TV Show From DVD ISO Issue
Question 
HI! I am having an issue with TV Shows that are a season with multiple episodes in an iso file. I ripped the DVD's to iso format (full DVD including menus and extras) and am using the "nameofshow.S1.E1E2E3.iso" format... it shows the correct season, episode number and name, BUT when I select an episode it plays from the beginning of the DVD and stops at the menu... any way to rectify this? again thanks in advance.
No, there's no way around that as far as I know. I simply use MakeMKV to split each such disk into separate episodes. MakeMKV doesn't re-encode the video or audio so the resulting files are bit-identical with the original, minus the menus.
Hi, the problem I have with that method is that each episode is actually multiple chapters... a chapter for the intro, mid, and ending of each episode... on the disc menu it shows up as one episode but as soon as I open it in MakeMKV it gets messy... was hoping for a quick solution... whats the point of it listing each episode in an ISO if it wont play them separately... Again thanks!
Aren't the episode's listed as individual titles? If not then just select the correct chapter range.
Sorry... The episodes are listed as seperate titles but each episode is multiple chapters...
Episode bookmarks (wiki) are what you want:

Quote:Starting in XBMC v13, you can set "episode bookmarks" for video files or ISOs that contain multiple episodes. This will allow you to jump directly to the point when a given episode begins, from the library, even if it is in the middle of the video file.
Episode bookmarking is one way to go. If the episodes are separate titles though it should be easy to extract them as separate episodes with MakeMKV or rip them with Handbrake.
Thanks will have to try episode bookmarking as each episode has 4 chapters (why i have no idea) i find it odd that xbmc can extract a thumbnail from each episode and its title but cant automatically get to it...
(2014-06-17, 18:51)bradleymaustin Wrote: Thanks will have to try episode bookmarking as each episode has 4 chapters (why i have no idea)

I'm not sure why you're so hung up on the episodes having multiple chapters, MakeMKV handles chapters perfectly fine. You'll get an individual file for each episode, and each file still retains the chapters.

(2014-06-17, 18:51)bradleymaustin Wrote: i find it odd that xbmc can extract a thumbnail from each episode and its title but cant automatically get to it...

The titles and the thumbnails are downloaded from thetvdb.com. Thumbnails are only extracted if no thumbnails are available on thetvdb.
Just thought I'd jump into this thread with a question regarding bookmarks in an ISO file. I don't suppose there's a way to make these work for BluRay multi-episode images. Example Band of Brothers has two episodes on each disc image but when I select Episode 1 it brings up the prompt to "Play Main Title 0" "Play Main Title 1" "Select from all titles" "Show BluRay Menus" . Ideally I'd like to be able to just play the episode without a prompt. As more and more TV Shows are shot and released in HD this would be a very useful feature to have.
If this is the wrong thread please advise and I'll open a new one.
Bookmarking seems like a nice feature for some, but these issues/confusions are why I just separate the episodes out in the first place. This is fairly trivial to do, fast, and extracts at full quality with MakeMKV. Plus I just like things organized this way on my filesystem if I want to transfer an episode to a different device or use a different implementation from XBMC (I also use Plex Media Server for streaming/transcoding functions).
The only reason I wish to keep them as ISO images is that a lot of the modern releases have some nice addtiional features like PIP commentary, interactive scenes etc and these would not be available splitting out the episodes. Although XBMC cannot currently take advantage of these features and if I want to access them I use TMT I'm hoping for future support from XBMC. No big deal on getting this working the way I'd like, hopefully it's being worked on.
(2014-06-18, 18:25)mookieman Wrote: Just thought I'd jump into this thread with a question regarding bookmarks in an ISO file. I don't suppose there's a way to make these work for BluRay multi-episode images. Example Band of Brothers has two episodes on each disc image but when I select Episode 1 it brings up the prompt to "Play Main Title 0" "Play Main Title 1" "Select from all titles" "Show BluRay Menus" . Ideally I'd like to be able to just play the episode without a prompt. As more and more TV Shows are shot and released in HD this would be a very useful feature to have.

Hmm, I'm not sure. I've never tried it with a BR ISO. I'll try to find a BR sample/demo ISO and see if there's a way around that.
(2014-06-18, 19:46)mookieman Wrote: The only reason I wish to keep them as ISO images is that a lot of the modern releases have some nice addtiional features like PIP commentary, interactive scenes etc and these would not be available splitting out the episodes. Although XBMC cannot currently take advantage of these features and if I want to access them I use TMT I'm hoping for future support from XBMC. No big deal on getting this working the way I'd like, hopefully it's being worked on.

What you could do if your not hurting for drive space is use the video extras plugin to point to the original iso and rip the files for your library.
(2014-06-19, 02:53)Ned Scott Wrote:
(2014-06-18, 18:25)mookieman Wrote: Just thought I'd jump into this thread with a question regarding bookmarks in an ISO file. I don't suppose there's a way to make these work for BluRay multi-episode images. Example Band of Brothers has two episodes on each disc image but when I select Episode 1 it brings up the prompt to "Play Main Title 0" "Play Main Title 1" "Select from all titles" "Show BluRay Menus" . Ideally I'd like to be able to just play the episode without a prompt. As more and more TV Shows are shot and released in HD this would be a very useful feature to have.

Hmm, I'm not sure. I've never tried it with a BR ISO. I'll try to find a BR sample/demo ISO and see if there's a way around that.

I've gone back to a Boardwalk Empire ISO image and tried a little experiment
Split out Episode 1 as a separate ISO. The file contains the following streams.
Main 1080p h264 video stream. Two 480p h264 secondary PIP streams.
Main DTS-HD audio stream. Two DTS Express secondary audio streams to match the PIP streams

The problem now is that I've just discovered that for some reason TMT3 will no longer play even the original ISO image which contained the full BD structure properly, for some reason it will play the PIP streams but no longer plays the secondary DTS Express audio streams which is odd as I'm sure it worked when I created and tested the images some time ago. Been a while so I'm not even sure what I done with the playercorefactory.xml I was using to launch TMT.

I can confirm that there's currently no way to make this work in XBMC. Firstly there's no way to select a secondary video stream that I'm aware of and secondly I cannot get any sound out of either of the DTS Express streams even when I changed the Audio Device to Direct Sound, switched down to 2.0 channels and turned off all passthrough options.

So it looks like this would need a huge amount of work to be viable within XBMC, especially with Java based BD Menus, as far as I'm aware this is not under any kind of active development

Edit: Located the audio issue with TMT3, just had to change the Audio Settings from "Original Primary Audio Only" to "Auto Mix Based on Source" Secondary audio works properly that way.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
TV Show From DVD ISO Issue0