Thinking of adding live tv
Ok so just starting yo get into looking at adding live tv support. I have been trying to figure out best way to do this without adding another computer or running one 24/7.

I have two xbmc one is windows 7 other 8.1.

I use unraid for server. (Have did some looking as far as using backend since already up 24/7 but no luck)

Plan on purchasing hdhomerun prime and renting cable card through Verizon Fios (currently only have "local tv" channels through fios so not sure need card yet)

I don't really have a need for recording tv, but want a guide and would like it integrated into xbmc. Do I need a backend if I don't want recording features? If I do, it's my understanding you don't for using WMC so how can I easily switch between the two programs? Can I run WMC through xbmc?

Thanks for time. Let know if missed anything.
HTPC Basement: i3 3225, Asrock z77 pro4m, 8gb Crucial DDR3 1600, Samsung 840 120gb SSD, Silverstone GD05B Case

HTPC Livingroom: WIP

Server: UnRaid: Intel G550, Asrock B75 pro3m, 4gb ram, Parity Drive 3tb WD Red, Data 2 x 2tb WD Red, Cache 1tb WD Blue, Fractal Design XL R2 Case
As far as I know, if all you want to do is play live-tv in xbmc, you won't need a backend if you get the prime. However, if you want guide data, a backend is needed to send the guide data to xbmc - even if you don't use the recording features of the backend.

If you just run wmc instead of xbmc, it will have the guide data and play live tv. I prefer using a backend so you have one integrated solution in xbmc rather than switching between apps, but if you want to switch, here is how I recommend you do it:

Launching xbmc from wmc:
http://www.teknowebworks.com/xbmc-Window...ntegration

OR

Launching wmc from xbmc:
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/26-home-th...-xbmc.html
Windows Media Center PVR addon (pvr.wmc) and server backend (ServerWMC)
http://bit.ly/serverwmc
Another question....if i dont want to have a always on computer and no need for recording, can I just run the backend off each individually computer? Basically have the backend and frontend on same computer?
HTPC Basement: i3 3225, Asrock z77 pro4m, 8gb Crucial DDR3 1600, Samsung 840 120gb SSD, Silverstone GD05B Case

Server: UnRaid: Intel G550, Asrock B75 pro3m, 4gb ram, Parity Drive 3tb WD Red, Data 2 x 2tb WD Red, Cache 1tb WD Blue, Fractal Design XL R2 Case
Any help would be great. Would like a new xbmc project this weekend ha.

Strm files with PseudoTV Live is how I do live tv.
first_time_user (wiki) | free content (wiki) | forum rules (wiki) | PVR (wiki) | Debug Log (wiki)

IMPORTANT:
The official Kodi version does not contain any content what so ever. This means that you should provide your own content from a local or remote storage location, DVD, Blu-Ray or any other media carrier that you own. Additionally Kodi allows you to install third-party plugins that may provide access to content that is freely available on the official content provider website. The watching or listening of illegal or pirated content which would otherwise need to be paid for is not endorsed or approved by Team Kodi.
I'm planning on making a guide for HDHomeRun Prime with EPG via the SimpleIPTV PVR add-on. I'll leave a note here when I do.
(2014-07-18, 01:58)AnthonyJS02 Wrote: Another question....if i dont want to have a always on computer and no need for recording, can I just run the backend off each individually computer? Basically have the backend and frontend on same computer?

You can only run the backend on the machine that has the tuner hardware. It also makes no sense to run it on more than one device.
(2014-07-21, 08:26)negge Wrote:
(2014-07-18, 01:58)AnthonyJS02 Wrote: Another question....if i dont want to have a always on computer and no need for recording, can I just run the backend off each individually computer? Basically have the backend and frontend on same computer?

You can only run the backend on the machine that has the tuner hardware. It also makes no sense to run it on more than one device.

I'm using hdhomerun prime (network tuner) so I have to install its tuner software on all computers. But I'm trying to not have computer running 24/7. Currently trying to figure out how easy to setup tvheadend on unraid. Waiting for clarification on steps.

You don't need a backend for HDHomeRun Prime if you don't want to record. The Prime basically is the backend itself.
Generate strm files and use them for live tv. That is what I use with PseudoTV Live for epg
first_time_user (wiki) | free content (wiki) | forum rules (wiki) | PVR (wiki) | Debug Log (wiki)

IMPORTANT:
The official Kodi version does not contain any content what so ever. This means that you should provide your own content from a local or remote storage location, DVD, Blu-Ray or any other media carrier that you own. Additionally Kodi allows you to install third-party plugins that may provide access to content that is freely available on the official content provider website. The watching or listening of illegal or pirated content which would otherwise need to be paid for is not endorsed or approved by Team Kodi.
Ok, so how do I go about the whole EPG is Pseudo a program or built into xbmc live tv feature? Thanks

(2014-07-21, 16:23)AnthonyJS02 Wrote: Ok, so how do I go about the whole EPG is Pseudo a program or built into xbmc live tv feature? Thanks

Writing up a tutorial now for this - should hopefully have it posted tonight.
(2014-07-21, 21:18)bry- Wrote:
(2014-07-21, 16:23)AnthonyJS02 Wrote: Ok, so how do I go about the whole EPG is Pseudo a program or built into xbmc live tv feature? Thanks

Thanks will wait for it

(2014-07-22, 07:13)AnthonyJS02 Wrote:
(2014-07-21, 21:18)bry- Wrote:

Thanks will wait for it
@AnthonyJS02 - here you go - http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=200460

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Thinking of adding live tv0