Best connection setup for HT?
Hey guys.

I was wondering what the best/preferred way of connecting a TV (with ARC) , AVR (with ARC), PS3 and Mac Mini (Xbmc) is in your opinions?
Pros & cons please Smile

At the moment the PS3 and Mac is connected to the AVR, and the AVR is connected to the TV by HDMI.
But I was wondering if connecting the PS3 and Mac directly to the TV would be better.
If you don't have any handshake issues then I would leave things as they are now. The only time I recommend going directly to the TV is if you have a cable box because a lot of them have the handshake issue when going to the AVR first. I have my cable box connected directly to the TV hdmi for the video, and use the optical out to the AVR for the audio.
If you connect the PS3 and Mac to the TV and then presumably the TV to the AVR, the best you'll get is stereo. If you want DTS/DD you need to go from the PS3/Mac to the AVR with at least the sound (SPDIF) or HDMI.
Thanks for the responses Smile

I thought I would be able to use ARC to transfer the sound from TV -> AVR to get DTS/DD etc... ?
Some TVs can do DD but a lot of them can't do DTS. Plus a lot of people have problems with ARC not working correctly.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Best connection setup for HT?0