• 2(current)
Release [SteamOS] Kodi repository
Quote:Running on Linux 64-bit (SteamOS GNU/Linux 1.0 (alchemist), 3.10-3-amd64 x86_64)

Oh no - they really ship a 3.10 kernel :-(
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
Hi Guys

I was in the process of installing XBMC on a fresh steamOS install, and it says I have broken dependencies :

Code:
desktop@ikasteam:~$ sudo apt-get install xbmc
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
Some packages could not be installed. This may mean that you have
requested an impossible situation or if you are using the unstable
distribution that some required packages have not yet been created or been moved out of Incoming.
The following information may help to resolve the situation:
Code:
The following packages have unmet dependencies:
xbmc : Depends: xbmc-bin (>= 2:13.1~git20140609.0800-f2acae7-0) but it is not going to be installed
Depends: xbmc-bin (< 2:13.1~git20140609.0800-f2acae7-0.1~) but it is not going to be installed
Recommends: libva-intel-vaapi-driver but it is not installable
E: Unable to correct problems, you have held broken packages.
I did a :
Code:
desktop@ikasteam:~$ sudo apt-get -f install
Building dependency tree
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.

How do I go through that ?
@wsnipex (or any devs involved with this) I just remembered I have a spare code for civ5 + some dlc that I'll donate to celebrate this and civ5 on linux. If anyone has a use for this let me know and I can pm you the codes.
I two problems so far.

If i enable Live-TV without any Live-TV addons via apt-get installed. XBMC freezes.

The pulse eight cec adapter isn't working (as expected, because steam is not running as root).
steam does not need to be run as root, just make sure the device node is chowned correctly and your user is in the relevant group.
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
Yeah sometimes i don't see the easiest solution Smile

It is now working!
(2014-06-11, 03:00)jazz1138t Wrote: 2.) When a wireless XBOX360 controller goes to sleep. XBMC will not register it's presence when you wake it back up so you have to revert to using the keyboard. It would also be nice if we could make under input "use joystiks" a default option for this version of XBMC.

Ive done a PR regarding the setting and it seems like some hardware has issues with our joystick code. As soon as I get my proper Xbox 360 control I'll dig through it and see if I can find these problems. I assume you have a wireless one?
If you have problems please read this before posting

Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

"Well Im gonna download the code and look at it a bit but I'm certainly not a really good C/C++ programer but I'd help as much as I can, I mostly write in C#."
@topfs2 yeah it occurs with a wireless 360 controller (I can test with a wired one), but it seems to depend on which driver is used. The stock xpad driver in Ubuntu 14.04 is auto detected, while with the steamos-xpad driver its not auto detected. Apparently the same thing happens with ps3 controllers connected via bluetooth: http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=197747

I can provide logs if you want. There is a issue on trac here http://trac.xbmc.org/ticket/14956
(2014-06-11, 23:55)korb3nx Wrote: Hi Guys

I was in the process of installing XBMC on a fresh steamOS install, and it says I have broken dependencies :

Code:
desktop@ikasteam:~$ sudo apt-get install xbmc
Building dependency tree
Some packages could not be installed. This may mean that you have
requested an impossible situation or if you are using the unstable
distribution that some required packages have not yet been created or been moved out of Incoming.
The following information may help to resolve the situation:
Code:
The following packages have unmet dependencies:
xbmc : Depends: xbmc-bin (>= 2:13.1~git20140609.0800-f2acae7-0) but it is not going to be installed
Depends: xbmc-bin (< 2:13.1~git20140609.0800-f2acae7-0.1~) but it is not going to be installed
Recommends: libva-intel-vaapi-driver but it is not installable
E: Unable to correct problems, you have held broken packages.
I did a :
Code:
desktop@ikasteam:~$ sudo apt-get -f install
Building dependency tree
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.

How do I go through that ?

This is a fault in the apt pinning preferences. XBMC requires a newer version of libtag1c2a than is provided by SteamOS Alchemist. To fix this without risking unnecessary breakage with replaced core packages use the following preferences file instead:

Package: *
Pin: origin mirrors.xbmc.org
Pin-Priority: 500

Pin: release l=SteamOS
Pin-Priority: 800

Package: libtag1c2a
Pin-Priority: 900
(2014-06-12, 04:08)teeedubb Wrote: @wsnipex (or any devs involved with this) I just remembered I have a spare code for civ5 + some dlc that I'll donate to celebrate this and civ5 on linux. If anyone has a use for this let me know and I can pm you the codes.

I'd love to play some civ5 Smile
Pm sent, enjoy! Smile

Apologies to everyone else if wanipex dissapears for the next few weeks Tongue
(2014-06-17, 12:55)AsavarTzeth Wrote: This is a fault in the apt pinning preferences. XBMC requires a newer version of libtag1c2a than is provided by SteamOS Alchemist. To fix this without risking unnecessary breakage with replaced core packages use the following preferences file instead:

Pin-Priority: 500

Pin: release l=SteamOS
Pin-Priority: 800

Package: libtag1c2a
Pin-Priority: 900

I will try that thanks for the answer Smile
(2014-06-11, 03:00)jazz1138t Wrote: Great work guys, this is going to save me a heap of time. Previously I was compiling my own and using the wheezy apt mirror for xbmc build deps.

Unfortunately like the version I have been compiling and using for the last few months there are a few things still to work out:

1.) "Adjust display refresh rate to match video" does not work when you run XBMC under the steam user (Big Picture Mode). Presumably the steamos compositor is blocking this. This results in a stutter on long panning shots on most TV's. To get around this I have replaced the gnome.desktop xsession with the XBMC.session.

2.) When a wireless XBOX360 controller goes to sleep. XBMC will not register it's presence when you wake it back up so you have to revert to using the keyboard. It would also be nice if we could make under input "use joystiks" a default option for this version of XBMC.

3.) To get passthrough (AC3,DTS) audio to work I must add the line 'pactl set-sink-formats 0 "pcm; ac3-iec61937; dts-iec61937; eac3-iec61937"' to the paulseadio section of xbmc-standalone. This is probably just me as BPM refuses to apply these settings after reboot probably because both my Nvidia card's use the second sink for HDMI output instead of the first.

Also a note to those who use an HDMI amp and wish to passthrough Dolby/DTS streams to it. Make sure that in the SteamOS audio settings you have it set to "HDMI Stereo" and in XBMC set your audio settings to "HDMI 2.0" Only then can you enable passthrough. Seems counter-intuitive I know.

Cheers,

Jarrad.

Could you talk about #1? I'm new to the interface, and I'm having a problem with only the full-screen view of xbmc launched with the big picture shortcut.

Launching xbmc from the desktop view works normally. Launching fullscreen from big picture gives a big mess of non-updating image, although the menu and sounds seem to still work. I can switch to windowed with '\' and it works ok, but it's a small resolution and messy.
Guys Ive updated my Steam Launcher addon to work with SteamOS. It works on the premise that XBMC is run in the desktop session (which can be on the gnome desktop, or with xbmc in its own session), which after reading some posts in this thread it seems to be the best way to run XBMC. I've also posted some info about creating a second XBMC launcher that will launch XBMC in the desktop session and how to replace the desktop session with a xbmc session. See here.
Hi there,

first - thanks for the efforts - xbmc and steam are the applications that I want on my HTPC.

I've been playing around a little and thus I have some questions:

1) Is there a way to easily switch what application/xsession appears after boot-up? currently I boot into steam and then select quit to desktop to start xbmc (/usr/share/xsessions -> copied xbmc into gnome)

2) I'm a AMD A8-3850 (llano) user and have a BCM70015 for anything that the AMD can't handle. Right now neither AMD hardware acceleration nor crystalhd(not selectable) work. Sad Especially bad in combination with broken software-decoding:

3) I'm running software decoding and have a very strange behaviour: Videos don't play smooth. It looks like it would only play with 5 fps instead of 24. I first thought it's a limitation of my CPU but when I go to the xbmc menu (where music, programms, system etc shows) the movie that plays in the background runs nicely. So how can I not have enough horsepower to decode the video when I have enough to decode AND reder the GUI. Strangely just moving the mouse pointer to get the GUI where you can skip forward doesn't improve the playback. But then clicking on the top right X to get to the main menu results in smooth playback. WTF?
[EDIT: works when I disable "sync playback to to display", independent from the method, only disabling fixed it for me]

Cheers,
Michael
  • 2(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[SteamOS] Kodi repository2