Looking for advice - getting new hardware
Up until last week, I had a variety of TVs. Some 'smart' some not. I had a Boxee Box on each to give an identical experience for everyone in my family. It was primarily used for XBMC streaming local content from a Windows PC (ripped movies, home movies, and pictures) and Netflix player. Boxee had a lot of limitations, but I loved XBMC. I had tried Serviio in the past with several different players, but I found I couldn't beat the XBMC setup. It would play anything. I'm not fond of what Boxee did as a company, and I have no intention of buying any more (if they are even available). Last week, lightning strikes and fries most of my electronics. I now have all new LG TVs (thank you State Farm). The TV itself has almost every app I could want and now all our TVs behave the same. The one thing that is missing is streaming content from my local storage server. It looks like it wants me to install an LG DLNA server on my PC. I would rather not go that route. I want to eventually just use the USB ports and sharing function on my router so my PC is out of the picture. I think all I'm really looking for now is a device that will will do a good job of playing ripped DVDs, Blu-ray, home movies, and pictures. I'm getting past the hobbyist stage on these things in life. I just want it to work, and not have to give my family a training class. This device looks pretty decent? http://www.amazon.com/G-Box-Midnight-MX2...B00CH643A8 Would that be a good fit? I don't have an external sound system for my TVs yet, but I would like to. I know the Boxee had some issues with certain types of Audio. Thanks for any advice you might have. XBMC is an outstanding piece of software.
Now I see that Matricom is not really a friend of XBMC. Every device I find seems to have a issue. Pivos DS looks old and underpowered. I would like to go with Pivos, but that doesn't seem like a strong device. What about the XS shipping this month? That looks like a step in the right direction. Still not as powerful as others, but looks interesting. The Tronsmart Vega S89 looks like a relative hardware beast, but seems to be supported by one guy in China.
Do your LG TVs have the Plex app? If they do then in my opinion you are better off using Plex Media Server on an i3 or i5 Intel NUC. It's a better solution for what you are trying to do.
I don't think so. They are the 42LB6300. There is an LG store, but it simply says coming soon when you try to open it. I would love to do this native on the TV. I just haven't had a lot of luck with DLNA. IT would be one Plex Media server for my entire house, correct? If so, I could use my PC for that. I tried Serviio DLNA, and I had to many problems. Incompatible file types, skipping, etc. Maybe Plex is a different story.
Yes, you only need one Plex media server for all TVs.
I found the LG Plex app developer page. The 32" LG I bought is a 2013, and I think it will work on that. The 2 42s I got are the new webos versions and it will not currently work on those. I'll try it out on my 32". That would be really cool if I could natively get this working on the TVs.
Here is the LG page on the Plex website. Lots of good info which should point you in the right direction.

https://forums.plex.tv/index.php/forum/78-lg-medialink/
Thanks. I saw that. Definitely no client yet for my webos TVs. I'm surprised the recommendation here is plex over Xbmc. I appreciate the honesty. I see a lot of hacks, tweaks, workarounds, etc on plex/LG forums. I just want something that is simple and works. I will test drive it on my 32" non webos TV if I can get it mounted in my bedroom today.
I have not found any good news as far as running Plex on a WebOS LG:
https://forums.plex.tv/index.php/topic/1...ing-webos/
I went ahead and ordered a Pivos XS today. I want this to be a simple device for the family, and they loved the Boxee Box. I figured I would at least give them a shot since they appear to give back to the XBMC community.
5 years later, I followed your advice. Plex is working perfect. Should have listened then Smile I love Kodi too by the way.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Looking for advice - getting new hardware0