Win GOTHAM 13.1 - WASHED-OUT BLACKS WITH DXVA2 + INTEL HD4600
Hello fellows,

Is there any way at all I can use XVDA2 with this configuration? In Gotham 13.1, blacks are washed and video is greyed when using XVDA2 + Intel Graphics HD4600 + PC Monitor, as follows:

1. Blacks are deep and video crisp, with 'Hardware Accelerated' (Log File)
2. Blacks washed out and video is greyed with 'DXVA2' (Log File)

Codec Info
Example 1
Hardware Accelerated:
DXVA2:
Example 2
Hardware Accelerated:
DXVA2:

... Continued.

Zoom/aspect ratio
Example 1
Hardware Accelerated:
DXVA2:

Video settings

Video output

Graphic card (latest driver)
Best,

capfuturo

"The world must learn to work together, or finally it will not work at all" - General Eisenhower
Hi There

can you try using this reg hack to see if it clears things up

1. Find your current Intel Graphic Adapter software registry instance under:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E968-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}\xxxx
(0000 on my PC).
2.Create DWORD value:
EnableRGBFullRange
and set it to 1
3. Reboot.
4. Enjoy

full thread discussing intel and black levels if you want to read up on it yourself
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1477460/theory...l-0-255/30
Or you could try enabling "Use limited colour range (16-235)" as I believe this is what Intel drivers use for video playback.
i suggested the hack as when i enable that setting in xbmc, xbmc itself gets washed out colours, the hack above enables intel gpu's to output full range rgb
Just a correction: the title of this thread should say DXVA2 instead of XVDA2! ;-) Sorry.

@jjd-uk: tried that but this is a PC monitor, not a TV, and as orby pointed out, it just brings more greyness to XBMC displayed window. I am raising my concerns here in the forum first, with the purpose of finding people who have either successfully worked this out with the configuration mentioned on my first post or are stuck on same issue because it may be actually a bug. Since you are a developer I ask you (or a developer that may be working in this area directly) whether support for DXVA2 + Intel Graphics HD4600 is supported by Gotham. If not, nothing to do on my side. Nonetheless, if it is supported and not working properly, then I believe submitting this as a bug is best practice. Intel HD4600 Graphic driver supports Full Range RGB 0-255 and blacks are indeed properly displayed in my monitor by XBMC when DXVA2 acceleration is not in use, so at least we can rest assure that is not the issue.

I can live perfectly without DXVA2 and have a great visual experience, nevertheless if XBMC offers this option, which considerable reduces CPU usage to ridiculous levels (I've seen sometimes less than 1% usage!), I believe I'd like to use it if supported.

@orby: I applied the DWORD value as you kindly suggested (thanks, I learnt something new today) but didn't make any difference and I believe that is because the Graphic Driver is already supporting full range as per config panel (see images below). I have tried with both options, Application Settings and Driver Settings, to no avail.
Best,

capfuturo

"The world must learn to work together, or finally it will not work at all" - General Eisenhower
has been a while since i have gone through that thread and i know it is for HDMI connections, how are you connecting to the monitor and also do you know why you have a fake EDID entry in the reg?

have you also gone through the options when playing a movie?, i cant remember them off hand but you can change certain settings for dvxa2 aceleration
@orby: I tried both Display Port and HDMI, and both give same results. I believe the EDID may (but perhaps not) to do with certain option for creating Custom Resolutions via the Graphic Control Panel.

There are some controls for Brightness in the video OSD, as you suggest. I tried them and that allowed me somehow to decrease the issue with greyness. According to the tests: since XBMC actually is capable of sending full colour range video and when in DXVA2 the brightness levels seem to work attenuating the issue a bit, I thought that perhaps I should look further into the Graphics Control for the HD4600 driver, and I found it.

@jjd-uk / @orby: jjd-uk I thought again of following your advise and try limiting the range of colours this time not within XBMC but at the HD Graphics Control Panel itself, and it worked but only if combined with assigning the 'Application Settings' (XBMC's in this case) as the value for the 'Colour Correction' at the 'Intel Graphics Control Panel'. The following two possible configurations fix the issue, providing full colour range and deep blacks!

Thank you both for guiding me into this, most appreciated. Hopefully this could be helpful to other users hitting same troubles.

Jav
Best,

capfuturo

Here are the new results after applying the fixes explained above. All the images below were taken using Software rendering in XBMC; there is a clear variation in the colour correction sent by XBMC whilst using 'DXVA2'. Whilst decoding using 'Software' and 'hardware Accelerated' offer more natural colours, using DXVA2 considerably shifts the image to yellows.

It shouldn't happen but it does and I am trying to correct it using the 'Intel Standard Colour Correction' set to 'Driver setting' so I can manually manipulate the values for Brightness, Contrast, Hue and Saturation in order to move away from the yellows into more natural ones closer to reds. I wished I could know exactly the colour correction values sent by XBMC when in 'hardware Acceleration' or 'Software' decoding, and have a way to apply them with precision and not just "by-eye" to the Intel Driver Settings.

The best solution though would be to have XBMC sending the same colour correction values for XDVA2 as it does when obtaining natural colours, so the colour correction could still be controlled by the application (XBMC). Now how to achieve this is currently unknown to me.

'Hardware Accelerated' or 'Software' (natural colours)
'DXVA2' (tones shifted to yellow)
Best,

capfuturo

when playing the film go to video (osd) and set de interlace video to auto, method to dxva bob and scaling method to dxva see if that helps, i use a hd4600 also and those were settings i changed am not sure if it was your exact problem but i did have a colour issue and went through various things to get it right

also try other options and if you find one that works make sure you save it as default for all video's
or just stick a gt 520 gpu in as I did. got totally sick and tired of messing with my Intel as the the video renderer
I got a hd 4600 cpu and gave up on it after months of trying to get it to work properly. had all sorts of issues with xbm and interlaced files
Can you try software renderer?
(2014-06-11, 13:54)boulogne75 Wrote: Can you try software renderer?
Both images above were taken with software renderer active, as explained on the post.
Best,

capfuturo

(2014-06-11, 14:39)capfuturo Wrote:
Both images above were taken with software renderer active, as explained on the post.

I think you tried software decoding. You can set the renderer to software and still use hardware decoding :-)
(2014-06-11, 21:07)boulogne75 Wrote:
(2014-06-11, 14:39)capfuturo Wrote:

I think you tried software decoding. You can set the renderer to software and still use hardware decoding :-)

I think you need to read again FIRST LINE on post 8 and the titles for every image. It is very clear.
Best,

capfuturo

(2014-06-11, 21:56)capfuturo Wrote:
(2014-06-11, 21:07)boulogne75 Wrote:
(2014-06-11, 14:39)capfuturo Wrote: Both images above were taken with software renderer active, as explained on the post.

I think you need to read again FIRST LINE on post 8 and the titles for every image. It is very clear.

Yep. Sorry, missed this first line. Not yet used to use tapatalk on a small phone, i guess...

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
GOTHAM 13.1 - WASHED-OUT BLACKS WITH DXVA2 + INTEL HD46000