Can't Access SMB share in XBMC
I'm having an ongoing problem within XBMC and accessing SMB shares. No matter what folder I share from Mac via SMB, XBMC cannot open it and I get either "Operation Not Permitted" or "Error: Broken Pipe". Instead, I have to use AFP file sharing (which works quite well I might add) except for the fact that my Windows box(s) cannot do AFP. Additionally, Apple has deprecated AFP (though it's still an option) in favor of SMB.

I did a fresh install of OS X 10.9.5 and tried sharing via SMB and XBMC errors out trying to access it. I did a fresh install of OS X 10.10 Beta 3 and tried sharing via SMB and XBMC errors out trying to access it. Fresh install of Windows 7 Pro 64 bit and OS X 10.9.5 with XBMC v13.2 on two clients for testing purposes. I can access the SMB share on either machine (Mac or Windows) with no problem and I can view content and even open files through Finder or Windows Explorer, but XBMC doesn't have such luck. I have added the source by trying to browse the SMB Workgroup in XBMC, adding direct by DNS name and IP Address, and adding through the sources.xml file and mediasources.xml file. I tried the direct "smb://username:[email protected]/share" as well as the casual "smb://dnsname.local/share" and neither seem to make a difference. There's multiple posts and even FAQs stating "Upgrade to 12.1 to fix the compatibility issue" or "v13 fixes this issue" but unfortunately I've done the upgrades and it doesn't work still. Any help would be appreciated.

Here's my system:
Server (HTPC)
Mac Mini - OS X 10.9.4
XBMC 13.2 Gotham (x86 - 32 bit)
MySQL 5.5 for library sharing/syncing
AFP file sharing enabled for external drives containing media
SMB file sharing enabled (windows sharing on)
Static IP Address assigned by AEBS (v5) through MAC Address reservations
Firewall Off
Cat 5e gigabit network

Clients
AppleTV1 (Crystalbuntu, v13.2)
AppleTV2 (v13.2)
MacBook Pro (v13.2 x86 - 32 bit)
iMac (v13.2 x86 - 32 bit)
Windows 7 Pro 64 bit (v13.2 - 64 bit)
Static IP Address assigned by AEBS (v5) through MAC Address reservations
Firewall Off
Cat 5e gigabit network

Log File: http://xbmclogs.com/show.php?id=297714

I am waiting to install OS X 10.9.5 update due to this being a server used for other things as well, regardless 10.9.5 does not have any SMB/File Sharing improvements. I am running MySQL 5.5 and it's working fine, no need to update to 5.6 despite the issues being resolved. I can't run XBMC 13.2 Gotham 64 bit because AFP is broken in it (4.1 Mac Specific). SMBUp breaks other software I have installed and need on my server so SMBUp is not a viable solution for me.
here's an update. If I turn on the guest account and enable the option "allow guests to connect to shared drives" then XBMC can see all of the folders I have shared. However the user accounts I have enabled SMB and windows sharing for do not work and if I try to login with one of those accounts I then get the "operation not permitted" or "broken pipe" errors. The guest account basically allows anyone on the network to see, browse, add, remove, or edit any and all files shared. That to me is a big issue and I'd rather control who can access what through user accounts. Here are two more XBMC logs showing me adding the source with the guest account enabled in Mac and switching around some permissions and trying the user accounts as well.

http://xbmclogs.com/show.php?id=298053
http://xbmclogs.com/show.php?id=298056
No one has any suggestions?
(2014-09-20, 00:39)squirtbrnr Wrote: here's an update. If I turn on the guest account and enable the option "allow guests to connect to shared drives" then XBMC can see all of the folders I have shared. However the user accounts I have enabled SMB and windows sharing for do not work and if I try to login with one of those accounts I then get the "operation not permitted" or "broken pipe" errors. The guest account basically allows anyone on the network to see, browse, add, remove, or edit any and all files shared. That to me is a big issue and I'd rather control who can access what through user accounts. Here are two more XBMC logs showing me adding the source with the guest account enabled in Mac and switching around some permissions and trying the user accounts as well.

http://xbmclogs.com/show.php?id=298053
http://xbmclogs.com/show.php?id=298056

Under system preferences, file sharing, set the shared files to be read-only. Now anyone accessing the shared files will only have read-only access. That is what I do, works great.
Kodi 17, Transparency Skin
PogoPlug v4 running Arm Linux 4.4.63 as MySQL (mariadb) server.
Mac OS 10.12.5
2015 27" iMac 3.3 GHz Quad, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
2015 13" Macbook Pro, 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD
AppleTV 4 TV OS 10
Thanks. I'll try that tonight. I thought I had it set like that or at least the permissions of the shared folders were 751. Maybe I need 754? I have to keep in mind though that I will still need to limit access through user accounts.
(2014-09-30, 15:40)squirtbrnr Wrote: Thanks. I'll try that tonight. I thought I had it set like that or at least the permissions of the shared folders were 751. Maybe I need 754? I have to keep in mind though that I will still need to limit access through user accounts.

If you need to restrict permissions on the local machine make sure that you do not have "ignore permissions" (CMD-I) selected for the HDs attached to the local machine.
Mac OS 10.12.5
AppleTV 4 TV OS 10
Thanks, winestock. I unchecked "Ignore ownership" for each harddrive and that allowed me to specify guest access to just the specific folders I want to share over smb. I still have access to all the folders if I log in with a registered user, however I can't get a sharing only user i created called "xbmc" to connect. regardless, a combination of the uncheck ignore ownership and setting read-only permissions for "everyone" now allows XBMC to open the smb shares and view/play files. My windows box can now connect to my database shared from the mac and I can get rid of afp support on my network. Thanks again!
This is interesting. But that's a lot of file modification on my Mac side (and making such changes is bound to mess up other things.) Sounds like I may need to try it if I can't get AFP or SMB working again some other way. But it would be nice if XBMC could handle volumes with "ignore ownership" properly. It did in the past; something apparently changed with OS X 10.9.5.
My guest account is already enabled and still no love connecting via AFP or SMB or CFIS. All Broken Pipe. Do I have to somehow specify connecting as "guest" in the source.xml? If so, how?
(2014-10-02, 16:49)squirtbrnr Wrote: Thanks, winestock. I unchecked "Ignore ownership" for each harddrive and that allowed me to specify guest access to just the specific folders I want to share over smb. I still have access to all the folders if I log in with a registered user, however I can't get a sharing only user i created called "xbmc" to connect. regardless, a combination of the uncheck ignore ownership and setting read-only permissions for "everyone" now allows XBMC to open the smb shares and view/play files. My windows box can now connect to my database shared from the mac and I can get rid of afp support on my network. Thanks again!

This is something interesting that I found out the other day. In my situation, I have "ignore ownership" checked (enabled) on each of my media drives that I am sharing from OS X. I added the media drives under Sharing preferences and set all users to read-only including the administrators. On my iMac where the drives are physically attached (this is the the sharing machine), I attempted to copy some files onto one of the media drives. The copy failed and OS X reported that the drive is read-only. I had 2 options at that point, turn off sharing or change the administrators, under sharing preferences, to have read/write access. I did the latter. Anyway, the point of all this, I had assumed incorrectly that permissions were being ignored because I had "ignore ownership" enabled on the drives. Something to keep in mind.

(2014-10-14, 02:08)ctawn Wrote: My guest account is already enabled and still no love connecting via AFP or SMB or CFIS. All Broken Pipe. Do I have to somehow specify connecting as "guest" in the source.xml? If so, how?

You would specific guest in the path: smb://[email protected]/<path>.
Mac OS 10.12.5
AppleTV 4 TV OS 10

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Can't Access SMB share in XBMC0