xbmc very slow and buffering on 1 pc, fine on another
Hello, I have an xbmc setup at my girlfriends house running Eden v11 installed on an ATv2 and using SMb shares to a Win 7 PC over WiFi. Router is only 6 metres away from the ATV2.
It has worked fine for 2-3 years then lately it has started buffering TV shows every 20-30 seconds. Also many movies wont play either giving the playback failed error or no error at all. If I go back to the main menu I see the option to go fullscreen as if the movie is playing but I don't see it. XBMC is also very unresponsive taking awhile to respond to button clicks on the remote.

Ive tried the following...

Used an advancedxml file
Cleared what I could from the Appletv cache
Uninstalled xbmc Eden and updated to XBMC Gotham
Changed channels on the WiFi in case of interference.
The movies are on an external HDD so I moved a couple to the C drive and shared that to XBMC to rule out HDD problems.

Nothing worked.

Then I took the XBMC to my house and it played flawlessly. Even over WiFi where my router is around 12 metes away and signal must travel through 3 walls all Tv shows and even a1.8gb movie played with no problems at all.

So my conclusion is either my GFs PC or her WiFi is the problem. Her Ipad can stream movies from the PC using Air Video which rules out WiFi. So it has to be the PC but I'm not sure what it could be.

Th PC seems to work no problems, I can browse the net etc and it all works fine so I have no idea what could be causing the issue. Short of reformatting the HDD and do a complete new install of Windows 7 Im not sure what else I can try. I can hear a Fan in the PC grinding and I'm not sure if its the case fan or CPU fan. (Haven't checked yet) My only thought is that if its the CPU fan the CPU is overheating which may be causing the issue but then wouldn't I notice this while using the PC as well?

Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Running Krypton beta3 on ATV4 networked to Win7 PC using SMB shares.
AirVideo transcodes videos to adapt to slow speeds, so I wouldn't use it to rule out wifi.
What could be causing WiFi issues? I considered interference from a neighbor which is why I changed channels. But it didn't make a difference. I need to find a lan cable long enough to rule it out.

But having said that all of her other streaming video apps seem to work fine and they are streaming from the net not the PC.
It's hard to say without being able to check various things. It could be unrelated to wifi, but wifi is a complex beast and can often give issues when it used to behave normally. It can be tricky to troubleshoot.
Thanks Ned, I will try a LAN cable to rule out WiFi.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
xbmc very slow and buffering on 1 pc, fine on another0