Chromebox with xbmc experience?
+1 Matt Devo

I've used Windows-based HTPCs - over a number of generations - and have gravitated towards an unRAID server + OpenElec (with TV Headend providing light PVR duties) The "it just works" factor is hugely important to me. I'm currently running an i5 Haswell NUC as my main machine (overkill but it copes with the 4:2:2 H264/MPEG2 35Mbs+ content which I watch and which usually needs CPU decoding)

I've got an Asus Chromebox on order to trial as a second machine, as I've had good experiences with the C720 Chromebook as a portable solution for use in hotels etc.

One thing that can't be underestimated is the amazing support community around OpenElec. They are communicative and responsive. Recently some driver patches appeared for a cheap USB DVB-T2 tuner that was poorly supported in the DVB kernel. Within days they were in the latest OpenElec release (long before they are in the official Media_Build or Kernel releases).
(2014-06-17, 18:21)Veronica Wrote: I have all the goodies I needed too like plex media server, a browser (chromium), emulators and torrent server all working as expected.
Mind if I ask what you use for emulators? Any of the solutions I've found for emulators in OE seemed complicated and problematic so far. Is there anything that makes playing a game as simple as watchhing a movie?
(2014-06-16, 16:43)Matt Devo Wrote:
Quote:If it doesn't come with a remote , What's the best remote to get with it ? I have an xbox 360 controller, will that be ok?
Quote:depends. Do you have a universal remote now? or a PS3 remote? The Xbone remote works well and is clean/simple, but you'll need an IR receiver to go with it.

I have a Chromebox on order, should have it set up in a week or so. I'm going to use my PS3 remote initially, but I would like to use some sort if IR remote, so I can just use one remote. I have a Logitec remote, and a Learning Universal remote, not sure if either of these can be used. Since the Chromebox doesn't have a IR receiver what IR receiver is recomended? Hate to buy another remote just to get the IR receiver. I can't wait to see the results of Matt's work Nod
(2014-06-19, 22:17)YellowDog Wrote: Since the Chromebox doesn't have a IR receiver what IR receiver is recomended?
I'd recommend Flirc. It works with every IR remote and is easy to program. I use it with the Xbox One media remote and they work great together on the Chromebox.
(2014-06-19, 22:17)YellowDog Wrote: I have a Chromebox on order, should have it set up in a week or so. I'm going to use my PS3 remote initially, but I would like to use some sort if IR remote, so I can just use one remote. I have a Logitec remote, and a Learning Universal remote, not sure if either of these can be used. Since the Chromebox doesn't have a IR receiver what IR receiver is recomended? Hate to buy another remote just to get the IR receiver. I can't wait to see the results of Matt's work Nod

HP MCE IR receiver, ~$15 on amazon. Program your Harmony as a MCE remote (not MCE keyboard). fin.
Hi all, I'm new into XMBC and I've been looking for an affordable piece of hardware to install OpenElec on. For me noise is a big issue -- I'm already annoyed with the fan of my PS3 when I play blu-rays. The Chromebox looks like a sweet option. However, does the fan kick in during 1080p playback with OpenElec? If yes, how would you rate the fan noise?
(2014-06-26, 17:46)Krizna Wrote: does the fan kick in during 1080p playback with OpenElec? If yes, how would you rate the fan noise?
It's dead silent. If I put my ear next to it I can hear the fan, but not when I'm a few feet away or when anything is playing.
(2014-06-26, 17:46)Krizna Wrote: Hi all, I'm new into XMBC and I've been looking for an affordable piece of hardware to install OpenElec on. For me noise is a big issue -- I'm already annoyed with the fan of my PS3 when I play blu-rays. The Chromebox looks like a sweet option. However, does the fan kick in during 1080p playback with OpenElec? If yes, how would you rate the fan noise?

Compared to a PS3 playing BDs the Chromebox is incredibly quiet. It's not accurate to describe it as totally silent, but I'm sensitive to noise and don't really notice it. I'd rate it as slightly quieter than an i5 NUC. I think my Macbook Pro Retina also makes more noise when using VLC with HD content.
I've owned an i3 asus chromebox for about 3 months now.
Love it.

I followed the online guides and put openELEC on it just for xbmc.
I'm using Cirrus Extended v3 as a skin. (I used aeon mq5 for while. Didn't like it. But it worked flawlessly)

I have retroarch installed locally on the chromebox for NES/SNES/N64 emulation. (With 2- ps3 Bluetooth controllers)

For my media.
I stream 1080p movies/3D 1080p movies on WIFI (5gz channel though) from my freeNAS server in my office. (Using samba)
Getting an HDhomerun shortly or an DVB-T/T2 USB TV tuner to test for live tv.

I use a flicr for IR for my logictech harmony 1100 remote. (Flirt sends ir commands as keyboard strokes. Perfect for XMBC)

It's super quite. Super small. Low Energy (I leave mine on constantly. Never sleep or suspend)
With the SSD inside even if I were to turn it off. It literally boots to main screen from on button push with in 1 -2 secs.

So if that helps you with some real life testing.

I got the i3 cause the i7 model is super expensive for what you get.
And in my logic. The i3 (or i5 whatever it has) helps with the gaming emulation vs the celeron)
I'm looking to run some emulators on my ASUS Chromebox (Celeron 2955U). Can someone assist me with what add-ons to use (with links if possible) inside Kodi (using OpenElec)? I couldn't get any builds of retroarch loaded that I've tried working due to permissions errors in Kodi. I'm a noob when it comes to Linux and the Chrome OS/OpenElec so I could use a hand here, I'm beginning to think that the i3 and i7 versions of the ASUS Chromebox were a better bet. Confused

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Chromebox with xbmc experience?0