Shutdown Windows, allowing updates to install
(2014-06-22, 19:40)texaco Wrote: "Are XBMC using the latest available methods in order to properly shutdown and apply updates in Windows 8?

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/...s.85).aspx"

https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc/blob/Gotham...l.cpp#L239

Yes.

ps. I am not a programmer, but I just looked up the code which was easy enough - it is public Smile
(2014-06-22, 20:52)DJ_Izumi Wrote:
(2014-06-22, 19:26)texaco Wrote: The statement you are saying "Can someone technical actually..." basicly has pushed away every person willing to help you... If YOU spent time finding out what can cause this in YOUR setup then the devs can help YOU with YOUR problem.

I uhh... I don't actually HAVE a problem, my box just updates at 3am when it wants to... I'm just trying to grasp if there IS a difference between these shut down procedures or not so I can better understand the discussion going on here. I was just curious... But thanks for being a dick. o.O

Sorry, late evening with too much frustration led me to post this.
I was a dick and im glad you stood up and pointed it out (this is not sarcasm) Smile
The solution to this is use InitiateShutdown which was introduced in Windows Vista and later. It has a flag "SHUTDOWN_INSTALL_UPDATES" which allows installation of updates. The fact that we had to support Windows XP in older code is the reason why InitiateShutdown is not used yet.

So imo one of our windows devs needs to change the API call to the usage of InitiateShutdown with the proper flags - now that we are not supporting Windows XP anymore.
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
HowTo setup NFS for Kodi: NFS (wiki)
HowTo configure avahi (zeroconf): Avahi_Zeroconf (wiki)
READ THE IOS FAQ!: iOS FAQ (wiki)
(2014-06-23, 11:38)Memphiz Wrote: The solution to this is use InitiateShutdown which was introduced in Windows Vista and later. It has a flag "SHUTDOWN_INSTALL_UPDATES" which allows installation of updates. The fact that we had to support Windows XP in older code is the reason why InitiateShutdown is not used yet.

So imo one of our windows devs needs to change the API call to the usage of InitiateShutdown with the proper flags - now that we are not supporting Windows XP anymore.

Having configuration to shutdown with or without updating would be good as i can see some scenarios (laptops) where the user dont want to trigger the update process.
(2014-06-23, 11:38)Memphiz Wrote: The solution to this is use InitiateShutdown which was introduced in Windows Vista and later. It has a flag "SHUTDOWN_INSTALL_UPDATES" which allows installation of updates. The fact that we had to support Windows XP in older code is the reason why InitiateShutdown is not used yet.

Thanks for responding and taking this issue seriously. That all sounds reasonable.

Is there somewhere I can make an issue for this, or can you do the honours?
Look above for the "Bugtracker" link.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)

NOW I understand. Thank you.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Shutdown Windows, allowing updates to install0