How many thumbnails?
Hey guys,

Just posting this for a giggle.

Recently hit properties on my xbmc thumbnails folder, and got this result!
My build was installed on Jan 29th 2013 ( so about 1.5 years ago )

I just thought it was quite an eye-opener ! Big Grin
Anyone else want to share? Smile

highest I have gotten up to was about 6GB

I guess it depends on two things:

1) How big your library is

2) Whether you browse through and stream a lot of online videos (all the thumbs for online videos in plugins are pretty much stored)
Lol. Mine's up to 28GB! Huh. Guess I need to upgrade the SSD to a 256 soon!
Quick Links: debug log (wiki) | userdata (wiki) | advancedsettings (wiki) | adding videos to the library (wiki)
28gb! woah! incredible. I would love to have an SSD. sell me yours when you're done? ;-) jk

aptalca, yeah I do an awful lot of video-addons.

I'm reluctant to upgrade my build, it's been going so long, and has a 'lived-in' feel :-) :-)

It's 12 Frodo, first official final build I believe.
Just prune your texture cache with the script in my sig ("P" option). You could even schedule it so that the script runs on a regular basis, eg. weekly.
Texture Cache Maintenance Utility: Preload your texture cache for optimal UI performance. Remotely manage media libraries. Purge unused artwork to free up space. Find missing media. Configurable QA check to highlight metadata issues. Aid in diagnosis of library and cache related problems.
Only 1.5 GB. I guess I don't have as large of a library as you guys?
(2014-06-10, 21:48)MilhouseVH Wrote: Just prune your texture cache with the script in my sig ("P" option). You could even schedule it so that the script runs on a regular basis, eg. weekly.

Sounds nice and all, but I have no familiarization with using python or how to get that script to work! Would try it if I did. I'm afraid the thread doesn't illuminate too much for non-programmers/coders....

I'm semi-comfortable with command line, however:
Where do you place texturecache.py?
What exactly do you type to prune the texture cache?
(2014-06-11, 18:21)MilhouseVH Wrote: Anywhere you like - c:\ or your home folder if you're on Linux (if you want a technical discussion it often helps to mention your platform so that specific answers can be given). To prune, on Linux, type "./texturecache.py P". Other platforms will differ, eg. Windows "texturecache.py P" should work as long as Python is in your PATH, otherwise "drive:\path\to\python.exe texturecache.py P" will work.

I would suggest posting in the texturecache thread if you want to avoid derailing this thread.

Off and running now. Thanks for the clarification.
Quick Links: debug log (wiki) | userdata (wiki) | advancedsettings (wiki) | adding videos to the library (wiki)
(2014-06-11, 17:48)thrak76 Wrote: Sounds nice and all, but I have no familiarization with using python or how to get that script to work! Would try it if I did. I'm afraid the thread doesn't illuminate too much for non-programmers/coders....

I'm really not sure how you can say that assuming you read the first post in the thread - just skip to the two line installation instructions, it's not that hard to install and make work.

If you're running a Linux platform you won't even have to install Python first, and installing Python on Windows is not difficult (if you installed XBMC, you can install Python).

Then again running scripts from a command line isn't for everyone, I understand and appreciate that.
Texture Cache Maintenance Utility: Preload your texture cache for optimal UI performance. Remotely manage media libraries. Purge unused artwork to free up space. Find missing media. Configurable QA check to highlight metadata issues. Aid in diagnosis of library and cache related problems.
There is a plugin from m4x that cleans this folder out for you, runs a simulation, or a copy, or a backup and/or a clean. It's currently being updated as it has a slight bug (unable to exit) but works perfectly for all who have used it, update should be I'm soon Wink

It references files in use etc and won't do anything you don't want it to. Just run a simulation and see, some users have had up to 7gb in a few minutes removed. I was up over 30gb of shit (I think it was pron thumbnails) and it dropped me down to about 12 gig after I ran it :d
Well, after using the Texture Cache Maintenance utility created by MillhouseVH, i got the cache down to ~1.6GB. Quite the difference from the previous 28GB! I perhaps noticed some "zippier" performance, and no adverse affects when browsing my libraries.

I've now got the utility scheduled to run once a week.
(2014-06-12, 08:18)thrak76 Wrote: Well, after using the Texture Cache Maintenance utility created by MillhouseVH, i got the cache down to ~1.6GB. Quite the difference from the previous 28GB! I perhaps noticed some "zippier" performance, and no adverse affects when browsing my libraries.

Sounds brilliant I must give it a go.
Or... you could just use the incredibly simple plugin created by m4x that does all of this for you, automagically in 1 simple button click Big Grin

Update coming this weekend to fix the exit bug.
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=158972&page=12
(2014-06-12, 08:18)thrak76 Wrote: Well, after using the Texture Cache Maintenance utility created by MillhouseVH, i got the cache down to ~1.6GB. Quite the difference from the previous 28GB! I perhaps noticed some "zippier" performance, and no adverse affects when browsing my libraries.

I've now got the utility scheduled to run once a week.

Yes absolutely, Millhouse made the garbage collection way more effective and easy even for non techies to use, with that nifty little script of his, I use his script often though I dont have it scheduled but it seems like a good practice.

1.6Gb from 28GB is a hell of a lot...
Frodo thumbnail 24.6 gigs
Gotham thumbnail 5.2 gigs

Same thumbnails, XBMC should have some auto clean-up utility.

Reduced to 2.9 gigs after thumbnail cleanup
(2014-06-13, 17:48)PatK Wrote: Same thumbnails, XBMC should have some auto clean-up utility.

Agreed! Doesn't even have to be configurable. Just run as a service in the background occasionally.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
How many thumbnails?0