• 10(current)
WIP Substratum
(2014-07-31, 12:08)schumi2004 Wrote: A simple PVR section should be doable right?
I'm a heavy PVR user so without a PVR section it would be useless for me Wink

Whether it looks simple or not it's still a hell of a lot of design/code for something neither me or Arcanthur use.

Also, this is primarily a touch device skin and I'm pretty sure they don't have PVR.
just stumbled across this post.

This skin looks amazing cant wait to try it out!
(2014-07-31, 19:15)Hitcher Wrote:
(2014-07-31, 12:08)schumi2004 Wrote: A simple PVR section should be doable right?
I'm a heavy PVR user so without a PVR section it would be useless for me Wink

Whether it looks simple or not it's still a hell of a lot of design/code for something neither me or Arcanthur use.

Also, this is primarily a touch device skin and I'm pretty sure they don't have PVR.

Pvr works on all xbmc versions afaik.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
I thought you needed additional hardware for PVR?
Yeah but the tuner hardware can be any computer on your network. XBMC is simply the front end.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
(2014-08-02, 01:54)nickr Wrote: Yeah but the tuner hardware can be any computer on your network. XBMC is simply the front end.

It doesn't even have to be a computer. Just one of these stand alone boxes plugged into your router will suffice.

http://www.silicondust.com/
(2014-08-02, 03:01)jmedemar Wrote:
(2014-08-02, 01:54)nickr Wrote: Yeah but the tuner hardware can be any computer on your network. XBMC is simply the front end.

It doesn't even have to be a computer. Just one of these stand alone boxes plugged into your router will suffice.

http://www.silicondust.com/

Looks interesting, I might look into it.

Now, to move away from PVR discussion, I'm really hoping that the new name for our beloved media center will have a logo that will incorporate easily into my design.

I'm trying my best to embrace the new change.
Quote:our beloved media center

That would have been an excellent new name - shortens to OBMC.

Sounds a little North Korean though.
(2014-08-02, 04:18)nickr Wrote: Sounds a little North Korean though.

LMAO, yes it does
any ETA?

looks amazing.
While I still love the idea of a (truly) global menu, I've come to the point where I think it's a flawed concept unfit for the big screen.

For instance imagine the settings section. You'll need three columns there, effectively covering half the screen, which probably still allows you to fit in all the options but it's going to look cramped. Another downside is that a screen full of navigational content is confusing and makes it kinda hard to focus on the task at hand.
And even in not as deeply nested sections you're bound to use a lot of space for navigation which otherwise could display content, the heart of XBMC / Kodi.
My biggest issue with global menus however is that they don't save you any clicks. Pressing 'back' is just as fast as hitting 'left'. Their only use appears to be to give you some sense of context. But bread crumbs are just as good for this, and one might even argue about the need for those.

Actually, thinking about it, you might slide columns in and out of view to alleviate the settings section issue. Kinda like what you're doing with the 'View Options'.

Despite all my concerns, I believe this could be a real nice skin for touchscreen devices and wish you all the best with it! Smile
This skin shines with the use of touchscreens. Then, you gain time (because you can click whatever you want, and not only "back").
Admin @ Passion-XBMC
(official french community)
(2014-08-03, 11:31)grey Wrote: any ETA?

looks amazing.

No ETA's. Things are going well but starting from scratch on a skin takes forever, so I'm not going to set any time frames and potentially disappoint users.

(2014-08-03, 13:38)toolpunk Wrote: While I still love the idea of a (truly) global menu, I've come to the point where I think it's a flawed concept unfit for the big screen.

For instance imagine the settings section. You'll need three columns there, effectively covering half the screen, which probably still allows you to fit in all the options but it's going to look cramped. Another downside is that a screen full of navigational content is confusing and makes it kinda hard to focus on the task at hand.
And even in not as deeply nested sections you're bound to use a lot of space for navigation which otherwise could display content, the heart of XBMC / Kido.
My biggest issue with global menus however is that they don't save you any clicks. Pressing 'back' is just as fast as hitting 'left'. Their only use appears to be to give you some sense of context. But bread crumbs are just as good for this, and one might even argue about the need for those.

Actually, thinking about it, you might slide columns in and out of view to alleviate the settings section issue. Kinda like what you're doing with the 'View Options'.

Despite all my concerns, I believe this could be a real nice skin for touchscreen devices and wish you all the best with it! Smile

While I can understand some of your concerns, you have to understand this skin started with touch use in mind. So, having the global navigation available is much faster than hitting back several times to go to the home screen then select where you want to go.

And yes hitting a back key on a remote is fast, but with this setup you can jump to pretty much anywhere with a couple clicks. Things don't really feel as cramped as you might think in use, because the navigation never moves, your eyes are generally always focused on the main section of each window.

I respect that some users may not like it, but we can't please everyone with a single design. I just hope those that do use it, will love it.

(2014-08-03, 14:57)Maxoo Wrote: This skin shines with the use of touchscreens. Then, you gain time (because you can click whatever you want, and not only "back").

This.
Wow! Really great looking theme.

It's fresh and new - a great revamp of XBMC as we know it.

Will definitely use it when it is released. Should probably be the default theme of Kodi 15 or something ;-)
Looks great, can we test it soon ?
  • 10(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Substratum28