Video worked w/Frodo, gotham choppy, Frodo choppy too, what gives? Frod workd B4
(2014-06-12, 17:15)kaito Wrote:
(2014-06-12, 15:11)xlo_olx Wrote:
(2014-06-12, 09:00)Ned Scott Wrote: Did you try it since talking to me in this thread and making sure other apps were quit?

Yes. And I did just now for good measure. It's still choppy.

I experienced the same thing with MyGica 520E. After upgrading my xbmc to the latest and greatest (12.3? last year), I didn't see any problems, then playing more videos revealed the choppiness. I then reverted back to the factory settings (12.1?) which fixed the video issue. My guess is that the manufacturer compiles the source with specific optimizations targeted at their hardware.

The only solution is to revert back or wait until the xmbc devs figure out what's wrong and comes up with a solution. Another solution is to use MX Player. I've never had a problem with playing videos, but I really hate the interface (touch screen based).

K.

Doesn't matter. v12 works differently than v13. If we want to fix this issue then forget about v12.
I'm experiencing a similar issue on an x7 box with kitkat. Friodo, no playback issues (and none currently on my pc that still has frodo). I updated to gotham and now get choppy playback on live streams like ustvnow and some other addons. No idea whyHuh I've messed with settings to try to correct and have looked all over with no luck.
(2014-06-13, 03:15)Kitcloudkicker Wrote: I'm experiencing a similar issue on an x7 box with kitkat. Friodo, no playback issues (and none currently on my pc that still has frodo). I updated to gotham and now get choppy playback on live streams like ustvnow and some other addons. No idea whyHuh I've messed with settings to try to correct and have looked all over with no luck.

cool story, bro, but that has nothing to do with this thread.
How does it notHuh Played smooth on frodo but not on gotham because it's choppy. Pretty sure that's exactly what this thread is for. Why are some addons now playing choppy that do and did not on frodo?? Maybe I'm confused but the thread title is "Video worked w/Frodo, gotham choppy, Frodo choppy too, what gives? Frod workd B4".

And yes, I have reinstalled frodo on this device and now experience it there as well but not on the system that has not experienced gotham.

I appreciate your help and response either way
aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
Choppy video is going to happen whenever XBMC is trying to use software video decoding on an ARM device that doesn't have a lot of CPU power. It can even happen on non-android boxes, like on Windows, Linux, Mac OS X, etc. There are tons of reasons why this could happen, but the root of the problem isn't the choppy video. The root of the problem is this: why is hardware video decoding not working. That is the key to both problems, but they are almost certainly two different problems, since you guys are using two very different ARM chip boxes that each use a different method of hardware video decoding.

As for why Frodo once worked and now doesn't, the most likely answer is that vanilla v12 from xbmc.org has no hardware video decoding enabled at all. A lot of sellers put a modified version of XBMC on the boxes to give it hardware video decoding before v13 was ready. Normally I would say, hey, if you're happy with v12 then just go back to v12, but I honestly don't know where to look for the special modified versions, at least not for an AMLogic-based box. (Kitcloudkicker can likely use SPMC, which is XBMC v12 with hardware video decoding, on the x7 which is a Rockchips-based box).

There have been a number of people who have specifically reported issues with AMLogic boxes only playing sound and no video with v13. From what I've read there are three main reasons this happens, which I've recently outlined (just a day or two ago, actually) on the Android FAQ (wiki):

Quote:The three most common causes of only having sound, but no video, when playing a video file are:
  • The hardware in the box is AMLogic-based and another video/media app is running in the background. Quit the other media apps or restart the device and XBMC should display video again.
  • The hardware in the box is AMLogic-based and the firmware (Android installation) didn't set certain permissions correctly and isn't rooted. The easiest way to fix this would be to either root the device, so that XBMC can set the file permissions, or update to a better firmware that sets the correct permissions.
  • XBMC thinks the video can be decoded using video hardware/acceleration, but the encoding just isn't right. Using software decoding might be a work-around: Settings -> Videos -> Acceleration

We've already ruled out that the 3rd one won't work because the box doesn't have enough CPU/software power to playback the video without a hardware encoder. That leaves the other two, or some 4th situation that I don't know about yet.
aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
Try this guy: https://play.google.com/store/apps/detai....rootcheck

That should tell you if a given Android device is rooted or not. If it's not then it should be fairly easy to find a way to root it or find a pre-rooted firmware, as that MX box is a very popular model. I don't have one myself, but we should be able to find something. They're all over the place :)
(2014-06-14, 01:45)Ned Scott Wrote: Try this guy: https://play.google.com/store/apps/detai....rootcheck

That should tell you if a given Android device is rooted or not. If it's not then it should be fairly easy to find a way to root it or find a pre-rooted firmware, as that MX box is a very popular model. I don't have one myself, but we should be able to find something. They're all over the place Smile

So good news(?) My box is not rooted. What would be the next step?
A bunch of stuff comes up on google. This looks promising: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost...stcount=12
I have that same box and I had that same problem and instead of upgrading my xbmc v12.2 frodo I started new b/c I didn't want to spend days trying to figure out what wasn't working with what and submitting a bunch of error logs and all that time consuming stuff so I started brand new as I stated earlier and I still had the issue until I turned off the the 1st hardware acceleration option in the xbmc menu and rebooted then It worked again, fine. I tried upgrading from v12.2 to v13.1 or frodo to gotham however you want to put it and it wouldn't work all kinds of stuff was going wrong.
(2014-06-17, 00:25)crxsi71 Wrote: I have that same box and I had that same problem and instead of upgrading my xbmc v12.2 frodo I started new b/c I didn't want to spend days trying to figure out what wasn't working with what and submitting a bunch of error logs and all that time consuming stuff so I started brand new as I stated earlier and I still had the issue until I turned off the the 1st hardware acceleration option in the xbmc menu and rebooted then It worked again, fine. I tried upgrading from v12.2 to v13.1 or frodo to gotham however you want to put it and it wouldn't work all kinds of stuff was going wrong.

Are you just using a stock version of frodo or a mod version? Also, are you running kitkat or jellybean? I used the beyondxbmc version on jellybean, but that has issues with kitkat so I'm trying to figure out how I can fix without going back from kitkat.

Thanks for the reply!!
(2014-06-17, 01:12)Kitcloudkicker Wrote:
(2014-06-17, 00:25)crxsi71 Wrote: I have that same box and I had that same problem and instead of upgrading my xbmc v12.2 frodo I started new b/c I didn't want to spend days trying to figure out what wasn't working with what and submitting a bunch of error logs and all that time consuming stuff so I started brand new as I stated earlier and I still had the issue until I turned off the the 1st hardware acceleration option in the xbmc menu and rebooted then It worked again, fine. I tried upgrading from v12.2 to v13.1 or frodo to gotham however you want to put it and it wouldn't work all kinds of stuff was going wrong.

Are you just using a stock version of frodo or a mod version? Also, are you running kitkat or jellybean? I used the beyondxbmc version on jellybean, but that has issues with kitkat so I'm trying to figure out how I can fix without going back from kitkat.

Thanks for the reply!!

New Firmware For MX Box

May29/2014

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/5e74rq6i8469w...I3EWapwIOa

I just ran into the same issue with a friends MX I was trying to fix for him. No versions of Gotham would play 1080 fluidly. After going thru 4 different versions of Gotham I checked for updated firmware and loaded the firmware above and it now plays 1080 excellent.

Hope this helps.
aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
It's probably inside the port marked A/V. The end of the port is hallow and has a buttons at the end, just use a paper clip on it.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Video worked w/Frodo, gotham choppy, Frodo choppy too, what gives? Frod workd B41