Acer C720 Chromebook - Openelec?
These are currently on offer for £129 in the UK. As the Asus Chromebox is not currently available in the UK, this looks like a good alternative.

Does anyone have any experience of using one with Openelec?

Would it be possible to install Openelec and have it run with the lid closed, while connected to a TV?

I'm debating between something like this, a 2820 NUC or a custom m-atx HTPC build to use as a basic playback device. I'd like it to interface with a TVHeadend backend, or possibly take over as a dual back/frontend.

I need something that supports HD Audio bit streaming (to my amp) and is small/quiet.

The custom build I'm considering, would use an AS-Rock m-atx Q1900 board. This has the advantage of several PCI-e slots, allowing for internal, low-profile, DVB-S2 or DVB-T2 tuners.

I'm currently using a HP N36L microserver running Ubuntu, XBMC & TVHeadend with a fanless Nvidia card & 2x usb dvb-t tuners as an all in one device. It's ok, but not very streamlined and I'd like to move it out of my lounge and use it purely for storage.

Ideally I'd like to install something like Xpenology or Freenas to the microserver and have a small, low-power, unit by the TV for playback & PVR purposes.

The 2820 NUC can be had for less than £100 but I'm not sure about HD Audio bit streaming on it (using openelec). Plus if I want to use my existing 2x dvb-t tuners with it - I think I might be a bit short on USB ports?
I've use a C720 with OpenElec. Took a bit of fiddling to get it to work - ended up booting the OpenElec installer from the USB2 port using the Legacy (CTRL+L once you've done the whole enable USB boot, enable Developer etc.) and then installed to a USB3 drive in the USB3 socket, but then I think I had to switch this to the USB 2 port to boot from the installed version. (I have ChromeOS and Ubuntu dual boot on the internal SSD, and OpenElec from a USB drive)

Works well. You need to play around with the more advanced/expert settings to enable the HDMI output and disable the LCD, and I'm not sure it will run closed. I've used it with a PCTV 290e DVB-T2 tuner whilst on holiday in Sweden and in London. Latest builds should also work with the cheaper August T210 DVB-T2 USB tuner (even T2 support - yay!)

The C720 bitstreams HD Audio over HDMI. However AIUI the 2820 NUC is fine under OpenElec with HD Audio - it's just the Windows drivers that have issues. The NUC is likely to be a neater solution than the C720.

I run a Microserver running unRAID as a secondary media server (mainly for Recorded TV archiving) with an i5 Haswell NUC. They are a good combo.

I guess you can chose to run TV Headend on your server or your XBMC machine - if your server is on 24/7 then I'd look at TV Headend on that?
Thanks for the reply. Sounds like it is possible to use the C720, just not quite how I'd like to.

I have been following the progress of the August 210 support in OpenElec (over at the TVHeadend forum). They appear to now be sold out at Amazon however! I guess the price drop to £30 should have been a clue.

I think I may end up going for the custom m-atx build, for a OpenElec & TVHeadend combo. It will probably work better and be more refined. Even if the NUC or C720 are cheaper, they won't offer the same flexibility for PCI-e tuner cards.

The idea with relocating the Microserver is to not use it for TVHeadend anymore. If I move it, it won't be in a good spot to get the DVB-T or DVB-S coax cables to it, hence why I was wondering about my custom build. It would be nice to get that bulk out of my living room and replace it with something that can either hide behind the TV (like a NUC), or just slot in nicely in a cabinet (like a m-atx low-profile HTPC case).

One final question - do you know if OpenElec (running a TVHeadend backend) can wake a system (if the system supports S3 standby) to make a recording, then go back to sleep again? It would be ideal for a decent STB alternative.

I just want a reliable, small, low-power XBMC/PVR which still allows me to watch live TV & recordings in other rooms.

Otherwise I'll just switch back to a standard freeview/freesat STB and make do. I would use a raspberry pi as a low power backend, but I think they're limited to SD recording/streaming with the USB/LAN limitations. I'd like to move up to DVB-T2 or S2 tuner(s) at some point for HD recording/streaming.
(2014-06-20, 00:00)decpvr Wrote: Otherwise I'll just switch back to a standard freeview/freesat STB and make do. I would use a raspberry pi as a low power backend, but I think they're limited to SD recording/streaming with the USB/LAN limitations. I'd like to move up to DVB-T2 or S2 tuner(s) at some point for HD recording/streaming.

My Pi works OK with OpenElec and a Local TV Headend with the T210 on the HD muxes, though I haven't tried recording or streaming across the network (both of which would presumably double the USB bandwidth requirement?)

Can't answer the question about waking up for recordings in OpenElec - I don't run my main operation on TV Headend (I'm a mix of Windows Media Center for non-UK DVB-S/S2 TV and Sky+ HD for UK stuff) TV Headend is what I use when in hotels etc.
Interesting.

It would be good to know if the Pi could do at least one of those (in HD):

Record to a NAS
Stream over a network

I guess if I wanted to have multiple tuners, I could always use more than 1x Pi.

I see the latest OpenElec also supports the Geniatec T2 tuners.

I wonder if this is compatible:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/201075991259
No - that looks to be one of these : http://blog.palosaari.fi/2013/10/naked-h...stick.html It has a currently unsupported Panasonic DVB-T2 demodulator.

AIUI the August T210/Geniatech (which are the same hardware - though may have different IDs) and the PCTV290e are supported in OpenElec. The PCTV292e (which is cosmetically identical to the 290e - and in some cases being supplied by dealers when a 290e has been ordered) was supported recently in a custom OpenElec build (and I suspect will be in the main OpenElec soon if it isn't already).
So I guess this is the only cheap(er) one to be ordered:

http://m.aliexpress.com/item/699124717.h...sitedetail

Otherwise it's compatible PCI-e cards or wait for the 292e to be properly supported.

If you have an opportunity to test recording and/or streaming Hd with your August T210 & Pi I'd love to know the results!

I get the feeling every time I go through this - I end up gravitating towards that custom m-tax build again. It seems more efficient for the cost per tuner and greater flexibility.
(2014-06-19, 21:26)noggin Wrote: I've use a C720 with OpenElec. Took a bit of fiddling to get it to work - ended up booting the OpenElec installer from the USB2 port using the Legacy (CTRL+L once you've done the whole enable USB boot, enable Developer etc.) and then installed to a USB3 drive in the USB3 socket, but then I think I had to switch this to the USB 2 port to boot from the installed version. (I have ChromeOS and Ubuntu dual boot on the internal SSD, and OpenElec from a USB drive)

Works well. You need to play around with the more advanced/expert settings to enable the HDMI output and disable the LCD, and I'm not sure it will run closed. I've used it with a PCTV 290e DVB-T2 tuner whilst on holiday in Sweden and in London. Latest builds should also work with the cheaper August T210 DVB-T2 USB tuner (even T2 support - yay!)

The C720 bitstreams HD Audio over HDMI. However AIUI the 2820 NUC is fine under OpenElec with HD Audio - it's just the Windows drivers that have issues. The NUC is likely to be a neater solution than the C720.

I run a Microserver running unRAID as a secondary media server (mainly for Recorded TV archiving) with an i5 Haswell NUC. They are a good combo.

I guess you can chose to run TV Headend on your server or your XBMC machine - if your server is on 24/7 then I'd look at TV Headend on that?

Hi Noggin, could you please help me with trying to install openelec onto my chromebook 11? please and thanks i would really appreciate any help from anyone really, but looks like noggin has a better idea than anyone on the net.
I've only installed OpenElec on my C720 - which is Haswell Celeron 2955U based (same as the Chromebox)

I just followed the guides for standalone OS installs using the legacy BIOS facilities which you have as an option when you enable developer mode.
(2014-09-12, 02:19)crymsonfyre Wrote: Hi Noggin, could you please help me with trying to install openelec onto my chromebook 11? please and thanks i would really appreciate any help from anyone really, but looks like noggin has a better idea than anyone on the net.

'Chromebook 11' is really generic and not enough info. If it's the HP, then you're out of luck, as OpenELEC doesn't run on most ARM-based hardware (outside of the RPI and one or two others). If it's the Dell, then you would install it the same as noggin did on his C720
ic, yes unfortunately, i do have the hp version. im really beginning to regret buying this version. i thought it could do more. i should have researched further before trading my nexus 7 for it online Sad
(2014-09-12, 03:25)Matt Devo Wrote:
(2014-09-12, 02:19)crymsonfyre Wrote: Hi Noggin, could you please help me with trying to install openelec onto my chromebook 11? please and thanks i would really appreciate any help from anyone really, but looks like noggin has a better idea than anyone on the net.

'Chromebook 11' is really generic and not enough info. If it's the HP, then you're out of luck, as OpenELEC doesn't run on most ARM-based hardware (outside of the RPI and one or two others). If it's the Dell, then you would install it the same as noggin did on his C720

Will it work with the samsung exynos? SAMSUNG XE303C12-A01US Chromebook Huh
(2014-09-17, 02:36)crymsonfyre Wrote:
(2014-09-12, 03:25)Matt Devo Wrote: 'Chromebook 11' is really generic and not enough info. If it's the HP, then you're out of luck, as OpenELEC doesn't run on most ARM-based hardware (outside of the RPI and one or two others). If it's the Dell, then you would install it the same as noggin did on his C720

Will it work with the samsung exynos? SAMSUNG XE303C12-A01US Chromebook Huh

OpenELEC will not run on any ARM-based ChromeBooks -- x86 only!
OK one last question if it you believe xbmc could run on u Ubuntu on this model? Sorry for the question just seems like you know quite a bit and really could use the advice
I think the ARM Chromebooks are mainly based on the Samsung Exynos processors (though the newest one is Tegra K1?) If you want tolerable performance you'll need an XBMC build with hardware acceleration for the video processor in the Exynos or Tegra.

The Odroid U2 is also based on the Exynos I think - so if there is a hardware accelerated build for that platform you may well be able to compile a version to run on your Chromebook under Ubuntu? I don't think Exynos stuff is in mainline - if so a standard XBMC install won't be much use, you'll need to roll your own.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Acer C720 Chromebook - Openelec?0