Win Please Critique My HTPC Setup
Hey guys, apologies if this is in the wrong forum. I'd like you guys to critique my XBMC set up which I finalized yesterday. Essentially I made an HTPC to be seamless and replicate almost what a DVD player might be. I don't want to ever (or reoccurringly) go into the OS to fix an issue, or tweak a setting. So, with that in mind, here's my setup.

My HTPC runs on Windows 7 64bit with XBMC Frodo, currently. It has USATV Vod, NetfliXMBC, XBMCtorrent, and the Hulu video addons installed. It has the MCERemote addon installed for my remote support w/a modified media center button to give me the "ALT+F4" functionality. I've modified the Confluence skin to always show the "Play Disc" option and consequently the Eject/Load option. On system start up, my OS launches XBMC in full screen mode. I've added PowerDVD 13 as an external player for bluray and a toggle from PowerDVD 13 to XBMC by selecting my "ALT F4" button previously mentioned. Every hour, my XBMC updates my library, removing old content that is gone and adding new stuff it finds. The new stuff comes in the way of movie torrents that I download to my HTPC remotely from other PCs on my network, and also TV shows that download based on a RSS feed from showRSS. Once per day, I have a batch script that deletes anything in the TV Show directory that is over 90 days old. Every 15 minutes, a program called "theRenamer" scans my torrents directory for new torrents, adds and organizes them to my XBMC library which is scanned on a 1 hour period.

Did I miss anything? Does something sound not bulletproof or like it's going to explode in a month? Thank for your comments.
That sounds pretty slick. You might also want to check out the XBMC File Cleaner add-on to save you a batch script, as it can also auto delete specific library items under conditions such as age, watched status, and more.

Feel free to take pictures of it and make a post in the Showcase subforum: http://forum.xbmc.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=202

Just don't get specific about where exactly you are downloading movies from, so everything is okay per the forum rules (wiki). We don't mind if you download the files and mention that, but where you download them from (like specific torrent sites or whatever) are best left outside of the forum ;)
Thanks for the response!

I've been using the set up for a little bit and that addon might save me some hassle. I think scheduled tasks in windows (probably program dependent) steal focus from xbmc, minimizing it. Going to have to fix that. Thanks for the link to the forum, will give me all sorts of ideas!

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Please Critique My HTPC Setup1