OS X Macbook Pro noise
Hi everyone, so I had a Macbook Pro Mid-2010 laying around and decided to make it my HTPC (using a NAS to store all my data and have it connected to my TV). Just started using it the last 2 days after I did a complete OS restore to Maverick to take advantage as much as possible of the CPU and ram (only 8GB running memory clean everytime I only have 1GB of free available) from all the junk I had installed over the years. Just started using Aeon MQ5 skin and for the time being I am using my iPad/iPhone to control it (thinking of getting a cheap iTouch since everything I use is IP controlled) until I get an Apple Remote for quick use rather then going to the app everytime on the iPad. Today I wake up and do my usual routine before work and I walk into the living room and I hear some device going loudly. At first I thought it was my NAS as I usually only have it powered on at certain times of the day when I am home so when I got a closer look it was my Macbook Pro and it was pretty warm as well!

My question is more of tips and tricks in how to alleviate it, will enabling the screensaver not force XBMC to work as hard (currently it's completely off)? Am I missing a setting that could cause the Macbook to use more processing power then it should? I only started setting it up this weekend and LOVE it (makes TiVo look like complete garbage) but XBMC causing a constant strain on the Macbook is a little concerning and before I left I went into the app and made XBMC go into hibernation just so it would calm down.

Any help will always be appreciated.
Are you running XBMC v13.1?
Yes, the latest and greatest!
I wonder if this is the idle CPU issue that was supposed to have been addressed with versions after Frodo. I have the same issue on 13.1 on a 2011 Mac mini.
Macmini Server 2011 i7 Quad Core, OS 10.8.2, Amp Onkyo TX-SR308 USB WD drives 3x2TB TV Samsung Plasma 720p EyeTV Integration
There are only 10 kinds of people in this world, those who understand binary, and those who don't.

What was the "idle cpu issue" ... - did you have a look into the Activity Monitor to verify how much CPU XBMC uses when it happens?
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
HowTo setup NFS for Kodi: NFS (wiki)
HowTo configure avahi (zeroconf): Avahi_Zeroconf (wiki)
READ THE IOS FAQ!: iOS FAQ (wiki)
In the MQ 5 settings under general settings try changing to the setting that says something about "for with weaker gpu's". This alleviated the problem somewhat from me on my Mini. Though I do sit idle at around 20-30 percent and spike 100+ when browsing library. Is this normal for MQ 5? I dunno. It is a fancy theme.
For me on idle it's around 10-15% on idle meaning on the main screen which I don't see why my macbook could be going crazy for it.

As for the weaker GPU setting that is only to go in and out of menus so I think that is meant more for lagging issues.
Yeah I know that settings just for going in and out of menus but it seemed to have an effect for me. Maybe its just wishful thinking though!
Check your dirty regions and nofliptomeout settings in your advanced settings XML. I've found a setting of 1 and 0 respectively can significantly reduce CPU usage.
Can't seem to find that XML, any tips on where it is located? Also just checked while idle and going really loud that it was hovering around 50% CPU usage.
Look on the wiki about advancedsettings.xml. It doesn't exist by default. It goes in your userdata folder.
See Dirty regions (wiki)
Tried it all and nada, still randomly just goes loud. Is this specifically an OSX issue? If so I can just bootcamp another OS and be done with it. Thinking of installing openELEC. Anybody tried it on a macbook? Does it work with the IR sensor that is in the Macbook Pro? I am purchasing a remote for it so I don't have to use my iPad/iPhone to control it.
My 2009 MBP is able to idle in XBMC without kicking up the fan. It used to kick up the fan, but v13 changes had fixed that for me. Could be something else that is causing something to keep thinking/processing in XBMC.

I can't remember if it works out-of-the-box, but you should be able to use the built-in IR sensor on OpenELEC. Or at least on XBMCbuntu.
Ned, do you have an advancedsettings.xml or did it just work right out of the box with Gotham? I just don't get why it randomly starts revving like a jet.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Macbook Pro noise0