Stereo upmix to 5.1 --> still only stereo?
Question 
Hi all,

I'm running the latest xbmc 13.1 (openelec) on my pi and am having an issue with the sound output.
I never really could get the stereo upmix feature to work. When playing an e.g. MP3, only my front-left and front-right speakers are used, all others (centre and rear-surrounds) remain dead/silent.

Aside from that, I have no other audio issues, everything works as it should (ac3/dts audio for movies). FYI, I am extracting the audio with a HDMI splitter and pass it to my receiver with an optical cable.

Is somebody having this problem as well?

cheers
Please let us know your audio settings and post a debug log for a scenario you try to upmix.
It is necessary to disable passtrough!?
No, how Stereo Upmix works will depend on the connection type and the number of PCM channels it supports. If the connection type is HDMI and is going to an AVR then PCM 5.1 will generally be supported thus Stereo Upmix will do a PCM 2.0 -> PCM 5.1 upmix, however if connection type is SPDIF then only PCM 2.0 is supported therefore both the Passthrough and the AC3 Transcode options need to be selected for a PCM 2.0 -> AC3 5.1 upmix to be done.
Hey JJD,

thanks for the previous entry, BRILLIANT ! most of my sound is now
being upmixed.

I watch a lot of pvr recordings/transcodings from my mythtv server

The sound for most of the SD content is being upmixed brilliantly, but
when I play HD recordings/transcodings it plays back a lot quieter, and
I have to turn up the volume quite significantly. My amp is 5.1, and does
dolby surround and dolby sound.

Is there a setting to do the equivalent of a "stereo upmix ALL audio"

Matt
Sorry but I don't understand the question, could you give a bit more detail and perhaps an example of a scenario with exactly what you want to happen.
(2014-07-30, 14:00)jjd-uk Wrote: Sorry but I don't understand the question, could you give a bit more detail and perhaps an example of a scenario with exactly what you want to happen.

Dolby digital 2.0 is not upmixed. It's stereo source format but it stay in stereo output.
Is there a solution to upmix it?
Yes you can upmix it, so if you don't get 5.1 currently this means your settings are wrong.

How about providing information on your equipment? What OS are you running? What type of device are you connecting to, TV, soundbar, AVR? and how are these devices connected, HDMI or SPDIF?

If you then post an screenshot of your settings we can then tell you where you've gone wrong.
Wait AC3 stream with 2 channels only format is passthroughed directly and is not upmixed, it is directly output without decoding.
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
Yeah should have qualified that you can only upmix to PCM 5.1 only from a DD2.0 source by disabling AC3, so if connected to an AVR then it might be far better to have that do the upmixing.
(2014-11-05, 14:25)jjd-uk Wrote: Yes you can upmix it, so if you don't get 5.1 currently this means your settings are wrong.

How about providing information on your equipment? What OS are you running? What type of device are you connecting to, TV, soundbar, AVR? and how are these devices connected, HDMI or SPDIF?

If you then post an screenshot of your settings we can then tell you where you've gone wrong.

Ok.

My equipment: NUC (Windows 7) -> HDMI -> AVR Pioneer VSX-922 (5.1) -> HDMI -> Sony KDL-55NX810

All my stereo sources are upmixed except Dolby Digital Plus 2.0 from HD TV.

All other audio sources are successfully transmitted (DTS, DTS-HD, MA...).

My settings:

Thank you for your help!
You'd probably be better off using something like Dolby Pro-Logic on the AVR to create 5.1 from the Dolby Digital 2.0 source, however if you want to try XBMC upmix you'll need to disable the "Dolby Digital (AC3) capable receiver" option so Dolby Digital is decoded to PCM so it can then be upmixed.
Ok, it works!

I prefer XBMC upmix stereo sources, it keeps me from having to change settings on my amp depending on what I'm looking ...

I now understand the working principle.

Thank you very much!
Ok, I'm having a similar issue. I have been able to get my setting set up so that most things upmix. However, it is not upmixing dolby digital 2.0 audio.

I'm running Kodi 14.0
Audio settings: Audio Output Device: Dorectsound SPDIF - Realtek Digital Output
Ouput Config. - Optimized
Limit Sampling - 48.0
Stereo Upmix - Enabled
Maintain Original volume on downmix - Enabled
Resample Quality - Medium
Keep Audio Device Alive - 1 Minute
Play GUI sounds - Only when playback stopped
Enable Passthrough - Enabled\
Passthrough output device - directsound: default
Dolby Digital (AC3) capable receiver - enabled
Enable Dolby Digital Transcoding - enabled
DTS Capable receiver - enabled

My receiver is a Samsung Home Theater in a box system (not quite sure what the model is)

I've tried adjusting various settings to try and get the upmix and this is the configuration that seems to get mostly everything. But any of my video files that are labeled as having 2 channel dolby digital audio do not upmix. I've tried disabling "Enable Dolby Digital Transcoding" to see if that would help but all this does is take away all upmixing. The 2 channel dolby digital audio still does not upmix. any suggestions?
You can't upmix Dolby Digital 2.0 over SPDIF, this can only be done when the Dolby Digital 2.0 is decoded and then sent as PCM over HDMI.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Stereo upmix to 5.1 --> still only stereo?0