Can a Celeron J1900 (Bay Trail) system play 1080p60
Hello all. I'm looking to retire my Acer Aspire R1600 nettop (Atom 230 CPU / ION) running XBMCbuntu because it can't play 1080p60 without stuttering. I record all my TV shows in 1080i and deinterlace to 1080p60 during the MPEG-4 transcode, so playing back these files is very important.

My question is if anyone out there uses a Celeron J1900 quad-core or similar CPU to play back 1080p60, and if so, what are your results? For context, the system will be running Windows 8.1 with 4GB of RAM and the onboard graphics will be used. Any input is appreciated.
Could you provide a sample video? I'll try it on Q1900-ITX (XBMBUNTU)
Thank you very much for offering to test this out for me. I've PMed you a link to a sample.

For anyone else reading this, the video specs are MKV, 1920x1080 progressive, 59.94fps, H.264 High L4.1 with 4 Ref frames, 4750kbps video bitrate, AC-3 6-channel audio at 384kbps/48khz. Handbrake is used as the encoder.
Just tested it. Overall video plays just fine, can't see any stutter/jugger or anything which would ruin the viewing experience. However, the FPS is not constant 60 FPS. It mostly stays at 59.94. The CPU usage is not that high as well, CORE1 hovers around 22ish%, 2nd core at 15ish and so on.
Awesome. Thank you very much for testing that for me. My new system has been ordered - an Acer AXC-603G-UW30 for $220 at newegg Smile I'll chime back in on this thread and confirm that everything works when running in a Windows 8 environment as well, just in case others have the same concern.
That's funny, I just had my friend order the same one earlier today. Don't forget the $40 MIR so $180.
That's an extremely good deal. $180 for the PC fully built? Even if Refurbished great deal.
(2014-06-11, 07:17)tential Wrote: That's an extremely good deal. $180 for the PC fully built? Even if Refurbished great deal.
Yes, a fully assembled PC with Windows 8 for $180 is a great deal. It's a small factor case too. I was looking at that deal a couple days ago but I couldn't justify buying another computer as I have too many Big Grin
This PC is on offer from eBuyer here in the UK http://www.ebuyer.com/613262-acer-aspire...-sulek-004 , I am very interested in buying this to run Windows 8.1 with XBMC Gotham, it seems that it supports 1080p, would this handle the heavy skins for XBMC and would I be able to stick another HDD inside to boost the storage, I have USB Flirc so hopefully that would sort out the remote?.

Any information would be appreciated.
I just wanted to pop in and say that this system is great for XBMC. I spent about 10 minutes uninstalling pre-loaded crapware, another 20-30 installing Windows updates, then I installed XBMC and XBMC Launcher (so that it comes up automatically on startup). It handles my 1080p60 videos easily and I presume will handle anything else I throw at it.

It's overall very quiet, but since it's in the bedroom I may try to see if there's a way to install an 80 or 120mm silent fan on the CPU instead of the tiny one it's got on it. Not necessary by any means, but I'm a tinkerer Smile

In my opinion it's easily worth the 220 I paid and still worth the 250 normal price. To Jay La Funk, that appears to be the exact same system I bought. I haven't tried anything but the confluence skin, but I don't see any reason it shouldn't handle the more intense skins.
@alexpigment, thank you for the info...

Couple of more question that hopefully someone can answer
What is the maximum size HDD that I could swap for the 500GB that comes with it
Would it be possible to add a SSD for the operating system
Would it be possible to add a TV card
Can you lay in down to fit on TV stand instead of upright.

Thanks in advance.
Jay,

1) I don't see any reason why there would be a maximum hard drive size, to be honest. There's another model that comes with 1TB, so I know for sure that would work.

2) I haven't opened the box up yet to see if there's an additional slot for an SSD, but I'm sure it's possible to fit one in there. The real question is how many open SATA ports there are, which I don't know. At the very least, you could unplug the DVD burner and use its SATA cables.

3) I'm not sure if there are open PCI Express ports in the box yet, but you could definitely use a USB-based TV tuner (e.g. Hauppauge WinTV HVR-950Q, which I use on my other system for OTA broadcasts).

4) Yes, you should be able to lay it down sideways. There are small vents on one of the sides, so as long as that side isn't covered up, you should be fine.

-----------

I was planning on opening it up to see more about it this weekend, so I'll write back if I have more information about your questions.
(2014-06-13, 16:39)alexpigment Wrote: Jay,

1) I don't see any reason why there would be a maximum hard drive size, to be honest. There's another model that comes with 1TB, so I know for sure that would work.

2) I haven't opened the box up yet to see if there's an additional slot for an SSD, but I'm sure it's possible to fit one in there. The real question is how many open SATA ports there are, which I don't know. At the very least, you could unplug the DVD burner and use its SATA cables.

3) I'm not sure if there are open PCI Express ports in the box yet, but you could definitely use a USB-based TV tuner (e.g. Hauppauge WinTV HVR-950Q, which I use on my other system for OTA broadcasts).

4) Yes, you should be able to lay it down sideways. There are small vents on one of the sides, so as long as that side isn't covered up, you should be fine.

-----------

I was planning on opening it up to see more about it this weekend, so I'll write back if I have more information about your questions.

Many thanks Alex, some great help there, really appreciate it, I am going ahead to order one now.

Cheers
Jay
@alex,

Can you tell me what Intel Graphics driver you are using, I have installed 15.33.18.64.3496(10.18.10.3496) on my Movie & TV videos (MKV, AVI, MP4) I am getting tearing and a weird zoom in and out effect at the sides, I am using Win 8.1 64 bit with Gotham 13.1
I'm considering one of the ASRock boards, they seem to offer more for the money. In particular,their DC boards sound nice, running off a DC laptop brick means less (no) PSU noise. One question I have, that would concern all J1900 boards, concerns the USB configuration. I know the 1900 has a great many USB2 ports, what I want to know though is how they are arranged, that is, what does the Universal Serial Bus Controllers list in Device manager look like. Does any one who has the Q1900-ITC, Q1900DC-ITX or Q1900TM-ITX be able to share that info? What I'm looking for is the number of USB Host Controllers.

The reason I am asking is that I have a USB-S/PDIF converter, which accepts input from a USB2 port, and works much better if it's the only device on that controller. I won't be adding much else, just a kbd and mouse (wireless). If there are more than one Host Controllers I'd be very happy. This system is meant to be a dedicated low power audio HTPC, built in a tiny box and a companion to the main HTPC.

BTW the USB sound device is a DXIO PRO 3, it gives wonderful sound, very clean and among the best I've heard. I'd very highly recommend them, especially over onboard sound, no matter the chip. There's no coincidence that manufacturers have tried shielding, daughter boards, 'audio only' sections of motherboard. USB boards / boxes like the DXIO get the signal out of that environment as quick as it can, via USB.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Can a Celeron J1900 (Bay Trail) system play 1080p600