Win Poor sound quality (HDMI -> TV, Intel chipset)
Hi there,

The Problem
I'm facing severe audio problems with my relatively new HTPC. It sounds like the audio is over... overamplified? (german->english translation), as if the adjustment had put too much +db on top. (I'm sorry for the messed up English, but it's quite technical stuff here Huh ) Furthermore, I really have to turn up the volume of the TV to get some output. Usually, we're watching TV at volume between 7 and 15, but for the HTPC, we have to turn the volume up to 40, sometimes even 50 or 70 for acceptable sound.

My Hardware
I'm using a ASUS Z87I-PRO (C2), and it is connected via HDMI with one of the three HDMI inputs of my TV. It's an Intel® Z87 Express chipset with an i3-4330 CPU. The device manager says that the audio driver (Intel Display-Audio) is version 6.16.0.3129 from 2013-10-16. The graphics card (in the chipset, I don't have a dedicated one) is "Intel HD Graphics 4600", version 10.18.10.3621, updated 2014-05-16.

The TV appears to be fine. I have a Chromecast and it works splendid. Changing the HDMI port for the server didn't have any effect. I don't have another TV or display with which I could test the output. I also don't have an AVR or the like.

My Software
Running Windows 8.0 64bit. XBMC 13.0. foobar2000 and Windows Media Player have the same audio difficulties.

I was really glad when Intel fixed the video problem earlier this year, but now the audio problem has become quite annoying Undecided I'll be glad for any advice what I could do to fix this issue!

Thanks in advance,
Momro
The problem has been the TV. I guess it was too old and the speakers were damaged due to that. Replaced the TV -> sound is perfect.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Poor sound quality (HDMI -> TV, Intel chipset)0