very low compared to what you can build yourself. The small size is the only thing that would be hard to reproduce.

Even if you require fanless, there are cheap cases available from Akasa.

Fanless haswell nuc with ir ( and preistalled ram and ssd if needed) ..

And i think an akasa newton x case plus haswell nuc i3 plus 60 gb ssd plus 4 gb if ram will cost more ( and i dont sum the hassle to install it)

Sure some one can build cheaper system but i dont think that it can happen in nuc dimensions Smile ( haswell, fanless, ir)
I have the ZBOX OI520 for a few weeks now: Works very nice. Surely it is sufficiently fast to play 1080p without any artifacts. It has a built-in fan making almost no noise at all. The power light is a pretty bright blue LED ring which might be considered as distracting.

Using kernel 3.15.x there was a problem with HDMI output: Sometimes, if I had booted it without turning the TV on, then it showed a just noisy screen later, which went on and off in a random pattern. It was hard to reproduce. Restarting the X server made the problem always go away.I haven't seen this with kernel 3.16 anymore.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
xbmc on ZBOX OI5200