Gotham - Crashes when Streaming Videos (NAS)
Very true!

Only problem is that before Gotham, everything worked perfectly fine.
Have you looked into these settings?

http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=HOW...ideo_cache
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
Oooooooooh!
New things to try!

I've gotta get to work, but will try later tonight!

thx nickr!
Brilliant! I will try this too Smile
The Real Skimshady
(2014-09-12, 12:03)Memphiz Wrote: One more time. On ATV2 everything is a plugin. This means any 3rd party app which is installed beside XBMC/Kodi will grab memory - even if it is not started. Its enough to have those plugins installed to consume memory. This is just for the people who have a lot of stuff installed via nitotv (like plex or firecore or so).

Understood. However, aside from XBMC, there really aren't many plugins loaded on my ATV. With the 4.4.4 firmware, there's not much in the list of internet apps, and Netflix is the only one that is configured (though it stopped working with the Netflix API change months ago). Otherwise, I run my ATV pretty much stock as I really only use it for XBMC.

Since XBMC runs as a plugin to lowtide, I understand that it is most likely lowtide itself that is crashing due to XBMC hogging all the available memory. What we are all hoping for though is some help on how to perhaps reduce the resources being consumed by XBMC so that we can play films reliably. I'm running an older firmware with not a lot of 3rd party apps, I've uninstalled as many XBMC addons as possible, I'm using the default Confluence theme, my files are hosted on a Quad-core machine with gigabit networking, and I'm passing the DTS audio track off to my receiver. I'm not really sure what else I could be doing at this point to reduce resource usage.
I fully understand your hopes though i might need to destroy those once more. The fact that Gotham consumes to much memory on the ATV2 that it is not usable for some people when streaming HD content is the result of multiple improvements which where done in a generic fassion (meaning those improvements hit all platforms). Bumping ffmpeg version for example could be such an improvement. The problem is that the ATV2 is only "maintained" by me and it is the worst platform to develop for (no official development tools from apple).

I am not planning to dig into the memory consumption thing (don't even know how to do it - missing tools...). Said story is, its more likely that i decide to remove support for ATV2 all together. Its an outdated platform and there is no official development support from apple (like for all other ios devices). Its just a slow old platform which is handled for way to much $$ on ebay. There are really better alternatives out there now and its really not worth the hazzle.

So if those memory consumption problems don't solve themselves (like with another generic improvement) - i don't see the ATV2 having a big future on the official XBMC/Kodi code. (sure there is always the possiblity of 3rd parties to continue support but there were zero code contributions to the ATV2 code from outside - so its unlikely).
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
HowTo setup NFS for Kodi: NFS (wiki)
HowTo configure avahi (zeroconf): Avahi_Zeroconf (wiki)
READ THE IOS FAQ!: iOS FAQ (wiki)
If you drop ATV2 can you pick up support for the Sinclair Spectrum please?
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
I even have one of those! Big Grin ZX81 rules
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
I had an Amstrad 6128 as well, but I tried to sell it, I thought an enthusiast would buy it. Instead a little old lady turned up insisting that it was just the thing to get her into the modern world. I couldn't take her money, but it is hers...

Weird day, she came around, found the door unlocked and was sitting in my lounge when I got home. She couldn't even turn her car around on the steep hill where I lived, she'd got my neighbour to do it.

But I digress...
scary but btt Smile
I had a feeling that support for the ATV platform might be headed in that direction. No JB for the ATV3 probably didn't help matters. I'm surprised to hear how hard development is though, I had no idea about the lack of dev tools for iOS. Was it just a lack of tools being ported, or is there more to it? Huge fact that you're the sole maintainer and that it still works as well as it does it a testament to your skill and I applaud you sir.

I feel like maybe it is time to retire my two ATV's, but am not sure what I should replace them with. I've been eying the Amazon FireTv as it seems like a nice platform, but I've heard that it's not fully supported yet. Do you know anything about it, or if the FireTv isn't an ideal choice, what would you recommend?
Firetv=android=limitations on framerate and audio. Instead consider Asus chromebox.
Its not about dev tools for ios - its about dev tools for atv2 (which is really different on the software side compared to the iDevices which have excellente development support). Its not ment to develop apps for ATV2 thats the problem Smile. (though there were rumors that apple would release offficial Developmentsupport + tools for atv at some point - but i guess this will only cover atv3 and/or later apple tvs).
(2014-09-13, 07:28)nickr Wrote: Have you looked into these settings?

http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=HOW...ideo_cache

Ok, so I've set mine (showing around 55-63% roughly free memory) to the following:

<advancedsettings>
<network>
<buffermode>0</buffermode>
<cachemembuffersize>20971520</cachemembuffersize>
<readbufferfactor>5</readbufferfactor>
</network>
</advancedsettings>

.......and! I thought it worked.....till a high 'snow type scene' and the test movie buffered around the 12minute mark....grrrrrr!

I thought I'd try "infuse" instead......can play ANY movie perfectly fine.
Might have to be the player of choice till a streamlined XBMC comes around.

thanks for the suggestion nickr! Worth a try.

Damn annoying....but I guess that's progress for ya!

I might try again with hard disk buffering (cachemembuffersize "0") - although the ATV2 doesn't have one, there is still around 6gb spare space on /dev/disk0s1s2..... It might work.
Yes if your aim is to cut back on ram use, buffering to ram isn't going to help Wink

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Gotham - Crashes when Streaming Videos (NAS)1