Win power loss reset skin
I'm finalizing my HTPC build and decided to test a power loss scenario.

I have my motherboard set to power on after a power loss. I turned off the power supply while xbmc was running with Aeon MQ5.
The system rebooted when I turned it back on and when XBMC loaded it was on the Confluence skin. I switched it to Aeon MQ5 and
it proceeded as if it was the first time I had run it. All settings were back to default.

Any ideas on this one?
I've had that happen too and from reading, it seems to be an XBMC problem with erasing your settings folder. My advice is to back it up once you get the settings where you want them using the export feature in the skin settings menu lest you have to do redo it all over again.
I've heard of that happen on android before. Not on windows though.

It's an xbmc issue, rather than a skin. Sudden loss of power causes guisettings.xml to be lost or corrupted.

There was a PR with a fix, but I don't believe it made it into Gotham.

If your running windows, just make a copy of that file and manually replace it.
My fanart.tv & themoviedb.org accounts.

It has happened few times here in all long MQ skin history, EDEN, FRODO, GHOTAN... to avoid this issue I'm making backup of guisettings.xml on my userdata folder in case it getting erased again.
I wish to have Rotten Tomatoes (user+critics) + IMDB both ratings display in skin.
Funny thing. It happened on the first test of a power loss. But after rebuilding all my settings AND making a backup of my appdata/xbmc folder
I haven't had it happen again. I've performed the power loss test 3 more times. Once while viewing live tv, another while on the home screen and
the final while listening to music. All 3 times it has come back on with no loss of settings. Maybe I hit power off when XBMC was busy doing something
that first time.
I have a hunch that it only occurs if the system is saving to guisettings.xml at the presice time it looses power. Hence why it hasn't occurred again.

(2014-06-08, 11:17)Samu-rai Wrote: I have a hunch that it only occurs if the system is saving to guisettings.xml at the presice time it looses power. Hence why it hasn't occurred again.

I agree. I posted in the XBMC general help since this appears to be an XBMC issue. I don't know about you, but it's a big issue to me.
Power loss from storms and such happen. If this happened and I wasn't around the wife and kids would be calling Comcast to bring
their DVR box back.
A simple (windows) 'fix' is to make guisettings.xml read only.

(2014-06-08, 18:19)Samu-rai Wrote: A simple (windows) 'fix' is to make guisettings.xml read only.

I had thought of that. You don't think that would cause issues with XBMC?
Only if you customised the skin/settings. In which case you can just allow editing access again.

(2014-06-07, 22:33)corpgator Wrote: I've had that happen too and from reading, it seems to be an XBMC problem with erasing your settings folder. My advice is to back it up once you get the settings where you want them using the export feature in the skin settings menu lest you have to do redo it all over again.

How do you export? I checked 3 different skins and don't see any export menu.
Manually copying is the easiest way.

Failing that install extended info script. That will then give you an option in MQ5's settings to export/import your config.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
power loss reset skin0