JPG/Thumbnail Optimisation?
Hi all,

Some threads about numbers of thumbnails and scraping got me thinking if once you have scrapped data to your thumbanils folder or created jpg files with your nfo, do you run any further optimisations?

When I say optimisation in my case I mean compressing jpg files using some sort of util?

I have custon nfo files with relevant jpgs and thumbanils for actors etc etc.

I'm using a program called FileOptimzer that will scan through my folders on my fileserver and reduce the file size without (hopefully) reducing the image quality.

Any train of thought if this is a worth while exercise?

Any other optimisations you do as well maybe?

Just though I'd thorw that out there Smile

Cheers
Confusion is just a state of mind.
http://nikkhokkho.sourceforge.net/static...eOptimizer

Notice that even on their preview image, any compressed format doesn't get optimized? PNGs, MP3's, JPGs, Tar.Gz and such? This is a lossless compression system, it's zipping stuff basically, and it's built around the idea of removing redundancies in data to make them smaller. (An over simplification, but it works for this example). Lossy compressed data such as h.264, JPEG, MP3 and all that are, by design, already optimized and have as many redundancies removed as possible. Using lossless compression on them achieves no gain.

Your best bet would be to re-encode your thumb nails as lower quality images, and that would make them smaller. ...And uglier. Considdering the relative small size of the thumbnail collection in comparison to the media itself, the gains would be negligible.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
JPG/Thumbnail Optimisation?0