Path substitution (sources.xml) problem in Gotham
I run XBMC on a number of different systems (Windows / Ubuntu / IOS) with a shared MySQL database. I use path substitution for a common list of sources (see below).

All works well on 12.2 (and did on earlier versions) on all platforms. I moved to the latest monthlies of Gotham recently as I was hoping to take advantage of, and test improvements around, PVR functionality. I found that sources.xml was no longer being read or saved such that the video sources list is always blank after starting XBMC. I can add to this list but on exiting and restarting XBMC the list is blank again. This is true on all the platforms I use. mediasources.xml does seem to work although I haven't tested this properly yet. I do not believe the rssfeeds substitution is working either. I have reverted to 12.2 and all is fine again. I suspect a bug but would like to find out if there is something I am missing before filing a report.

Section of advancedsettings.xml follows:

<pathsubstitution>
<substitute>
<from>special://masterprofile/sources.xml</from>
<to>SMB://10.10.10.234/Store/Settings/XBMC/userdata/sources.xml</to>
</substitute>
<substitute>
<from>special://masterprofile/mediasources.xml</from>
<to>SMB://10.10.10.234/Store/Settings/XBMC/userdata/mediasources.xml</to>
</substitute>
<substitute>
<from>special://masterprofile/RssFeeds.xml</from>
<to>SMB://10.10.10.234/Store/Settings/XBMC/userdata/RssFeeds.xml</to>
</substitute>
</pathsubstitution>
Can you get us a debug log (wiki) of when this happens?
I noticed that with Gotham, a local sources.xml file was loaded when it existed i.e the path substitution was ignored. When this file was removed, nothing was loaded. The changes are saved correctly to the path substitution location.

In the debug log for Frodo there is a line "Loading media sources..." but there is no equivalent in Gotham.

Debug log from 13 Alpha 6 where added video source is not loaded: http://pastebin.com/AcMgEZC1
i have the same problem with alpha 7
sources.xml not loaded when i use path substitution
Wanted to put a +1 on this, having the same issue with the October alpha.

The only one that I use is sources.xml. Don't path sub on any of the others but I can confirm it's using the local sources.xml instead of the path substituted one when it loads.

Let me know if I can provide any further debug info.
Worked one time (I don't know how this happen) but can't load source.xml any more.
Version alpha 9
Platform: Win 8.1.

Thank you!
I was experiencing this issue as well but the subsititution is working again in alpha 10 for me on OSX.
I have this same problem randomly. Some times it loads the path, sometimes it does not. Oddly also, it will sometimes show file paths on one system that don't even exist in the shared sources file. No Idea why it works most of the time, but then stops.

Updating to Alpha 10 (although it says alpha 11) seems to have fixed it. Not sure if there is a fix, or it it will stop working again.
I've replicated this same problem with BETA4... I came from a working Frodo with Sources.xml, RSSfeeds.xml & Thumbnails shared. Same AdvancedSettings.XML file but no longer works. I spotted it was creating a new RSSfeeds.xml file in the local userdata folder. Deleted it. Reloaded XBMC and it recreates the local one. Nothing to indicate anything like that in XBMC.log

Path Substitution broken? Might explain why my Pi & FireTV cannot pick up thumbnails anymore?
No, it's not broken. The xbmc.log will tell us quite a bit - please enable Debug Log ging and post one to pastebin or similar.
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

I also experiment the issue with Gotham 13.1. I deleted the local sources.xml on my devices (raspberry pi) and when I restart them they create a new empy sources.xml file.

here is a log with DEBUG ON : http://xbmclogs.com/show.php?id=227286
Why would you delete local sources.xml files? They store the sources.
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

It was to check if it was using the file sources.xml located on my NAS and defined in the advancedsettings.xml with the substitution path.
Anyway before the delete, the file was different than the one on my nas and after the delete (and the rebbot), the new file was the standard one (without my sourçes)

So what should i di to share my sources ?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Path substitution (sources.xml) problem in Gotham0