Solved [Linux] - nVidia driver upgrade and XBMC 13.1 clashing.
Exclamation 
I just recently upgraded to nvidia driver version 331.79, since then I have not been able to start XBMC. I get the following error :
/usr/lib64/xbmc/xbmc.bin: error while loading shared libraries: libnvidia-tls.so.331.20: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

Obviously it is looking for the previous version 331.20. I am using openSUSE 13.1 and upgraded through yast. I was going to just downgrade back to 331.20 however that version is no longer on the nvidia repository.

Is there a way to get xbmc to recognize the version I have or do I have no other choice to find the other version and reinstall that one?
You could try simlinking to the newer libnvidia-tls.so.331.79

This may not work however and is a bit of a hack.

You can either downgrade the drivers, or compile your own version of XBMC
"PPC is too slow, your CPU has no balls to handle HD content." ~ Davilla
"Maybe it's a toaster. Who knows, but it has nothing to do with us." ~ Ned Scott
I actually have already tried that, however it then complained about version mismatches in nvidia libraries. So, that was not a viable workaround. Had to go back to the drawing board.
I'm still at a loss with this.
What package does libnvidia-tls.so.331.20 belong to? It oviously hasn't been updated, and needs to be. Seems like a SuSE issue to me.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
libnvidia-tls.so belongs to the nvidia drivers which is updated. However, XBMC seems to be looking for an older version of this file however I don't know what file or files of XBMC is trying to use the older version.
what is the output please of
Code:
ldd /usr/lib/xbmc/xbmc.bin
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
Did you build this xbmc from source or is it something probably fucked up by a package provider that only cared for building and not for running it?
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
I have pasted the output of ldd here: http://xbmclogs.com/show.php?id=240185

I did not build this from source, it came from the pacman repository.
I don't have the answer, but here is the old driver, in case you decide you want to go back to it.

Code:
http://www.rpmfind.net/linux/rpm2html/search.php?query=libnvidia-tls.so.331.20()(64bit)
from the pastebin:

Code:
libnvidia-tls.so.331.20 => not found
libnvidia-glcore.so.331.20 => not found

The pacman package appears to be linked direct to a specific version of the library, which is not the way things should be done as far as I can tell.

Three options:

1. get the pacman packager to fix their screwy package

2. Compile xbmc yourself

3. revert nvidia to 331.20
Nice - I like those distro fuckups ...
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
Well in the end I could not figure out any work around or fix for this. I ended up just reinstalling my distro from scratch and starting over. It is working for the most part fine now even with the newer nvidia drivers. However now I'm trying to figure out why it will not display any text in XBMC.

Thank you to all who have helped or tried to help. It's greatly appreciated!

Now on to fix the text issue.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[Linux] - nVidia driver upgrade and XBMC 13.1 clashing.1