Recording EDL (comskip) + rewind = BAD
I use comskip to generate EDL file to skip TV ads. Playing works fine, however if I rewind -30 sec it goes forward quite a bit, same if I try to go forward 30 sec, it will go forward 10-20 min. Basically pressing go back 30 sec a few times gets me to the end of a 1 hour recording..

Gotham 13.1 Windows 8.1 ArgusTV Backend

I'm not sure if this is the right place to report it.

Thanks.
same here, still, and I am currently using media portal. extremely annoying, I have to check if there is an edl and the use the rewind or fast forward instead of the skip. about time this was fixed.
Could your problem be with the EDL? I've noticed—particularly with Comskip—that it is less accurate than mythcommflag is, and often marks chunks of the programming as commercial. (When an EDL-defined skip takes place, you do know that you can press "down" or whatever you have set for your "Big step back" to return to when the commercial skip started, and it will play through ignoring that particular skip, right?)

Also, you can adjust the sensitivity of commercial breaks, combine those that are close together, and ignore certain ones if they are less than a defined timespan. Those settings are defined in advancedsettings.xml, and will help tweak your settings a bit.

Personally, I never encountered problems such as described here. I've used both MythTV's native EDL support with mythcommflag, as well as Comskip generated EDLs with Tvheadend, and both situations worked without problem. You aren't modifying the video file (such as transcoding or similar) without updating the EDL are you, because that will mess up the EDL and the frames referenced in the file will no longer be accurate?

(Also, posting which versions of the software you are having problems with would help root out the source of your problem. The OP was referring to a rather old version of Kodi; what versions of Kodi, MP and Comskip are you using? Does a debug log show any pertinent information about what is going on when you are skipping?)
Hi folks,

I was having that exact same problem (K16.1 Jarvis). After some searching, the problem went away after adding edl_skip_field=3 to the comskip.ini file. Everything plays through correctly and it doesn't matter anymore if I start in library more or file mode. On the other hand, I've picked up a different problem.

If I'm in the show and skip back into a commercial, the edl file then is ignored for the rest of the show. (Maybe it's supposed to work that way in case the edl file is wrong?) As a work around, if I stop watching (not pause, but stop) and resume playing, the edl file is honored again and even if the resume point is "inside" a commercial, the playback point starts after the commercials listed in the file. I consider that to be only a minor annoyance, since obviously, I have the remote in my hand anyway...
(2016-08-21, 23:49)seeker_ktf Wrote: Hi folks,

I was having that exact same problem (K16.1 Jarvis). After some searching, the problem went away after adding edl_skip_field=3 to the comskip.ini file. Everything plays through correctly and it doesn't matter anymore if I start in library more or file mode. On the other hand, I've picked up a different problem.

If I'm in the show and skip back into a commercial, the edl file then is ignored for the rest of the show. (Maybe it's supposed to work that way in case the edl file is wrong?) As a work around, if I stop watching (not pause, but stop) and resume playing, the edl file is honored again and even if the resume point is "inside" a commercial, the playback point starts after the commercials listed in the file. I consider that to be only a minor annoyance, since obviously, I have the remote in my hand anyway...

Many thanks, this indeed sorts it 99% like you say only leaving the small problem of the edl being ignored if the skip keys are used Smile

For reference:

Changes on 0.81.052
- Parameter added: edl_skip_field, sets the skip indicator in an EDL file. Default value is '0'. Set to edl_skip_field=3 to have better skipping on XBMC

"For items marked with 0, XBMC sees as Cut actions. The behavior essentially Cuts the commercials out completely during playback. This is different from a "skip" behavior that I normally see in SageTV. In XBMC, the duration of the show is listed as if the commercials had been cut out of the file by a third party tool. So, a 30 minute show comes up as if it's about 22 minutes long. If XBMC skips some actual content and you want to go back to see what you missed, there is no way to rewind to view it. Rewinding will go back to prior to the skip. It behaves like the commercials just don't exist, basically.

With edl_skip_field=3 , the full video file is visible, but XBMC will skip the marked commercials the first time it attempts to play them. If, after commercials are skipped, you skip back through the recording (into a commercial area), you can then watch the video that was marked as a commercial. "

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Recording EDL (comskip) + rewind = BAD0