"Play using" recognises but won't play to certified dlna device (WMC does)?
Hi

Xbmc won't play to some of dlna certified devices, but WMC (play to) feature does?
Xbmc plays to other Xbmc instances fine, but not to my other devices? Is the upnp sharing xbmc 13 using (play using) different to windows "play to" and what exactly do other certified dlna devices need to update to become compatible with xbmcs take on "play to"
Tried again today using my dlna certified ark, this works with WMC and "play to" but xbmc only "sees" the device, but nothing happens when I try to "play using"

Xbmc to xbmc works as expected, but would anyone care to explanation if xbmcs "play using" feature differs to windows "play to" etc and/or if there are any restrictions/requirements for xbmcs "play using' feature?

These dlna devices work fine by choosing the same file, and opening it in WMC and send it using "play to" ... It plays as expected?

But launch xbmc, select the same file (which plays on both xbmc / WMC and the dlna device individually) nothing happens when you try to send it using "play using"

I have contacted my hardware vendor but it appears that xbmcs version of "play using" is somehow different to the "play to" WMC implementation?

Is this correct
I'm not sure but it maybe that WMC can do transcoding so it's always able to present streams to the target device in a format it recognises.

At the moment XBMC does no transcoding, so the target device must support the file format you are trying to stream via DLNA. Many DLNA players are severely restricted in the containers and codecs they support, so it requires careful reading of the specs or using trial and error to find what's supported. Sometimes the issue can be that a particular container such as mkv is not supported via DLNA but is via USB, so sometimes it maybe possible to trick the target device by renaming the mkv file into a type that is supported e.g. mp4.
Hi jj

That's a very good point.
I have contacted ark and am currently awaiting a response from them.

I have done more testing, and can confirm that the device supports the file (avi/mp3) if I pull it from xbmc via upnp, (from ark, search upnp, search xbmc video library, play file)

However, if f I try to push the same file (or I. Fact any file) rom xbmc to the device nothing happens?

I can only assume that the upnp play using feature is somehow different from play to feature, as if I close xbmc and play to (from WMC) it works as expected?

I have checked my log and nothing of interest shows up? ...
Is the play using feature bespoke to xbmc or is it the same as other instances such as play to etc..?

Ta
(2014-06-12, 17:22)DerekCuster Wrote: Hmm..
Ok now I have tried sending files to my Panasonic WT65B and it won't play back mp3s? It gets to the receiving file, sees the fan art, attempts to play the file, then returns back to my hdmi channel with no errors.

Log says cupnpplayer failed to find a matching resource?

Tried this with now all variations of music file, all variations of movie file, and it seems that play using only sends to my other xbmc devices and In fact ignors my HDTV, blu ray, ark, and other devices?

These devices support the files natively, and via upnp and yet....?

I assume I'm the only one experiencing this, but if anyone has the chance to try play using, and send the file to a TV, or blu ray player, or other non xbmc receiver it would be good to know if it works?

I can confirm I have 0 issues xbmc to xbmc but outside of that, absolutely none of my devices will play the file and xbmc reports that error above?

Update:
Ok I have now been able to get an mp3 to work, we'll kind of?
If I navigate TO xbmc FROM any other device, all works well (as always)
However, If I try to SEND the same file (anyfile) FROM xbmc TO another device, ERRORS appear on screen and in the logs.

For example, I have tried to send track "the hollow" from the album mer de noms to my WT65B Panasonic HDTV.
The TV understands that something is being sent to it, it displays a message, loads the album art and begins receiving song after song after song?... but skipping the file...? Then it comes across a song that it will play from that album, in this case track 5, at which point it will play track 5 (not the track I selected)

So xbmc is throwing back the cupnpplayer error on all files except ...?
I'll check the logs now...

Errors are as follows:
GUI - Playlist: Can't find a next item to play
logs - can't find a matching resourceHuh I'm sending it from xbmc from my library it's defiantly there Big Grin

I am sending the same files from WMC with success, therefore I will fall back onto WMC for push and xbmc for pull.

Seems like it's not affecting many users looks to be an issue with xbmc cupnpplayer claiming to not be able to find the resources that are already in use within the library?

If you guys look into it, I'll happily test and repot back, but I won't waste anymore more time on it as I'm working out a few other Gotham bugs right now and this doesn't appear to be of any significance Wink
Double post

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
"Play using" recognises but won't play to certified dlna device (WMC does)?0