Shutdown Windows, allowing updates to install
Hi,

I've got XBMC on Windows on my HTPC. I've noticed it can go for months without installing critical security updates - the reason being that I shut it down from inside XBMC, and this skips the process of installing downloaded updates.

It would be great if XBMC would shut down "normally", allowing windows to install updates, instead of the way it is now.
why not just hit exit once in a while and do it manually.

Don't know how our shutdown action is implemented
Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting, read this first
Interested in seeing some YouTube videos about Kodi? Go here and subscribe
Because I shouldn't have to. And because this behaviour is completely contrary to the typical thinking that "well, windows installs its updates automatically on shutdown, so since I'm shutting down my HTPC every evening, I'm safe".
Why don't you just use the Advanced Launcher to run the shutdown command? The command line is 'shutdown -r'

Or you can use Windows' Task Scheduler to do a restart once a week in order to finish the update process. It isn't something that needs to be in XBMC.

With either of these, Windows will shut down XBMC if there is no intervention to cancel the action.
(2014-06-21, 04:02)WayneFlix Wrote: Why don't you just use the Advanced Launcher to run the shutdown command? The command line is 'shutdown -r'

Because I use the Yatse XBMC app on my phone to control XBMC.. And again - why should I have to use a 3rd party plugin in order to get XBMC to behave as it should?

Quote:Or you can use Windows' Task Scheduler to do a restart once a week in order to finish the update process. It isn't something that needs to be in XBMC.

I don't want Windows to do a restart once a week - I want XBMC to send the correct shutdown signal. This is a completely hacky solution that would result in either:

* the system shutting down in the middle of a movie (total fail)
* the system popping up a confirmation dialog, asking me if I want to restart, in the middle of a movie (total fail)
* the system not installing updates because the computer wasn't running at the scheduled time for the restart (showing how hacky this solution is)
* the system booting up and then restarting immediately, because the task was set to "run as soon as possible, if the computer was turned off at the scheduled time", leaving me having to wait minutes before I can use it (total fail)

I don't understand the enthusiasm to recommend hacky, unreliable workarounds, that inconvenience the user, to attempt to solve what is an exclusively XBMC bug.
Because you aren't using a real OS. I understand that from birth you have been programmed that windows OS is the ONLY real OS but it isn't. Have you noticed that other users of other OS's haven't commented? Almost every other OS handles updates in a sane way. Windows OS doesn't. I work in IT. Thankfully I'm on the network side but I see what our desktop and server teams go through to update their OS's. It's a pain in the ass. Any server that I have to put up, I make sure it is Linux. Much easier to deal with and much easier to admin.

It is so much easier these days to throw up a VM and play with alt OS's that you really should look into it. You will hate it for the first few months, but once you get comfortable you will understand why a Windows OS is so bad.
althekiller Wrote:I like how this thread went from "specifically sound" to "overclocking." It was a good attempt guys, almost a thread that could be useful in the future.

I really miss althekiller :(
(2014-06-21, 16:50)ventolin Wrote: Because I use the Yatse XBMC app on my phone to control XBMC.. And again - why should I have to use a 3rd party plugin in order to get XBMC to behave as it should?

Since when has xbmc been marketed as a program to manage windows updates? Last time I checked it was a media player.

Quote:I don't understand the enthusiasm to recommend hacky, unreliable workarounds, that inconvenience the user, to attempt to solve what is an exclusively XBMC bug.

I don't understand your enthusiasm to blame the shortcomings of windows on xbmc. Even when using the windows GUI a restart will not install updates, you need to select another option. Go complain to MS about their shitty update process and ask them to fix it. And while you're at it ask them to stop the windows automatic updates from constantly stealing focus from running applications.
(2014-06-21, 16:50)ventolin Wrote: I don't want Windows to do a restart once a week - I want XBMC to send the correct shutdown signal. This is a completely hacky solution that would result in either:

* the system shutting down in the middle of a movie (total fail)
* the system popping up a confirmation dialog, asking me if I want to restart, in the middle of a movie (total fail)
* the system not installing updates because the computer wasn't running at the scheduled time for the restart (showing how hacky this solution is)
* the system booting up and then restarting immediately, because the task was set to "run as soon as possible, if the computer was turned off at the scheduled time", leaving me having to wait minutes before I can use it (total fail)

I don't understand the enthusiasm to recommend hacky, unreliable workarounds, that inconvenience the user, to attempt to solve what is an exclusively XBMC bug.

XBMC does send the correct shutdown signal. Because Windows does shut down.

1. You are watching movies at 5.30am on Tuesdays? You can easily schedule things to occur at times that you are VERY unlikely to be affected by it.
2. Again, schedule it for a time when you aren't going to be watching movies.
3. If the computer wasnt running, then XBMC wouldnt have been able to do anything anyway.
4. This would be a minor inconvenience remedied by the scheduler solution above.
5. Windows Scheduler is not a hacky workaround. It is a function of YOUR chosen OS.

6. Stop assuming this is an XBMC bug when it could just as easily be a Windows bug. Until you know it is an XBMC bug (meaning that you know the cause) then maintain a civil tone. You got one response from an XBMC team member, who said he didnt know how it was implemented, and the rest of the responses were USERS looking to HELP YOU.
I did a shutdown from within XBMC 13 on Windows 8 last night and that triggered the installation of updates.
Please double check your Windows update settings
(2014-06-22, 00:54)Karnagious Wrote: 1. You are watching movies at 5.30am on Tuesdays? You can easily schedule things to occur at times that you are VERY unlikely to be affected by it.
2. Again, schedule it for a time when you aren't going to be watching movies.

And keep my HTPC running 24/7, wasting energy?

Quote:3. If the computer wasnt running, then XBMC wouldnt have been able to do anything anyway.

Yes, of course not, but the point is that this is proof of how hacky and unreliable the proposed solution is - that the updates will only install if the computer is running, instead of the expected behaviour where updates are installed automatically on shutdown.

Quote:4. This would be a minor inconvenience remedied by the scheduler solution above.
5. Windows Scheduler is not a hacky workaround. It is a function of YOUR chosen OS.

Just because it's a feature of windows, doesn't mean it's the right tool to fix absolutely every problem. It certainly isn't the right solution to this problem.

Quote:6. Stop assuming this is an XBMC bug when it could just as easily be a Windows bug. Until you know it is an XBMC bug (meaning that you know the cause) then maintain a civil tone. You got one response from an XBMC team member, who said he didnt know how it was implemented, and the rest of the responses were USERS looking to HELP YOU.

Sure, and I'm sorry if I've come off as a little cold, but I'm frustrated by people blaming Windows, bashing Windows, and patronizingly telling me to broaden my horizons by using another OS -- and this all being branded as people trying to help.

(2014-06-22, 11:46)texaco Wrote: I did a shutdown from within XBMC 13 on Windows 8 last night and that triggered the installation of updates.
Please double check your Windows update settings

Will do. Thanks. I presume you've got them set to download and install automatically?
So you really don't want a solution. You just want to argue.

How much does your HTPC pull in standby mode that it is a problem?
Can someone technical actually explain to me how the shutdown when I go Start -> Shut Down/Restart in Windows is different from going to Power Icon -> Reboot/Power Off PC in XBMC?
(2014-06-22, 18:16)DJ_Izumi Wrote: Can someone technical actually explain to me how the shutdown when I go Start -> Shut Down/Restart in Windows is different from going to Power Icon -> Reboot/Power Off PC in XBMC?

This not a Windows support forum but:

In Windows 8 the automatic update functionality will not instantly reboot until 1-2 days.
This behaviour works pretty well if you have set "Install and update automatically" options set and updates will be triggered on shutdown from within XBMC.

The statement you are saying "Can someone technical actually..." basicly has pushed away every person willing to help you... If YOU spent time finding out what can cause this in YOUR setup then the devs can help YOU with YOUR problem.
To properly set you on the right track, this is the Windows 8 API thats available,
now im sure if you ask a dev nicely with the following question im sure you will also get a proper answer:

"Are XBMC using the latest available methods in order to properly shutdown and apply updates in Windows 8?

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/...s.85).aspx"
(2014-06-22, 19:26)texaco Wrote: The statement you are saying "Can someone technical actually..." basicly has pushed away every person willing to help you... If YOU spent time finding out what can cause this in YOUR setup then the devs can help YOU with YOUR problem.

I uhh... I don't actually HAVE a problem, my box just updates at 3am when it wants to... I'm just trying to grasp if there IS a difference between these shut down procedures or not so I can better understand the discussion going on here. I was just curious... But thanks for being a dick. o.O

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Shutdown Windows, allowing updates to install0