Updated XBMCbuntu 13, now crashes on startup
Sad 
Hi all,

I'm running XBMCbuntu on this old laptop, it's not even 64bit… I haven't used it in a while, now I wanted to put it to work. Turned it on, everything working fine. Then I did an apt-get update and upgrade. Now it crashes on startup.

For some reason having a vague memory it could be something related to Gotham, I downgraded to the version of Frodo I had before. Still crash on startup.

I tried moving my .xbmc out of the way, that made no difference. Even created a whole new user and tried logging in with it, still crash. Network on or off, no difference. Open source or fglrx driver, same thing.

Log with debug: http://xbmclogs.com/show.php?id=222485
Quote:04:09:14 T:3031922496 NOTICE: GL_RENDERER = Mesa DRI R200 (RV250 4C66) x86/MMX/SSE2 TCL DRI2
04:09:14 T:3031922496 NOTICE: GL_VERSION = 1.3 Mesa 10.1.3
04:09:14 T:3031922496 NOTICE: GL_SHADING_LANGUAGE_VERSION = 1.20

What do you expect with that GPU?
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
Well, it was running fine (but slow) until yesterday, I expect it to continue :-)
Big Grin 
SOLVED!

Somehow I remembered I had crashes before, so a little digging and I found how I got around it…

All I had to do was edit the xbmc-standalone script to add:
Code:
export MESA_GL_VERSION_OVERRIDE=3.0

(Now, editing the script is a bad idea, because it will be overwritten on updates. A better solution is to write a wrapper script, but then you need to edit /usr/share/xsessions/XBMC.desktop to call your script, and that too will be overwritten on updates, bummer. There's probably some other way to get this variable exported so that it's available to xbmc. For now I'm happy with my hacked script and having to remember it on updates.)

Now I'm happily running Gotham, and what's better, some videos that were choppy or didn't play at all before are playing just fine now! Laugh
In Video -> Acceleration, there is a setting for Decoding Method. If you set this to Software it will use all CPUs.
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
lalomartins, where is this xbmc-standalone script you're talking about? I am running xbmc, but not as a standalone. I do need to override my gl version, though. Where would I be able to do this on a standard installation?
(2014-06-21, 08:08)3by5 Wrote: lalomartins, where is this xbmc-standalone script you're talking about? I am running xbmc, but not as a standalone. I do need to override my gl version, though. Where would I be able to do this on a standard installation?

You mean you're using it from a normal session, in ubuntu or lubuntu or something?

If that's what you mean — /usr/bin/xbmc is also a wrapper shell script, you can make the same change I made.

If you just mean you're using XBMCbuntu, then no, you are using standalone :-) xbmc-standalone is the mode and script xbmc runs under when it's run as a session.
hi lalomartins, sorry for the slow reply.

I don't use XBMCbuntu, but I am running Ubuntu and I will open xbmc in a normal ubuntu/unity session sometimes, but mostly I run an xbmc session.

Either way, I need to be able to reproduce what you did to override my gl version. Can you tell me what file I need to modify, and the path to get there? Thanks so much.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Updated XBMCbuntu 13, now crashes on startup0