Linux Remote stops working / xbmc crashes
Dear All,

Can you please help me troubleshoot why my remote stops working?

Several times a day, xbmc wont respond to my remote key presses, and the screensaver just continues to display.

If i am not mistaken, i seem to get a xbmc_crashlog-yyymmdd_hhmmss.log file created in my home directory, every time this happens, i reboot and all is well for a while again.

There is basically nothing much in the crash log , here is an example of one that just got created at the same time as my remote stopped working :
############## XBMC CRASH LOG ###############

################ SYSTEM INFO ################
Date: ons 11 jun 2014 20:17:46 CEST
XBMC Options:
Arch: i686
Kernel: Linux 3.13.0-29-generic #53-Ubuntu SMP Wed Jun 4 21:02:19 UTC 2014
Release: Ubuntu 14.04, Trusty Tahr
############## END SYSTEM INFO ##############

############### STACK TRACE #################

I am running Ubuntu 14.04LTS (32bit) and XBMC Gotham 13.1, with TVheadend also running on the same machine

My remote IR eye is detected in ubuntu as "Bus 003 Device 002: ID 0766:0204 Jess-Link Products Co., Ltd TopSpeed Cyberlink Remote Control"
(but i am using a harmony to control it)

I guess you want some logs from when this happens, is there a way to have debug logging enabled without having the OSD display where its logging to cpu load etc?

Many thanks in advanced for any input.

Br
Patric
Just a small addition :

I managed to find out how to enable debug logging without the osd text by using advancedsettings.xml

And when my cyberlink/harmony remote stops working, i can still control xbmc using my iphone & android phones remotes, so its not completely crashed, also worth noting is that my harmony can still control all other devices, just not the cyberlink ir/xbmc
Hello there,

I'm having the same problem with Gotham 13.1 ( uBuntunu version ) using Harmony One ( and the Microsoft Media Center IR receiver ).
This has never happened to me before in any previous versions of XBMC, and I've been a user since the days of Xbox1-Xbmc.

I have a ION-Zotac and numerous Xbmc remotes, and they all stop respond when this happens ( I've tried to swtich remotes, just in case there's something wrong with the remote ... but none of them work when this happens. ) - I simply cannot get back from this state so I have to completely turn off my XBMC ( by completely hard switching it off with the button on front ). I should note that the IR receiver IS getting signals from the remote as when I push the buttons, a little red light is appearing on the IR receiver, but nothing happens in the XBMC GUI.
The Harmony One always works right out of the box, from fresh installation of XBMC so I have not had to make any changes to the XBMC setup.
- The only thing I always need to do after a fresh XBMC installation is enable the wake-on-usb for my remote which is simply this stuff here ( to wake it up after hybernate ):
sudo pico /etc/rc.local
echo enabled > /sys/bus/usb/devices/3-6/power/wakeup
exit 0

This was also happening in Gotham 13.0 ... but then I updated to 13.1 with these commands:
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get upgrade
sudo apt-get install xbmc xbmc.bin

But the problem still exists, in version 13.1 of Gotham

This seems to happen randomly after watching for some time ( e.g. 10 - 130 minutes ... ) or not even watching,
just leaving the system on for some time, seems to be enough to cause this problem. Then the remote becomes unusable,
and I have not changed any settings in XBMC itself ( through the GUI ).

There is also one other thing I should note ...
I first experienced this problem when switching to the "Aeon MQ 5" skin ... I think I can confirm that the problem
was happening much more frequently with that skin ... so I switched back to Confluence and uninstalled the Aoen MQ 5 skin
- But unfortunatly this is also happening with Confluence :-(

Please have a look at this ...
Hey guys i too had this problem.

I posted about it but did not get it fixed, well in a way i did but didn't the only fix was to change my system.

Same problem, did clean install of Gotham 13 set every thing up system worked great then watched a hour long show any where from 5 mins to 30 mins xbmc didn't respond to the remote, same thing for movies and music. Music would work since most of my music is mp3 and lasted under 5 mins but full one file album rips it would do the same thing.

Upgraded to Gotham 13.1 when it was beta same thing over again, did a clean install of Gotham 13.1 stable and the same thing.

Now im wondering for those having the same problem if its the ION-Zotac boards for some reason, i too was running one and having the same problem with Gotham 13 and Gotham 13.1.

Spec's
ZOTAC IONITX-F-E Intel Atom 330 (1.6GHz, dual-core) Here
4 gig DDR2 800
Intel® SSD X25-M Series 80GB
and a MCE remote from Hauppauge

2nd System Spec's
ZOTAC IONITX-A-U Atom 330 (1.6GHz Dual-Core) Here
4 gig DDR2 800
Samsung 80gig HDD
and a MCE remote from Hauppauge

Both system had the same problem with the remote, i have 6 remotes and 6 receivers and i tested all 6 and they did the same thing even tested all 6 receivers with my Harmony 700 Advanced Universal Remote and it did the same thing.

Took an HP system i have just sitting doing nothing and pull the 4gig of ddr 800 ram and the ssd drive from zotac system 1 and dropped it in the HP system installed Gotham 13 set it all up and ran it for a few days with not troubles with the remote, upgraded to the Gotham 13.1 and the system is still working fine.

System spec's
HP Pavilion
4gig ddr 800
MSI Nvidia 210 1gig video card
Intel® SSD X25-M Series 80GB
MCE remote from Hauppauge

So for now will keep using the HP with Gotham 13.1 and keep running the Zotac's with xbmc 12 Frodo till this gets figured out.... Smile
Try to post a Debug Log and see. Concerning the crashlog, please do sudo apt-get install gdb so that we can actually see something. Also use a pastebin to post the results.
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
This is what I'm using, and getting the freezing remote in Gotham 13.1,

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0009ZB...UTF8&psc=1

and

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002BA5...UTF8&psc=1

and

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000TPX...UTF8&psc=1

I'll post a crash-log next time this happens ... is someone from the XBMC development team reading this post ?
Quote:I'll post a crash-log next time this happens ... is someone from the XBMC development team reading this post ?

I already read that thread, but need the requested data. I already have an idea on what is going wrong, let's see.
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
Don't know if there's any crash-log when this happens.... but I'll check and post it to you if it is, after work today

Kind regards,
(2014-06-12, 09:02)fritsch Wrote: Try to post a Debug Log and see. Concerning the crashlog, please do sudo apt-get install gdb so that we can actually see something. Also use a pastebin to post the results.

Hi i have gdb installed already but did not have debugging on, will that make a difference in the crash log now?

I also do not have a zotac, but an older hp desktop

Will post debug log tonight when i come home as it will most likely stop working at some point
nope just get me the backtrace - anything that's more than an empty backtrace will help.
Hi again,

This is the only "trace" I get, when the remote control stopped working yesterday,

Filename: xbmc_crashlog-20140611_231654.log

############## XBMC CRASH LOG ###############

################ SYSTEM INFO ################
Date: Wed Jun 11 23:16:54 GMT 2014
XBMC Options:
Arch: x86_64
Kernel: Linux 3.13.0-27-generic #50-Ubuntu SMP Thu May 15 18:06:16 UTC 2014
Release: Ubuntu 14.04, Trusty Tahr
############## END SYSTEM INFO ##############

############### STACK TRACE #################
=====> Core file: /home/xbmc/core (2014-06-11 23:16:53.116712223 +0000)
=========================================

You probably need some more information, this is no good, right ?

Also opened a file in the root, called .xsession-errors.old ( also contains a file named .xsession-errors but it's 0kb and contains nothing )

This is what the .xsession-errors.old contained:

libva info: VA-API version 0.35.0
libva info: va_getDriverName() returns 0
libva info: Trying to open /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/dri/nvidia_drv_video.so
libva info: va_openDriver() returns -1
libva info: VA-API version 0.35.0
libva info: va_getDriverName() returns 0
libva info: Trying to open /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/dri/nvidia_drv_video.so
libva info: va_openDriver() returns -1
why don't you just post a Debug Log?

And btw.
Quote:libva info: Trying to open /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/dri/nvidia_drv_video.so

Disable VAAPI or uninstall that vaapi to vdpau wrapper, that's insane to run xbmc with that one. VAAPI is for intel only. Nvidia can use vdpau.
fritsch,

how do I disable VAAPI? This is the default settings, because I've not changed anything around the rendering mechanism.-

do you still want the debug log ?

kind regards,
I talk about the drivers that are running on your system. You have installed a VAAPI to vdpau wrapper and now try to use intel's vaapi on your nvidia gpu ...

Go to Video -> Acceleration and turn off VAAPI (you have an nvidia card, keep only vdpau and vdpau mixer). You need to switch to Advanced in order to see that, see the release announcement on how to do that.

Next time it crashes, post a debug log, that means: enable debugging (I gave you the link) and wait until it crashes.
I'll disable the VAAPI, but I did not do anything ( "You have installed a VAAPI to vdpau wrapper" ) to install this VAAPI stuff ... it must have come with the installation package?? I'll turn on advanced mode and disable this, than

I'll enable debugging and send you the log later tonight ... ... watching the World Cup in Brazil ;-)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Remote stops working / xbmc crashes0