30 Days with XBMC + (insert name of mobile/remote streaming engine)
Yeah...
In September of 2014, a media player JUST WON'T DO. The reasons are simple, convenience trumps quality everytime (this is why mp3, even though is a lossy codec, became a de facto standard)...
Plex is not perfect (not even close) but it's no damn convenient, that users will put up with its crap...The same (to a lesser degree) can be said about MB3...
(2014-09-23, 17:40)jacintech.fire Wrote: Yeah...
In September of 2014, a media player JUST WON'T DO. The reasons are simple, convenience trumps quality everytime (this is why mp3, even though is a lossy codec, became a de facto standard)...
Plex is not perfect (not even close) but it's no damn convenient, that users will put up with its crap...The same (to a lesser degree) can be said about MB3...

In your opinion. Big Grin
ASUS Chromebox M004U (LibreELEC 8.2/Aeon Nox SiLVO)--->HDMI--->Onkyo TX-NR646--->HDMI--->Panasonic P65VT30
@wgstarks,
Unless you are watching a big ticket item (blockbuster movie, concert, sporting event, etc.), it matters not which device you use. 90% of out viewing time is spent catching up to our favourite shows. Under these circumstances any device will do. This is why plex/mb3 is so convenient. You can get caught up with your shows anywhere (in traffic, at the office, the gym, in the bathroom...anywhere). Yes, the experience is nowhere close to the 10ft interface, but it's good enough to get caught up. Is not the quality (nothing beats XBMC/Kodi in that regard), but the convenience that wins out.
Ever since I rigged my own hybrid streaming rig, the time I spend watching XBM/Kodi dropped by 90%.
i admit, again, there are times that only XBMC/Kodi (i.e. Transformers Age of Ext.) will do, but these times are few and far between.
...and I'll tell you something else, this is NOT an isolated comment. This is a trend. The danger here is that new users, will start off with these other solutions (a simple search on the web will tell you people are ranting and raving over these streaming servers) and will not give Kodi a second look.
That's fine. XBMC is not about world domination, it is about a 10 foot interface media machine attached to your TV.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
Are you kidding me? XBMC/Kodi WAS about world domination. One media player to rule them all, remember?
And therein lies the rub. Plex, as crappy as it is, has a decent 10ft interface, plus a streaming/transcoding server. What that means is that most new users will start off by using plex and will never consider other alternatives. At this point, XBMC/Kodi is no longer at the forefront, but is rather a niche project, with a fast shrinking user base. From here to complete irrelevance there is one, maybe two iterations of current technology...
Thankfully, a merge with another project like Media Browser 3, could completely re-write the rule book...
Seriously dude, go play with plex or whatever & have fun.

My toaster doesn't make soup. So I use a saucepan for it.

Nobody cares.
(2014-09-24, 17:30)m7cky Wrote: Seriously dude, go play with plex or whatever & have fun.

My toaster doesn't make soup. So I use a saucepan for it.

Nobody cares.

Hahahaha! "GREATEST" analogy EVER!!
My Smartphone IS my clock, calculator, walkman/diskman, tv, notebook, library, game console, newspaper, magazine, and oh yeah, it makes phone calls. THAT is the reason in North America and most developing countries Smartphones outsell feature phones by the millions. It may not perform any of these functions as good as a dedicated device, but it's good enough. I can bet all the money in my pocket that a new user WILL not forego the purchace of a smart phone over a feature phone, by the same reason that a new user will not forego plex or mb3 in favour of XBMC/Kodi. Over time, this trend (which is now well under way) WILL further marginalize XBMC/Kodi..
So?

Kodi is not for profit, they don't have to pander to the masses.

They focus on a local media player with a 10ft UI which doesn't seem to meet your needs so you should probably go the route you're going & just stop trying to convince everyone that your needs are what everyone wants.

Or you could create an addon or fork the entire thing to meet YOUR needs.

I'd rather have Kodi focus on what it is rather than spreading resources on stuff you can get elsewhere.

No offense.

Also, if you use your phone as your games console, you are missing a whole lot of functionality & enjoyment.

The same could be said for Kodi vs Plex.
@m7cky,
Where do I start with you?...
If you think this is JUST me, then I can't help you. I am not going to rehash the convenience vs functionality debate, but convenience ALWAYS wins out. All these other systems include a 10ft interface; not as polished as XBMC/Kodi, but good enough.
This is what is happening here in the real world: All these new users are flocking to the likes of Plex and MB3. The problem with that is that they WILL not abandon plex or MB3 over XBMC/Kodi as these other alternatives are far more convenient. NOT BETTER, but more convenient.
Now, I am sure I don't have to tell you what happens to project that cannot attract new users...
Yeah I really can't be bothered.
Kodi is what it is.
Users who desire new features will code them themselves or ask ONCE if anyone else is interested in doing it.

I've used xbmc since xbox when the user base was much much much smaller & I still use it today, & xbox version has been forked & there are still people developing it.

You've said your piece, obviously nobody cares.

Maybe sales will drop, but a 90% drop of ZERO sales doesn't matter.

People who care will code or contribute to the project, those who don't will move on.
You should decide which one of those paths you will take instead of preaching the end is nigh.
Because if development stopped today I'd still have a kick-ass LOCAL MEDIA PLAYER>

And as for your convenience vs functionality argument, I'd have functionality every time.
So it seems Kodi isn't for you.
Bye.
@m7cky,
...and you are entitled to your opinions...as I am mine...
But trendlines are trendlines...
And not-for-profit open source does not have to follow them, hence Kodi's success.
(2014-09-24, 19:47)m7cky Wrote: And not-for-profit open source does not have to follow them, hence Kodi's success.

Hahahahahaha...
Quite right, my dear Sir. Quite right. SMH...
(2014-09-23, 22:08)jacintech.fire Wrote: At this point, XBMC/Kodi is no longer at the forefront, but is rather a niche project, with a fast shrinking user base.

Do you have proof?
"PPC is too slow, your CPU has no balls to handle HD content." ~ Davilla
"Maybe it's a toaster. Who knows, but it has nothing to do with us." ~ Ned Scott
@Irisak,
The number of downloads for every release over the past five year
The number of mention on a news search result
Should I continue...?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
30 Days with XBMC + (insert name of mobile/remote streaming engine)2