Linux Remote stops working / xbmc crashes
45 minutes to go
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
Hi again,

I disabled the VAAPI acceleration and enabled the debugging mode. Moved back and forth in Gotham 13.1 ... played movies, fast-forwarded, rewinded ... skipped back and forth and browsed through various GUI's ... and even switched to the Aeon MQ 5 skin again ( which caused the problem right away before! ) but now the remote control just works ...

Could it be as simple as the turning off the VAAPI acceleration which did the trickHuh
- at least for us having NVidia cards which are able to use the built-in hardware acceleration on the GPU

At least I'm unable to re-produce the problem so far after I switched off the default VAAPI acceleration ... the uptime is now 142 minutes since reboot, without the remote control freezing once!

I'll post the logs if I'm able to re-prouce the problem though ...

p.s. I notice three very nice updates in XBMC 13.1:
- my sound ALWAYS works now after suspending from hybernate mode - this was a problem before
- my shares$ always work, playing from my uBuntu XBMC 13.1, streaming the material from another PC,
in previous version I often had to reboot, to activate the shares$ again ... very annoying. That's been fixed now!
- the "wake remote lan" or whatever it's called is very nice ... so it won't start with the "item no longer in library - do you want to remove yes/no",
this is now gone! ;-)
- I love the installer's 120 x 120 pixels ( or whatever the exact numbers were ) option - finally I'm able to see the fonts on my 60" when installing XBMC ;-)
No, most likely not.

No idea for the rest - I am just good enough to work with confluence.
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
ok, but you said,
"I already have an idea on what is going wrong, let's see."

What do you think the problem is, if I might ask ?

Kind regards,
I though of SDL giving up, sending SDL_QUIT message and xbmc gui hangs and input devices are lost. But no indication (as you also never posted a logfile).
The problem is still happening ... but I'm unable to re-produce it at demand ... the remote control is simply not working now!

- I plugged in a USB keyboard and THAT works ... without rebooting the machine

If I turn on the debug-mode ... the xbmc is unwatchable because of the tracing/logging on top of the screen ........
Maybe I can turn on debug mode and just make the XBMC stay, untouched ... to re-produce the problem?

This is the crash-log ( I KNOW it's not in debug-mode ... I'll get you that also ) ... but at least we know that disabling of VAAPI acceleration will NOT fix the problem ( just like you thought, I know )

############## XBMC CRASH LOG ###############

################ SYSTEM INFO ################
Date: Fri Jun 13 00:05:38 GMT 2014
XBMC Options:
Arch: x86_64
Kernel: Linux 3.13.0-27-generic #50-Ubuntu SMP Thu May 15 18:06:16 UTC 2014
Release: Ubuntu 14.04, Trusty Tahr
############## END SYSTEM INFO ##############

############### STACK TRACE #################
=====> Core file: /home/xbmc/core (2014-06-13 00:05:35.038584000 +0000)
=========================================
[New LWP 1591]
[New LWP 1587]
[New LWP 1351]
I got a crash log now ... but the remote IS working, used the crashlog upload tool, and here are the links:

Your debug xbmc.log: http://xbmclogs.com/show.php?id=225574
Your XBMC crashlog: http://xbmclogs.com/show.php?id=225575

Will this help at all?
Nope. Does not help.
Provide dmesg via ssh exactly after it stops working.
Thought so ... damn

What do you mean?
"dmesg via ssh" ... I'll just upload the same way I did last time, right?

Kind regards,
No, login via ssh (google ssh)
and get me:

dmesg | pastebinit
cat ~/.xbmc/temp/xbmc.log | pastebinit

I need all of those _after_ the bug has happened. It does not help to use the logfile uploader after the reboot.
Hi,

I did not get a crashlog generated, but my remote stopped working between 21.50 and 22.00

So have pasted my debug enabled log here : http://pastebin.com/AFcT7SjB (limited the log to around the crash so its not to big)

Hopefully this will help trace down the issue.

Many many thanks for your help fritch!

Br
PG
Nope, there is again nothing in. Please also provide dmesg | pastebinit when it happens. The other guy said, that his remote starts working again, when he replugs it - that rather sounds like a kernel issue - but no evidence yet.
hi,

also ran (without rebooting after the crash)
What you suggested for lord02,
and came up with : http://paste.ubuntu.com/7640603/
please also a kernel dmesg log - if that does not help, we need to attach the running xbmc.bin with gdb and see the threads where it is hanging.

After crash:
- 1.) login via ssh
- 2.) sudo apt-get install pastebinit
- 3.) dmesg | pastebinit
- 4.) cat ~/.xbmc/temp/xbmc.log | pastebinit

Commad 3 and 4 give an URL, I want those two
ok misssed that one, will go ahead tomorrow, thanks for the help so far!

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Remote stops working / xbmc crashes0