Intel's new $75 dollar CPU
Hey guys,

Did any of you all see the newest Intel chip they released? 75 dollars, overclocks fairly well, competes with the lowend athlon for gaming very very well (kills it on every single gaming bench mark). Check out the review: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/pent...,3849.html

Could this content for a spot in some of your HTPCs? Downsides are somewhat obvious, if you're going to OC, you might need a better cooler, and you need a z97 supported iTX mobo (for most HTPC people, anyway), which can be pricey. Personally I use an A6, but this is lookin' hot. Quick Sync goodness and all!
Should be a good choice for those wanting an HTPC but who really needs cpu power anymore? People who want a gaming HTPC will want a dedicated gpu that's much faster, and those looking for just playback have cheaper options. I guess a NUC based on this would be nice.
An unlocked Pentium for $75 is very compelling. It's nice to have the option to OC if you need it for gaming. It wouldn't be necessary for HTPC usage.
I agree no gamer is going to let this be his GPU solution, but an "enthusiast" gamer would definitely consider this as a processor for a budget build along with a more powerful dedicated GPU.

But, you bring up a good point. XBMC is a very lightweight application. Comparatively, so is playing DVDs, blurays, and heck, even 3D bluray. I guess we don't need much along the lines of power.

People seem to be really interested in the NUC, Amazon Fire, Chromebox, etc. options. I just can't imagine porting all my physical media to digital copies. It would take way too much time!
(2014-06-17, 21:45)SDub Wrote: I just can't imagine porting all my physical media to digital copies. It would take way too much time!

I did it with our CD collection and it took a very long time.

You won't be able to do it soon with Blu-ray/DVD given all that's going on with the take-down of decryption/ripping software by the AACS, at least not in the USA anyway.
Well, more reason to stick w/my custom built HTPC box.
(2014-06-17, 21:45)SDub Wrote: I agree no gamer is going to let this be his GPU solution, but an "enthusiast" gamer would definitely consider this as a processor for a budget build along with a more powerful dedicated GPU.

But, you bring up a good point. XBMC is a very lightweight application. Comparatively, so is playing DVDs, blurays, and heck, even 3D bluray. I guess we don't need much along the lines of power.

People seem to be really interested in the NUC, Amazon Fire, Chromebox, etc. options. I just can't imagine porting all my physical media to digital copies. It would take way too much time!

It does take time but is worth it IMO - you can access it from multiple devices, and also saves wear and tear on the discs, not having to switch discs, and of course all the joys of XBMC.
Very nice CPU for a combined server / xbmc machine.
For anyone that might be interested in this cpu microcenter has a really good deal on it if you live near one:

http://www.microcenter.com/site/brands/G3258Bundle.aspx

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Intel's new $75 dollar CPU0