help with skin problem
I'm new to this whole thing, got a good handle on using XMBC in my apple tv 2 over the past couple of days, then tried changing the skin just to see what hte other one looked like but now it's not functional and I can't change it back!

I need help.

the screen gives me 4 big icons on the tv (videos, pictures, music, and programs). when using the remote it doesn't highlight any of them but I can switch between them even though I have no idea which one i'm on until I hit enter (center button on the remote). How can I get back to the settings so I can go back to the basic skin? I have a picture of the screen but dont' see where I can upload it here.

Thanks
ok, from what I can tell from reading, I've apparently picked a skin that requires a mouse! (touched skin??) which I don't have on apple tv obviously...so how in the world can I switch this thing back.
Maybe if you just delete the guisettings.xml? I think it's supposed to recreate itself. Take a look at the wiki entry for more info.
HP Stream Mini w/Libreelec -> HDMI -> Toshiba 37"
Intel NUC8i3BEH w/Libreelec -> HDMI -> LG OLED55C3PUA -> S/PDIF -> Sony HT-CT80
Dell Optiplex 7050 Micro w/Libreelec -> HDMI -> Yamaha RX-V467 -> HDMI -> Toshiba 47L7200U
See IOS_FAQ#SkinChange (wiki)
using WinSCP – File Manager I was able to find and delete the skin file...although it took a while to find it....

Step 1:first need to open your File Manager. You will be met with either an option to open a Connection, if so select this option, or a group of boxes requiring input. Fill out the boxes the following information

At the top you will likely see a drop down menu that says “File Transfer Protocol.” Here you will need to select the option that says “SFTP” or “SSH”
Server: Here you need to enter the IP address of your Apple TV
Apple TV 1 (SILVER BOX) = Username: frontrow & Password: frontrow
Apple TV 2 (BLACK PUCK) = Username: root & Password: alpine

Step 2: Now navigate to the following file location

/Applications/XBMC.frappliance/XBMCData/XBMCHome/addons

Step 3: In this directory is a folder for every addon and skin you have installed on your XBMC installation. Navigate to the folder that reads "skin.touch" (or something like that)

Step 4: Delete this folder

Step 5: Exit XBMC and Launch it again.

Step 6: You will now be in the default Confluence skin once again.

this is all done through the wifi connection, no need to try to use a mini usb cord.

hopefully this post will help others who find themselves in this horrible position.
That's not going to last, but whatever.
Why wouldn't it last?

It forces it to use the only remaining skin, then I went to setting and changed the skin back to the original. Even though the folder was deleted it still had the touch skin selected.

Now even if it reinstalls the touch skin it will stay where it is. (Which is the only thing I can think of as to why you say it won't last)
Changes to those files are undone if you ever update XBMC, even if it is a minor bugfix release. However, since you have also changed the setting, then it should stick as those settings are saved in the user accessible userdata folder. Generally speaking, you do not want to edit files in the XBMCdata folder. The better option in these situations is to modify or delete (reset) the guisettings.xml file, as mentioned before.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
help with skin problem0