Preformance penalty for using multiimages control?
Question 
Hi guys,

I'm looking to cleanup some of my code for weather icons and wanted to know if there was any serious performance penalty for using a multiimage control instead of a image control even if there is only one image in the target folder. For example I would like to use this code

Code:
<control type="multiimage"><!-- Use Custom weather condition Icon if location selected -->
    <include>iconsizeandlocation</include>
    <imagepath fallback="$INFO[Current.ConditionIcon]">$INFO[Skin.String(custom-weathericons)]$INFO[Window(Weather).Property(Current.FanartCode)]</imagepath>
    <timeperimage>100</timeperimage>
    <randomize>false</randomize>
    <fadetime>0</fadetime>
</control>

Instead of using a image and a multiimage control with a visible condition that includes a skin bool that says if user wants an animated or static icon, just allow the user to select a location that contains a directory tree that may or may not have multiple images in each child directory.

Is there any difference between a multiimage and a image control when there is only one image in the target directory?

Wyrm (xTV-SAF)
If required a FULL debug log can now be submitted from the skin in settings->skin settings->support. Or follow instructions here if you can't access skin settings.

FAQ's located at :- http://kodi.wiki/view/Add-on:AppTV
I've been looking through the code and it looks like the multiimage control is an extension of the image control, so most everything is the same.
The updating of the images with a stopwatch has virtually no impact, if there is only one image, because XBMC checks if the image has actually changed before updating. (GUIMultiImage.cpp#125)
Furthermore, XBMC loads the files in the directory pretty fast, and only does so when the path has changed anyway. (GUIMultiImage.cpp#218)

So yeah, using a multiimage control will be fine!
(2014-06-08, 13:40)Mesoptier Wrote: I've been looking through the code and it looks like the multiimage control is an extension of the image control, so most everything is the same.
The updating of the images with a stopwatch has virtually no impact, if there is only one image, because XBMC checks if the image has actually changed before updating. (GUIMultiImage.cpp#125)
Furthermore, XBMC loads the files in the directory pretty fast, and only does so when the path has changed anyway. (GUIMultiImage.cpp#218)

So yeah, using a multiimage control will be fine!
Mesoptier,

Thanks for that mate. I could not see anything different running on my i5 but was concerned that something like a Raspberry Pi might have an issue. Better customisation with simpler code is a win win as far as I'm concerned. Will push the change and see if anybody notices.

Wyrm (xTV-SAF)
If required a FULL debug log can now be submitted from the skin in settings->skin settings->support. Or follow instructions here if you can't access skin settings.

FAQ's located at :- http://kodi.wiki/view/Add-on:AppTV
(2014-06-08, 14:47)wyrm Wrote: Better customisation with simpler code is a win win as far as I'm concerned. Will push the change and see if anybody notices.

They won't notice any performance issues otherwise Amber users would complain long ago Smile
My skins:

Amber
Quartz

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Preformance penalty for using multiimages control?0