Failing to upgrade from 12.10 in order to get 13.1
Why not install the latest xbmcbuntu over the top instead of the latest ubuntu?
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
I couldn't see the option to upgrade when I tried that nickr, only to install '- 'alongside'.

I reckon I'll just do a fresh install when I have a weekend free.
To be clear, none of the installers I've used have offered an 'upgrade' option as such.

What you need to do is wait until you get to the part when the installer looks for other systems on your PC. You then get a window (from memory) where the first option is to overwrite ubuntu with the new system. The second option is to install side by side, keeping the original OS in place. The third option is 'something else'. When you choose the third option, it takes you to the disk partitioning screen. On here, you must choose your original root mount point (if you only have the one drive then this is just the largest partition). You choose to mount it as '/' (root) and set the partition size (just leave it as it is) and the filesystem (most likely ext4 unless you chose to change it on your original install). Make sure to 'untick' the format box!!!!

The installer will then tell you that changing the partition size could take a while and ask if you want to continue. Choose yes. This bit always takes a couple of minutes for me in spite of the partition actually being the same size. The installer will then explain that all the system stuff (/etc /usr) etc etc will be overwritten and ask if you want to continue.

When you do, it will make a list of all your installed packages first, before it installs anything. At the end of the install it will try and re-install them. This bit often (always?) fails. However, as long as you use the exact username, PC name, and password that you used originally, all your stuff in your /home directory will be intact.

You might want to check out https://help.ubuntu.com/community/UbuntuReinstallation
Learning Linux the hard way !!
That's brilliant, thanks for the in depth advice black eagle. This shall be a Saturday project
Sorted! I am currently running 13.1 on 14.04 and things are working nicely after a fair bit of tweaking. For problems I ran into, grub was broken - I got the grub_term_highlight_color error - so had to boot into a live stick and repair it that way. Then all my packages and mounts were broken (foolishly only backed up my user folder not /etc) so redoing all those took a fair bit of time but everything is now all working so I'm very happy.
Glad to hear it all worked out in the end and you are back up and running. Big Grin
Learning Linux the hard way !!

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Failing to upgrade from 12.10 in order to get 13.10