Advice needed: best set-up for Acer R3610
Hi there Big Grin

Device: Acer Revo 3610 - 1.6 Ghz Atom dual core - 2gb ram - regular 5400 rpm HDD

I recently set up my R3610 up to run Openelec booting from an SD card, with the possibility to boot from the HDD to Windows.

I don't really need the Windows installation on the device, but figured it would be easier to play with XBMC in the beginning to just boot from SD card instead of wiping the HDD.

My problem is that the whole Openelec/XBMC experience on my current set-up is very laggy and slow. I have a 50/50 mbit/s connection and have the R3610 connected with an ethernet cable.

I start to wonder if Openelec is the best option for setting up my R3610, or maybe I should be looking into XBMCbuntu. Could the slow and laggy experience have something to do with Windows being installed on the device, or the fact that I'm booting from an SD card, instead of installing Openelec(or any other XBMC) on the HDD and hence wiping Windows etc from it?

Any advice would be greately appreciated Wink

Thanks!
Your issue is its booting from an SD Card. If you don't want to loose Windows just boot Openelec from a USB stick. 16Gb should be enough. Will be faster than SD card but still not as fast as HDD. Have you tried dual booting? That way you wont loose Windows and gain the extra speed from booting from HDD. Personally I would replace the 5400 HDD and stick in an SSD drive This is the single biggest improvement you can make to speed up a slow / laggy computer.
(2014-06-10, 14:19)Mark142 Wrote: Your issue is its booting from an SD Card. If you don't want to loose Windows just boot Openelec from a USB stick. 16Gb should be enough. Will be faster than SD card but still not as fast as HDD. Have you tried dual booting? That way you wont loose Windows and gain the extra speed from booting from HDD. Personally I would replace the 5400 HDD and stick in an SSD drive This is the single biggest improvement you can make to speed up a slow / laggy computer.

I'm dedicating the R3610 to xbmc, so it's not a problem to loose Windows. My impression was that SD card/USB stick would be faster than HDD since their memory is flash, resembling SSD more than HDD. Maybe I should try installing Openelec on the HDD.

SSD would of course be a good option but I'm trying to keep the costs down and the computer is not slow and laggy when running Windows at all, only when booting into Openelec.
If your using only for xbmx. Then install openelec to hdd and away you go. You should notice a big difference.
That did wonders. Thanks! Smile

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Advice needed: best set-up for Acer R36100