[SteamOS] Xbmc repository beta testing

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
wsnipex Offline
Team-XBMC packaging monkey
the low fps issue is caused by wrong audio settings in combination with sync playback to display. Set audio channels to 2.0 and disable passthrough.
find quote
Michael.Heimann Offline
Interesting - I can agree that turning off "sync playback to display" fixes the issue.

But I can't find wrong audio settings...
How should I setup audio? I've got a receiver that decodes DD, DTS and I only want sound over HDMI. Thus I want passthrough, isn't it?
I've set my speaker setup to 5.0 (which it is), enabled passthrough and enabled the checkboxes that the receiver can decode DTS and DD. I've selected HDMI as sound output (via pulseaudio).

When I play a movie, I can see my receiver shows an incoming DTS stream so I "guess" that works.

What am I missing?

Cheers,
Michael
find quote
fritsch Offline
Team-XBMC Developer
Quote:I've set my speaker setup to 5.0 (which it is), enabled passthrough and enabled the checkboxes that the receiver can decode DTS and DD. I've selected HDMI as sound output (via pulseaudio).

On kernel 3.10 there is no driver that can open more than 2 pcm channels on your AMD hardware. DTS, AC3 are compressed signals sent via 2 channels only.

Debug Log or it never happened.

Audio Engine: SPDIF has only 2 pcm channels. DTS, AC3 are encoded via those 2 channels. It's obviously clear that you are not able to change Speaker Layout when running via SPDIF.
Settings missing? Read the FAQ: http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=XBM...otham)_FAQ
No help without a proper Debug Log
find quote
Michael.Heimann Offline
Sad to hear - so I guess I have the most incompatible hardware possible - AMD making it impossible to accelerate decoding, impossible to passthrough surround sound and crystalhd not being supported.

But I'm still wondering why my receiver insists that it's decoding DTS when it can't be ...

I've followed the link and uploaded the logs here:
http://xbmclogs.com/show.php?id=238187

What would be the correct sound config in my situation then?

Cheers,
Michael
(This post was last modified: 2014-06-30 22:07 by Michael.Heimann.)
find quote
fritsch Offline
Team-XBMC Developer
DTS, AC3 are send via 2(!) pcm channels. So also old kernel with old drivers can play that.

Edit: And from the logfile that looks good, done via pulseaudio

Audio Engine: SPDIF has only 2 pcm channels. DTS, AC3 are encoded via those 2 channels. It's obviously clear that you are not able to change Speaker Layout when running via SPDIF.
Settings missing? Read the FAQ: http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=XBM...otham)_FAQ
(This post was last modified: 2014-07-01 00:09 by fritsch.)
find quote
Michael.Heimann Offline
So that means my soundconfig is right and "sync playback to display" is broken?
find quote
fritsch Offline
Team-XBMC Developer
Nope - most likely again an fglrx driver issue ... works on all other platforms nvidia, intel, raden oss, windows, mac, etc. ...

find quote
Nihil Offline
Hello. I'm new to XBMC and I need some help with getting it to work.
I had no problems with installing SteamOS on my newly built HTPC (CPU: i3-4130T, MB: Asus H87I-Plus, GPU: Intel HD 4400, RAM: 2GB), but when I tried to install XBMC on SteamOS following instructions from the 1st post of this topic I ended with this:
Code:
desktop@steamos:~$ sudo apt-get install xbmc
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
Some packages could not be installed. This may mean that you have
requested an impossible situation or if you are using the unstable
distribution that some required packages have not yet been created
or been moved out of Incoming.
The following information may help to resolve the situation:

The following packages have unmet dependencies:
xbmc : Depends: xbmc-bin (>= 2:13.1~git20140609.0800-f2acae7-0) but it is n$
        Depends: xbmc-bin (< 2:13.1~git20140609.0800-f2acae7-0.1~) but it is$
        Recommends: libva-intel-vaapi-driver but it is not installable
E: Unable to correct problems, you have held broken packages.

Then I've installed SteamOS in VirtualBox (it wasn't that easy) and got the exact same error after "sudo apt-get install xbmc" command...

Any ideas how to solve this dependencies error?
(This post was last modified: 2014-07-01 22:56 by Nihil.)
find quote