Android Android 'Smart' Projector to Carry in Your Pocket on Kickstarter
Hi all,

I noticed an interesting project on Kickstarter that has similar specs to the Amazon Fire TV and then some (e.g. projector, bluetooth speakers): https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/832...-your-pock

From the description:

Quote:Quad-core ARM Cortex-A9, 1.6GHz
Android Operating System 4.4 KitKat
2GB DDR RAM
Wi-Fi (B/G/N)
Bluetooth 4.0
16GB Internal Memory

Display Technology: 0.3" DMD (Direct Micromirror Display)
Light Source: LED (RGB)
Resolution: WVGA (854 x 480)
Contrast Ratio: 1000:1
Throw Ratio: 1.66:1 (meter)
Refresh Rate: 60 Hz
LED Life: 20,000 hours
115 Lumens ANSI
Size: 25" @ 1 yard to Infinity
Manual focus

Power via DC 5.5mm 12V 3A
Rechargeable Battery 7.4V 3000 mAh
Battery Life: ~ 2 Hours in Portable Mode; ~1 Hr. 15 Min in Full Power Mode
Bluetooth Speaker Mode: ~ 8 Hours

Video: Single HDMI Connection
Audio: 3.5mm TRRS
2 x USB

2 x 4 Watt Bluetooth Speakers

It runs Android 4.4 so some of the comments have to do with pre-configuring it with XBMC: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/832...k/comments

Anyone have any insight into how well XBMC should run on this? Apparently you can also hook it up to a TV or laptop via HDMI, so this is essentially a Fire TV with a projector and speakers option.
Cute. I would normally say stay away from devices that try to include an Android device, since you want to be able to update that on its own as years go by, but even a device like this actually is served fairly well by having Android built-in because it means support for various "beaming" methods for a few years, such as methods yet to be released. The next "chromecast" or whatever could show up in 3 years, and their's a fairly good chance (if history is a good example) that a device like this, even three years later, could be able to hop on the Google Play store and download an app to use that protocol. That's pretty handy to have in a small, easy to set up box.

That being said, while I wish these guys the best of luck, I think the price is way out of there for the size. No matter how you slice it, a small portable projector is only going to give you so much light and so much screen size, just because it's so small. It could be made of the best metal on earth and with the best parts, and that fact won't change. It would be hard for me to justify paying more than a few hundred, at most, for any portable projector, no matter how many extras it comes with.
That's a great point about it continuing to adapt alongside other android devices to handle future "beaming" technologies.

Regarding the price, if you look at the landscape of portable projectors, their MSRP of $845 seems fairly competitive when considering the features. I'm not sure I would pay that amount but I am considering picking up one of their Kickstarter prizes for $500, hence the OP. You can't find a portable projector with wifi, bluetooth speakers, battery power, and Android for that price.
Very cool. Thanks for posting this here.
(2014-06-20, 19:31)Dougie Fresh Wrote: Very cool. Thanks for posting this here.

You're welcome Smile

Great news: the creator intends to have XBMC installed by default: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/832...k/comments

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Android 'Smart' Projector to Carry in Your Pocket on Kickstarter0