No Picture: RTL2838
Hi

Is HTS Tvheadend and Tvheadend the same thing? I hope so.
Is this a Raspberry PI, XBMC or Tvheadend question? I don't know, so lease forgive me if I'm in the wrong forum.

I have a Raspberry PI running Raspbmc and using it as a media centre with XBMC. I'm really impressed with how well it all works together (almost) OOB, without me having to be a linux geek. I know just enough linux to be dangerous and have no interest in compiling kernels and all that jazz (I hear that is really slow on the PI).

Raspbmc and XMBC are updated to the latest versions.
- XBMC 13.1
- Linux 3.12.20 #2 (May 23, 2014)

USB TV Receiver is found in "lsusb"
Bus 001 Device 006: ID 0bda:2838 Realtek Semiconductor Corp. RTL2838 DVB-T

As you can see, linux finds the device and seems to have the drivers.
Tvheadend can see the device and configure it.
- It has about a 35-40% signal and finds all the channels.
- I can record programs with the PVR.
- XBMC can play Live TV

But there is no picture, in both Live TV and recorded programs.
All I see on the screen is a 3D rectangle of coloured squares.

I saw some previous posts that talked about downloading from github and recompiling kernels, but the most recent was from about 18 months ago.

I'm in Australia.

Can anyone give me some insight into how I can see the picture?

Thanks
Steve
there is a way to work out what the problem is. go through this check list and see what it says.

1. check the aerial in a normal tv,what is the signal quality there?
2. check the usb reciever in another computer running windows and use there default software/drivers. what is the quality there?
3. if you can check the device in a linux PC. once again what is the quality there?
4. if you can check the device in a standard debian install on the raspberry Pi. and you guess it check the quality there

below is a list for each stage on what can be said at this point
1. is poor it's the aerial quality (a booster may help here).
2. if good signal on tv but bad on the device in windows then it could be the device being faulty.
3. could be driver issues.
4. if all above work but in the raspberry pi I would take a wild guess that not enough power is getting to the usb dongle. ( bigger ampage power supply for the raspPi. you also may get away with using a booster for the signal to get around this. THIS IS A BIG MAYBE.

if none of the above show the weak signals then it all comes down to the Raspbmc OS. let me know what you find from the above tests.
(Gary The Brown.)
Did you buy and install the MPEG codec?
Thanks DJ

The receiver:
- is on the same outlet as a TV that works fine
- is connected to a powered USB hub
Our antenna has all the booster it can handle and the receiver is on the first outlet after the booster.

Thanks gummibaum

I saw the stuff about the MPEG decoder but didn't understand the circumstances it applied to well enough. Trusting that you know it is necessary to work with a TV receiver I went ahead and purchaded it and I'm waiting for the code.

Regards
Steve

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
No Picture: RTL28380