Win GOTHAM 13.1 - WASHED-OUT BLACKS WITH DXVA2 + INTEL HD4600
No worries. In any case it is fixed which is the good thing, so DXVA2 can be used; then one just has to play with Colour Correction at the Intel driver Settings' level (Brightness, Contrast, Hue, Saturation) so same levels of balcks and natural colours output by XBMC when not using DXVA2 can be obtained when using them. Think it is a matter of fine tuning.
Best,

capfuturo

"The world must learn to work together, or finally it will not work at all" - General Eisenhower
@capfuturo: You are a life saver.

I was on the verge of getting insane - because calibrating the TV according to rec709 spec didn't agree with my eyes. Turns out it was the yellow tint XDVA produces, when XBMC is set to the default auto renderer method with hw acceleration enabled.

And no - messing with contrast/hue in the driver overrides for me is not an option, because - you dont calibrate a TV with a colorimeter just to then rely on fudging manually with sliders. You rely on the reproduction chain to go by spec - and in this case, with DXVA and XBMC it is still broken.

Switching to software renderer and having HW Acceleration enabled solves the problem - but question, what are the ramifications? What to I loose by not having DXVA rendering my output?

Also - with a look at the devs on this project - your current default outputs significantly distorted colors, at least on the most common graphics solution out thre - something you MIGHT want to look into... (GPU here also is an Intel HD Graphics 4600)

Also - who is "responsible" for this one? Intel (driver), or the implementation in XBMC?

If you need testing material to clearly see the issue in play -

The rooftop scene in Infernal Affairs (2002), at 10:37 into the movie, is still considered reference material for daylight skin tones and easily shows the problem.
is this problem only related to windows based xbmc?
or does it affect linux based xbmc too?
(2014-07-19, 11:00)harlekin Wrote: @capfuturo: You are a life saver.

I was on the verge of getting insane - because calibrating the TV according to rec709 spec didn't agree with my eyes. Turns out it was the yellow tint XDVA produces, when XBMC is set to the default auto renderer method with hw acceleration enabled.

And no - messing with contrast/hue in the driver overrides for me is not an option, because - you dont calibrate a TV with a colorimeter just to then rely on fudging manually with sliders. You rely on the reproduction chain to go by spec - and in this case, with DXVA and XBMC it is still broken.

Switching to software renderer and having HW Acceleration enabled solves the problem - but question, what are the ramifications? What to I loose by not having DXVA rendering my output?

Also - with a look at the devs on this project - your current default outputs significantly distorted colors, at least on the most common graphics solution out thre - something you MIGHT want to look into... (GPU here also is an Intel HD Graphics 4600)

Also - who is "responsible" for this one? Intel (driver), or the implementation in XBMC?

If you need testing material to clearly see the issue in play -

The rooftop scene in Infernal Affairs (2002), at 10:37 into the movie, is still considered reference material for daylight skin tones and easily shows the problem.

Hi Harlekin,

I almost went insane too trying to calibrate things until I realised the issue was in the DXVA2. Back in June I made team member afedchin (who has done some work in DXVA in XBMC) aware of how 'Hardware Acceleration' offers more natural colours whilst DXVA2 is considerably shifted to yellows in Intel Graphics. He was very nice and asked me if I was still having the issue so I pointed him to this thread. I am not sure if (and to what extend) he can do anything about it. Apparently XBMC don't have a dedicated DirectX developer any more in their Team: http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid...pid1680744

If you have any further news on this please let me know here on this thread.

Thanks, Jav
Best,

capfuturo

"The world must learn to work together, or finally it will not work at all" - General Eisenhower
Today I was experiencing the exact same issue with my newly built ID92 (with i4600), trying to calibrate my screen.

Took me a while, but turns out the Intel Graphics Control Panel has both default Video Profiles (for system and apps) set to 'Limited' range color. Wut?! Soon as I set those to 'Full range' the problem was gone.

That might help you too.

EDIT: It's under Graphics Control Panel -> Graphics Properties -> Video.

It also seems the default brightness is set to a ridiculously low value (like -32). I set that to 0 too.
meimeiriver: I think you haven't read the first page of this thread. There are two issues here when using DXVA2 only: washed-out blacks which after fixed (full range isn't an option to fix it) we get to the issue of the yellow-shift. The latter can't be fixed by applying full range because then the deep blacks are lost. It's like the chicken-and-the-egg story. So until a better implementation handling DXVA in Intel (windows) is done one has to play with the Intel driver's colour correction, unfortunately.
Best,

capfuturo

Tongue 
(2014-08-18, 01:09)capfuturo Wrote: meimeiriver: I think you haven't read the first page of this thread

LOL. Those images weren't loading for me before. Cool

But yeah, those default values are insane. I have a good mind writing Intel about it, as I spent half-a-day trying to figure out why a spot marked 'X' on a black screen (for brightness) on my calibration disc just wouldn't show up, like ever.
(2014-08-18, 01:09)capfuturo Wrote: meimeiriver: I think you haven't read the first page of this thread. There are two issues here when using XDVA2 only: washed-out blacks which after fixed (full range isn't an option to fix it) we get to the issue of the yellow-shift. The latter can't be fixed by applying full range because then the deep blacks are lost. It's like the chicken-and-the-egg story. So until a better implementation handling XDVA in Intel (windows) is done one has to play with the Intel driver's colour correction, unfortunately.

Thx for the extra detail. Smile I read somewhere I shouldn't enable DXVA on my i4600. so I didn't (at least not that I know of, LOL). Seems to work great now (Full-HD). The i4600 even seems to handle my 50p progressive video's well (dual-framed, made from interlaced video), which comes with a bitrate twice over the H264 specs, lol. So I'm probably not even gonna mess with DXVA.
Hi,

Does this fix apply for XBMC/KODI connected to Plasma tv's as well or is it only for PC monitors?

I am using XBMC with my TV

Thanks,
K.
Edit: Hmpf, i'm totally lost now. In Kodi, "allow hardware acceleration - DXVA2" is set to OFF. In my picture settings, i use: Lanczos3 optimized, but i still have the washed-out and yellowish problem :/

@capfuturo Finally, i found a topic that describes my problem, although it's over a year old. I hope someone is still watching Wink

I have the same issue, washed out greys!

My hardware setup:
HTPC: Gigabyte Brix GB-XM12-3227 ( Intel® HD 4000 graphics) with Kodi 16.1 Jarvis
TV: Panasonic TX-55CX700E (connected with HDMI)

I followed this acticle to setup each of my devices. http://lifehacker.com/how-to-get-better-...1700412363

So i have it like this:

Video Player: RGB Limited (16-235). You can do this in Kodi by going to Settings > System > Video Output.
Video Card Drivers: RGB Full (0-255).
TV Settings: RGB Limited (16-235).

and this:

In Kodi, make sure your Settings are set to Expert and head to System > Video > Acceleration and uncheck “Allow Hardware Acceleration” (usually DXVA2 or VAAPI).

My problem? Yes, washed out blacks. I have been trying and trying to get my picture quality decent, but whatever i try with contrast, brightness etc - it's afwul. Also the colors are yellowish.

As i understand, you have found a way to fix the problem, ánd you keep using DXVA2 (which should give a better picture quality over Hardware acceleration). You did this by tweaking the brightness and contract settings in your Intel drivers, am i correct?

Would you be so kind to share your entire setup/settings with me? I am confused about how eveything (TV, Intel drivers and Kodi settings) should be tuned. That would be very, very helpful!
Just stumbled across this thread as I have washed out greys and bright yellows, very noticeable in Game of Thrones especially with the night scenes being very bad and the Westeros scenes looking too bright...

Interested to know the exact setup you have that works with intel HD graphics over HDMI, as I'm using a NUC I don't have the option of changing my graphics card else I would do that...
Try changing the 16-235 setting.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
GOTHAM 13.1 - WASHED-OUT BLACKS WITH DXVA2 + INTEL HD46000