Android 1080p for android box
i have bought a new box mele m8 (allwinner a31). I install the vidon.xbmc firstly. But it can not support sbs video, so i remove it and install the xbmc gotham instead.
But the problem is xbmc can not support 1080p video output while the native player and vidon.xbmc could support. The test is on two videos below, if you can see the words (Chinese) and pictures in the video clearly, then it is 1080p output, otherwise it is not.
http://pan.baidu.com/s/1eQpAjjs
The native player and vidon.xbmc could play the video clearly, but xbmc gatham failed.

I tried to search the reasons in the forum, it looks like a common issue and the common answer is firmware does not support 1080p output. That make me confused. Why native player and vidon.xbmc could support it even the firmware can not support? How xbmc detect the 1080p support from firmware, some more parameters? If there should be more support from firmware, I can send the this to manufacturer to check. If there is no evidence to show the problem, they will say that is the problem of xbmc, the native player could support 1080p output so there should no problem in firmware.
Playing video in a minimal GUI video player is very different from the full featured GLES driven GUI that XBMC uses. If your firmware does not support 1080p via GLES, then XBMC will only support what is available. It's not what your display can do but what your GLES can do.
How to check 1080p via GLES is supported or not? Any configuration file or some small check tools?
And in the xbmc wiki, allwinner a31 which used by mele m8 has been marked as supported in android device list. But actually, it can not support 1080p output via current firmware. So do you know is there any chip set could support 1080p output via your testing?
The A31 chipset supports 1080, but the installed firmware (OS) might not. It might just need an update or something.
(2014-05-29, 03:48)Ned Scott Wrote: The A31 chipset supports 1080, but the installed firmware (OS) might not. It might just need an update or something.

The problem is how to prove it is a firmware issue not software, since the native player has supported it. There shall be some evidences like configure file or some output from small tools.
I don't know, but from what Davilla said, it sounds like some players don't use OpenGL ES to play videos while some do. XBMC is built differently than the native player, so you get different behavior. Simple as that.
is there any existed android box support xbmc 1080p output?
Yes, there are several. I have two of them, the OUYA and an RK3188 stick called ugoo or something. You have one as well, but you need firmware that corrects the issue.
then how to get the firmware, from allwinner or mele?
is there any customized firmware for that?
I'm not sure. I've tried searching a bit for this and haven't found anything yet.
Probably 99% of recent boxes support native 1080p.
The manufacturers just lock them at 720p to play it safe.
All can support 1080p but most cannot render our GUI fast enough. That is the real reason why most boxes are clamped down to 720p for GLES. They CAN do it but not fast enough Smile
how about minix neo x7 mini? i found there are some 1080p kernel firewares. Dose it support xbmc 1080 output?
and another questions is about the color depth, i heard that no android box support 32bit, is that right?
(2014-05-30, 04:59)davilla Wrote: All can support 1080p but most cannot render our GUI fast enough. That is the real reason why most boxes are clamped down to 720p for GLES. They CAN do it but not fast enough Smile

Yep, that's what I call "play it safe", avoid user complains Wink
Although I never saw a modern box having any issues with our GUI, but some still lock them to 720p.
I have the Minix X7, and the resolution is set in the Minix to 1080p, but in the Minix edition of XBMC there is only one setting of 1280 X 672 @ 60hz. Is there anything I can do to play at 1080? Can I download a regular version of XBMC and use that? Will I lose anything special that was built for the X7? Haven't gotten any help at the Minix forums.
This is my info :
Samsung 60" TV with HDMI
Neo-X7-216A
Android Version 4.2.2
Kernel Version 3.0.36+
Build Number rk31sdk-eng 4.2.2
Vendor Software Version 2013-12-27 4.2.008

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
1080p for android box0