Win Best Way to Add Storage?
I am running a desktop in my livingroom attached to my LCD tv. I opted for this method vice a HTPC because I use all the normal computer functions here in the livingroom also, like making this thread or playing games.

My question is what method should I use for adding storage space? Right now I have a 2TB HD on the desktop, a 2TB external, and a 1TB on my laptop that carries some of the data. I have reached a point where my external hard-drive is full and my PC will be inadequate storage shortly. I want to consolidate all the media onto one device and I have been reading about NAS. Is that the correct path to be going down? If a 10TB external hard drive existed I would snatch it up in a heartbeat, but it does not of course. If anyone can point me in the right direction here I'd appreciate it.
It really depends on how quickly you're filling your storage up. If a 4TB drive will last you a few years, it might be a better option than jumping in and getting a NAS. If you're burning through storage quickly, then a NAS is definitely something to consider.
You can get Netgear NAS's fairly cheap (~$100) without drives and I find they work very well.
NAS is a great solution but you need to consider a few things before spending ~400-500 on a NAS + drives for it, namely, what type of data are you going to stream from your NAS to your HTPC in your living room? If that data is uncompressed bluray, you may need to consider upgrading your router/switch (whatever controls your internal network traffic) so that the transfer speeds between devices at a local level is fast enough. Most 1080p content and down caps off at 10 MB/s bitrates, so standard routers, switches, homeplugs, etc. are OK. Are you using wireless? Streaming from a NAS wirelessly can often lead to bad results because of wireless' lower reliability as opposed to LAN.

I'm looking to make the switch to a NAS pretty soon here (I don't need it, but I'm a geek, what're you gonna do). A model that scored highly for video streaming (what we XBMC peeps care about!) and is cheap on the budget, is the Thecus N2310. Pair that with two WD Reds at 4 TB and you got a decent amount of data for the next few years on the cheap. Alternatively, there is the 421e by buffalo that scores well for video transfer and is lower in price.

Considering all the features that a NAS offers, it might be nice to have one in the future, but the best performance/dollar spent has to go to just pilling on local storage in your HTPC if you're able.
If you are a DIY'er a home server is pretty easy to build and is the ultimate in flexibility.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Best Way to Add Storage?0