Gotham - Crashes when Streaming Videos (NAS)
I have similar problem. When video starts playing it reboots ATV. Links below should be the logs found in
var/mobile/Preferences.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B1USSmn...sp=sharing

I did see bunch of logs from ATV in var/logs/CrashReporter/ that start with LowMemory

I'm not sure if my problem is the same as others here, but I have a lot of trouble with Gotham (13.1) and hanging when I try to start videos from my NAS, particularly if the ATV has been idle for a while. In some cases I've had to pull the plug to get things working again.

Here is an xbmc.log showing the issue even after a soft restart of XBMC (exit to ATV menu and relaunch XBMC). I verified that I was able to play this same file (Frontline) from XBMC on a Windows PC at the time, so the NAS was online. The ATV shows an error opening the file, however.

http://pastebin.com/gkG0ssXE

Is there something in my setup that needs to be adjusted or are there some issues with Gotham in general? I supposed I could downgrade if necessary.

Also noticed that often I can "predict" when this issue is going to happen because the RSS feed moves very slowly instead of at normal speed, and sometimes the navigation sounds don't work.

Edit to add: My issues are not related to any particular files, and the file referenced in the log pasted above is an old SD file recorded from TV.
I experienced great improvement switching from the Amber skin to the Quartz skin. Haven't tested it a lot yet, but on a video file that crashed two or three times during playback when I was on Amber went smoothly on Quartz Big Grin

I think it makes a difference on some of the slightly heavier files. Will probably still crash though on the really heavy shit... Gonna report more when I have run it for a few days Wink
The Real Skimshady
I'd like to bump, as I believe this is the problem I've been having for some time now. I'll try to get some crash logs up later today.

The problem for me seems to be very large files streamed over SMB. Smaller files may crash one, but will play fine after that, large files will always cause a crash.
You could try NFS instead of SMB, smaller overhead. Also make sure to use a light skin e.g. Quartz. And keep Addons to a minimum.
The Real Skimshady
I too have had this issue since 13.0. I can watch a few files and then boom, the next file quits usually within the first 4 minutes and replaying, will quit more than once in a file. Thereafter, other files play fine for a bit. Playing back the same file (with the issue) later - usually then there's no issue.

I've attempted fresh installs, restored ATV2 then used 5.3 and still.

I've twice now tried using Frodo instead. My question though is why do I have this issue in Frodo now? I did not have this issue with Frodo originally and only updated because of the featureset/bug fix in 13.

Huh
I had crashing when I upgraded yesterday. Some files were crashing every few minutes.

Today I rebooted NAS, router and ATV and its a lot lot better. Files that were crashing every few minutes are playing fine. 1080p 1 hr long vids big 9gbs high quality files that stuttered and crashed on Frodo are playing like a dream.

I'm not without the odd crash but its soo much better than Frodo.

My Sky router and Synology NAS are great but the apps do seem to have memory leaks that mean after say 4/5 days their performance drops. I can see more and more RAM being used on my NAS and wifi performance gets worse and worse. (I don't use wifi with my has but I suspect general router performance is affected).
Nope. I take it back. I've watched a few tv series without a problem (SMB) tried watching films I have NFS mounted (that I've watched on Eden and Frodo) and I can't play any film! Switching to SMB

Switched to SMB and same problem. Plays at most a second and crashes. Interestingly though if I go to the Video option then file....then navigate to the film it plays fine.
For those having crashes, can you double check settings under XBMC -> Settings -> Video -> File lists

Make sure "Extract thumbnails and video information" is deselected, even if you've done this in the past.

The other day I noticed it somehow got switched back on my ATV2 and then it started crashing like mad.
I must say that my ATV2 works really acceptable now. I'm on the Quartz skin, Gotham 3.1, using NFS to stream from a good Synology NAS. Still the occasional crash (maybe once a week now Big Grin ) either during video playback or when downloading subtitles.

So I'm a living example of that the ATV2 is capable, although a bit slow and the occasional hick-up!
The Real Skimshady
(2014-07-20, 03:45)Ned Scott Wrote: For those having crashes, can you double check settings under XBMC -> Settings -> Video -> File lists

Make sure "Extract thumbnails and video information" is deselected, even if you've done this in the past.

The other day I noticed it somehow got switched back on my ATV2 and then it started crashing like mad.

Hi Ned,

My settings are perfectly fine. After it was working on a few films I've started to have a lot of freezes.....and on very rare occasions the ATV reboots and I can't get it to play anything at all and I need to unplug the ATV2 to get it working again. Yesterday I watched Jaws all the way through without problems until the very last 15 minutes when it started freezing and crashing.

Today watching another film I started having buffering (freezing). No-one else on my network, NAS monitoring on and nothing happening on that. I could see the network traffic for the streaming of the film (well under capacity) then network traffic would drop to nothing and the film would freeze, buffer and then restart....the film continued for a bit longer then it crashed and rebooted. When it rebooted the ATV2 wasn't on my network! When I checked under "System Information" it had a strange IP address listed certainly not the static ip I have assigned it and not my internet ip address either (169.254.xx.xx). No number of restarting the ATV2 helped. I had to pull the power cable out for it to get it's static ip address from my router.

I'm wondering whether the problems we are all having with crashing and freezing is related to this? Sounds like it may be doing some odd network thing during the film? Perhaps sometimes it can recover and other times it just loses the plot?

Regards

Justin
Not sure. Maybe the ATV2 got confused about which network interface it should use, wifi or ethernet, or something strange like that. That's just a total guess on my part, and doesn't seem likely in my mind, but who knows.
Sorry for taking so long to get back with my error log, but here is what I have. Took a quick browse through to look for errors but did not see anything. Any time I try to play a somewhat large file I get a full crash back to the AppleTV menu. I can reproduce this problem very consistently. If any more testing is needed please let me know.

Apple TV OS 4.4.4
XBMC Gotham 13.1
SMB and MySQL
Extract Thumbnails disabled

http://pastebin.com/YjwVAPea
So i am not alone on this one.

But the strangest thing is that my movie library is working fine, i can watch ANY movie without a problem. Sometimes its crashing, when memory runs out. And that can i live with.

When i'm watching series they are starting and XBMC crashes directly.

But when i'm browsing thru files and choose the same episode its playing without a problem.
Extremesanta, it sounds like you might be experiencing a different issue than what the OP and I are experiencing. My XBMC crashes before any video starts playing. Not every file will cause a crash, mostly smaller SD files (also without DTS tracks) will sometimes play without a crash and a majority of tv episodes will not trigger a crash either. As far as I've tested, all of my HD files (720 & 1080) will crash every time when attempting to play. I can sometime get. file to start playing by selecting it through the Files menu, but it will still crash in the first few minutes. Very frustrating.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Gotham - Crashes when Streaming Videos (NAS)1