black screen with no way to see settings
Hey guys any help would be great:
2012 i7 mac mini
mavericks
xbmc Gotham newest update installed from dmg
using apple remote and mouse on smart phone
Can't find log to post (black screen)

Just installed xbmc from the downlosd site three days ago on mac mini with m avericks and was adjusting the settings on the true full screen tab under acceleration or video I think. When I switched the tab off for true full screen my screen went black. I deleted the userdata (that I could find) folder and reinstalled xbmc with a new dmg from the xbmc site and when I click on xbmc the black screen stil comes up. I dont have a keyboard yet just my mouse and digital keyboard on my phone. Can't find a way to get a fresh new copy of xbmc without my prior settings some how screwing things up. Love xbmc and any help would be amazing, I could use it. Sorry for no log but I can't see it with the black screen. Thanks
If you hold down the Opt key and pull down the Go menu in Finder you can select Library. Go to Library>Application Support and see if there is an XBMC folder there. Just delete it and reinstall the app. This should give you a fresh install.

Don't recommend using true fullscreen. Made the same mistake once myself.

Edit- Also FYI, the logs are stored in Library>Logs. Just for future reference.
ASUS Chromebox M004U (LibreELEC 8.2/Aeon Nox SiLVO)--->HDMI--->Onkyo TX-NR646--->HDMI--->Panasonic P65VT30
Thanks for the reply. I can't seem to go through that menu system that you're talking about in m avericks. The only way I can go is through finder-applications-xbmc. I deleted xbmc before and when I reinstalled it my settings must have been saved because the black screen popped up when i launched the application. Did I delete it the wrong way or am I missing another userdata folder that needs to be deletedd? After reinstalling and seeing the black screen I went to user data and deleted the folder. But the screen wasn't working still. Thanks
You deleted the userdata folder (wiki) located under /Users/<yourusername>/Library/Application Support/XBMC/ ?

EDIT: err, I'm a bit too slow in my reply :)
Assuming you can type stuff in using your iPhone, go into the Finder (click on the desktop, for example) and select the Go menu. Then select "Go to Folder..." and type in:

~/Library/

From there you should be able to go to Application Support/XBMC/userdata/

Delete the guisettings.xml file (or the whole folder, if you wish).
I unpacked xbmc in finder and found and deleted the user data folder under settings. Black screen still come up. Noon question but is the application tab and applicstion support in finder the same thing? Any ideas would be great thanks
You must delete the userdata folder in the location we are telling you about. The one inside of XBMC.app is just a copy of the defaults and it will be overridden by the copy that is still in your user folder.
Ok I need to get a keyboard because I can't get there with just a mouse. Thanks
Correct. If XBMC is running you can Quit by pushing Command Opt Esc and select XBMC. And then delete the xbmc folder as described.

If you have another mac on the same network you don't need a keyboard. You can just use screen sharing. You can also use iTeleport app from an iPhone (not free). I personally find iTeleport very handy for things like this.
ASUS Chromebox M004U (LibreELEC 8.2/Aeon Nox SiLVO)--->HDMI--->Onkyo TX-NR646--->HDMI--->Panasonic P65VT30
If you have an idevice you can load latest official ios remote for xbmc and should be able to turn that true fullscreen setting off from there.
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
HowTo setup NFS for Kodi: NFS (wiki)
HowTo configure avahi (zeroconf): Avahi_Zeroconf (wiki)
READ THE IOS FAQ!: iOS FAQ (wiki)
Thank you for all your help and responses I was able to do it with my remote mouse. Thank you guys so much. To be honest I had a freak out moment with the black screen and unplugged my mac while it was running. Now im afraid i may have damaged it somehow.its running fine im probably just being paranoid. Right?...oh no...
It's possible to corrupt files if the HDD was writing to the disk at the time you pulled the power, but there shouldn't be any hardware damage, and I wouldn't worry about one or two (or even a few...) hard shutdowns. We've all been there :)
https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc/pull/4894
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
HowTo setup NFS for Kodi: NFS (wiki)
HowTo configure avahi (zeroconf): Avahi_Zeroconf (wiki)
READ THE IOS FAQ!: iOS FAQ (wiki)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
black screen with no way to see settings0