XBMC - local LAN / remote viewing - different sources/same library
Hi,

My basic setup consists of (1) a synology NAS hosting the media and (2) various clients ranging from htpc and raspberry pi within local lan and android phones + laptop remotely.

The local access is done through smb - for the remote access I found it fastest to use a https webdav server and am able to stream 720p without jitters. Using a VPN did not work as well and was unusably jittery.

Now ideally I would like to have a single library hosted on a mysql database on the nas - however the problem is I effectively have two sets of sources (SMB and webdav) pointing to the same sets of files... what I would ideally like to happen is if a device wants to play say a movie from the library then if it is on the local LAN it would use the SMB link and if it is external then the webdav one.

This would also have the advantage that when I am using my laptop at home I wouldn't be unnecessarily using the webdav server for no reason...

Does anyone if such two-to-one link mapping is possible?

As a separate point I didn't find using mysql on the NAS particularly fast from my HTPC (bizarrely browsing menus was okay but starting movies took a lot longer to play) and am weary this may be an even worse idea for remote viewing. To that end I am okay to have local libraries on each device but is there anyway they can all sync bank to a central mysql one on the NAS? i.e. the NAS would store the libraries and just push to the clients, and the clients would solely report back playback positions to the NAS for each file. Perhaps the mysql solution can already be set up to do this... (i.e. store local copies on client side)

Thanks for any advice!
Use two profiles (wiki). The first/master profile will be for portable use (because it is always loaded first), and it will contain an advancedsettings.xml (wiki) file that uses pathsubs (wiki) to point your SMB paths to webdav ones. A second profile will not have those pathsub entries for its advancedsettings.xml file. This will also allow you to point to the external IP for the MySQL server on the "portable" profile, while using the normal internal IP for the second/local profile.

Granted, remote MySQL usage will slow down listing/viewing videos in the library, but it's certainly possible.
great, appreciate the advice - will try it out and let you know if any problems.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
XBMC - local LAN / remote viewing - different sources/same library0