• 7(current)
Milkdrop Visualization for XBMC?
Star 
some updates on our milkdrop port

Quote: - 02-06-2005 added: milkdrop - ability to select a folder or a zip file containing presets from the xml config file.
- 02-06-2005 fixed: milkdrop - problems with certain presets not loading in correctly.
- 01-06-2005 added: milkdrop preset changing thanks to bizzeh. requires new keymap, skin + milkdrop.vis.

presetchange is default mapped to dpad up/down in fullscreen viz mode.
mrc & spiff worked together to add zip support. you can now zip up them presets Smile (another bonus here is that you dont have to shorten the filenames) a hot tip is to not use highest compression, -store- or -normal- is faster to read for milkdrop. you've been warned.
there might be issues with too many presets in one zip, it's yet to be determined.

as usual, you need the dll's and xbe's made after the changes were introduced. that i have to even mention it may sound ridiculous, but a simple concept hard to grasp by oh so many it has proven...
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

wow how did they add support for changing the presets with the controller? Huh

i dont see how that is at all possible with the visualization dll interface.... if the interface was extended than the other vis's would have to be updated right? i am very impressed. great stuff
:bowdown:
hi pike,

firstly, thanks for all the work you and the porter are doing with milkdrop!

after listening to some music today and watching milkdrop in action, i started thinking and i'd like to ask for/propose some feature enhancements (as my coding ability is nil) which i think would make for the ultimate music vis on xbmc.

i know i'm dreaming for all of my suggestions/features to be implemented, but i hope my suggestions/details get some ideas flowing amongst the coders and users.

many, many thanks once again for the great work on porting/expanding this amazing audio/visual program.

suggested code enhancements:

vis 'playlist' - a setting to switch between a preset 'playlist' or selecting one of all available vis's in a directory/zip would be great.

vis 'memory' - code to write out the previous and the current vis name to a .ini or .xml file would also be great. (on init, the current and previous vis settings are set to the first vis loaded, then when each new vis is loaded, the 'old' current is written to 'previous', and the 'new' current is written to the 'current' setting). if this can be stored in the xbox memory, than that would be even better to save wear and tear to the hdd.

'static' vis - an option to not automatically new vis settings would be great. maybe changing the 'time between presets' (in vis.xml) to '0' could mean 'don't load new vis settings'.

user interactivity - allow the user to control various functions using the joypad/remote control (seems to be in place already!Wink, with suggested keymappings for the remote control (all suggested keys are currently unused when playing music with milkdrop vis enabled):

select key - toggle 'load new vis' on/off, see 'static vis' mentioned above.

back key - check the 'memory.xml' file (mentioned above) and load in the previous vis (useful if you have a vis you like, then it changes to one you don't like, you can go back to it). this overrides the 'static vis' function.

title key - toggle display of vis name at top, slightly to the right hand side of (full) screen (where the second grey band in the xbmc logo would be when the song name is displayed on screen).

up arrow cursor - toggle between select 'load vis settings from a zip file or directory', and 'only load vis settings from the vis playlist'.

down arrow cursor - toggle 'random vis' playback on/off. if enabled then new vis settings are randomly selected from either all available vis settings, or vis settings in a playlist. if disabled, then the next sequential vis setting from all available vis settings, or the vis playlist is loaded.

right/left cursor arrows - load a new vis. randomly select one if the random feature is enabled, otherwise go forward or backward through the list of available vis settings (if the playlist feature is enabled, then step forward/backward through the playlist of favourite vis settings, ignoring null entries in the playlist and wrapping around to the start of the playlist if needed). this overrides the 'static vis' setting.

numbers 1-0 - switch between favourite vis settings in the playlist (hey, if the playlist can handle up to 100 settings that would be fantastic. ie: '1' by itself selects vis preset 1, '26' selects preset 26, '00' selects preset 100)

menu - save currently visible preset to playlist. ie: menu + '1' would save the current vis to position 1 in the vis playlist, menu + '5' in playlist position 5 etc. a text message on screen should say something like 'saving vis to favourites'. when in this mode, if the menu key is pressed again this should cancel saving the current preset to the vis playlist (the 'oh bugger, i pressed the wrong button' option).

playlist - the playlist(.xml ?) file should ideally have some data already entered into it before for distribution, so that users do not get a crash the first time they access the vis playlist. or the playlist code needs to be able to recognise null data in the playlist and not try to load the null value as a valid vis setting.

advanced:

overwrite the playlist - if all positions in the vis playlist are full or the user wants to overwrite a setting then a query should appear on screen, something like 'overwrite setting in vis playlist?' with the menu key= yes, back key=no.

if the playlist is to support more than 10 different vis settings (ie: '1', '35', '99', '00' on keypad instead of just '1'-'0') then the user needs to be able to see (on screen) which positions in the vis playlist are empty.

a quick way to do this would be to overlay numbers in the middle of the screen (01-00 - say in a 10x10 grid) with 'empty' playlist positions either a different colour (green?) or with a tick or some other visual indicator next to them to indicate that playlist position has not been filled.
Quote: - 14-06-2005 changed: milkdrop - now renders with correct aspect ratio.
- 14-06-2005 added: pixel ratio parameter added to the visualisation create function and more direct x exports.
- 14-06-2005 added: visualisation settings, and ability to show, select and lock vis presets.
- 14-06-2005 added: nicer music osd during visualisation (thanks to chokeman for all the nice graphics)

so let's dissect these.
mrc added aspectratio. the top 2 means that milkdrop now respects the calibrated aspectratio (from my videos). you -need a new xbe- to use this .vis version.

jmarshall has been hard at work implementing a new music osd that you can also use to control visualisations (mapped to start). keymap has also changed. chokemaniac made the gfx as usual

also in, is that you can lock preset (so it doesnt advance to next preset automatically) : mapped to b
presetname : mapped to white
presetlist : mapped to y

Quote:as usual, you need the dll and xbe made after the changes were introduced. that i have to even mention it may sound ridiculous, but a simple concept hard to grasp by oh so many it has proven...

Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.

(pike @ june 15 2005,00:42 Wrote:
Quote: - 14-06-2005 changed: milkdrop - now renders with correct aspect ratio.
- 14-06-2005 added: pixel ratio parameter added to the visualisation create function and more direct x exports.
- 14-06-2005 added: visualisation settings, and ability to show, select and lock vis presets.
- 14-06-2005 added: nicer music osd during visualisation (thanks to chokeman for all the nice graphics)

so let's dissect these.
mrc added aspectratio. the top 2 means that milkdrop now respects the calibrated aspectratio (from my videos). you -need a new xbe- to use this .vis version.

jmarshall has been hard at work implementing a new music osd that you can also use to control visualisations (mapped to start). keymap has also changed. chokemaniac made the gfx as usual

also in, is that you can lock preset (so it doesnt advance to next preset automatically) : mapped to b
presetname : mapped to white
presetlist : mapped to y

Quote:as usual, you need the dll and xbe made after the changes were introduced. that i have to even mention it may sound ridiculous, but a simple concept hard to grasp by oh so many it has proven...
first i have to say :o wow
i love the new music gui. it's great.

just one little thing i notised when playing around with it. maybe the pause button should change to a play button when you are rew or fwd.

other then that exelent work to all involved.

looking forward to more visual plugins making use of this new feature.
  • ASRock ION 330 OpenELEC XBMC Frodo.
  • 47" LG HDTV1080p, AC3/DTS Receiver.
  • 96" Epson LCD 1080p projector
  • 2x Raspbery Pi with XBMC
top marks... xbmc really is coming on with some great features!
fantastic,

i wonder if the timeout for displaying the preset could be longer?
For python coding questions first see http://mirrors.xbmc.org/docs/python-docs/
yes it can.

while the vis is playing full screen press start to bring up the new audio/vis control. the bottom option is the vis settings page.
yes thank you, i just found that.

i posted a bug in the bug forum. in case somebody misses it about the milkdrop.xml file.

edit: i meant when you hit the black button to display the current preset title. i think the problem i was having was related to the bug i posted about.
For python coding questions first see http://mirrors.xbmc.org/docs/python-docs/
the hdd can't spin down while streaming music because it's accessed at every preset switch
please get it loaded into ram, if it doesn't take too much space
(xilencer @ june 16 2005,00:13 Wrote:the hdd can't spin down while streaming music because it's accessed at every preset switch
please get it loaded into ram, if it doesn't take too much space
haha, you're funnay

dont know if and when it will ever be done, but here's 2 solutions if you cant take the spinup/down

1. lock it on a single preset!
2. dont use milkdrop!

the music osd and the preset chooser is fantastic guys ! :thumbsup:
one little thing, when you choose a preset and hide the preset window and bring it back up again, list starts at the top, could it be changed so it keeps the currently selected preset ?
okay this post is gonna make me sound crazy  :o

has anyone else noticed that the milkdrop vis from the 14th is not responding to the music like it used to? what i mean is that milkdrop always "lived" the music and responed to the music & beats in a dynamic way. now it just looks flat Sad.

it is either not responding to the music or it is so far out of sync that it appears as though it is not in time.

i have been watching this this new build of the vis for over an hour and i am 100% sure it is not right. i even have a pre 14th build on another xbox that looks and reacts like before.

just play a track and watch the subtle movements that were perfectly in time to the music have gone.

please someone tell me it is not my eyes and it is broken  Shocked

cheers
xboxgeek
(bakman @ june 16 2005,02:35 Wrote:one little thing, when you choose a preset and hide the preset window and bring it back up again, list starts at the top, could it be changed so it keeps the currently selected preset ?
agreed.

but this is really amazing work. great job!
i've got a question about choosing presets to view...

when i'm in vis mode, i open the preset window to choose a preset but all i get in the screen is "there are no presets to choose from" or something like that. same goes with all the other visualisations.

do i have to extract the zips?

i'm using a 5,111 preset pack btw but still have the 436 preset pack in /milkdrop
  • 7(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Milkdrop Visualization for XBMC?0