Linux Help with XBMC interface binding request
Hello,

I'll keep this as short as possible.

System:
Sabayon Linux, XBMC 12.3, All WIFI (XBMC using wlan0) - (works fine etc except for lots of stutter because of wifi etc) but there's nothing wrong with this setup etc. I was attempting to change the media source from wifi to eth0 etc.

My media source is also on the network via the WIFI connection.

What I was doing/changing :

Changing the media source from the WIFI network to a directly connected network via eth0 interface now that I have a cable long enough ---

Undesired outcome:

XBMC started using the eth0 address and card as it's upnp advertisement meaning that none of my upnp clients could connect (xbox's etc) as they were receiving the incorrect IP address

This was despite having the correct routing tables and gateways in place in the linux kernel.

XBMC could not stream to the xbox's or other connected devices.

Why did XBMC start thinking eth0 was the default card? - when I configured the network stuff in Linux, I specifically made the eth0 a local only network/route (meaning it would never be used as any default gateway, and it wasn't being used as the default gw I checked and confirmed wlan0 was still the default)

XBMC could still access the net through the normal wifi network so I am unable to explain why it started advertising the eth0 information to the upnp clients despite having networking configured correctly.

can someone shed some light on this, or tell me how to make xbmc bind to the wlan0 interface only? (so that I may have my sources on eth0 but XBMC on wlan0)
What exactly are you trying to accomplish here? Do you want to use eth0 or wlan0?
(2014-06-22, 23:26)negge Wrote: What exactly are you trying to accomplish here? Do you want to use eth0 or wlan0?

I'm trying to force XBMC to use the WLAN0 interface by default even though there is a connected eth0 interface on and configured.
http://askubuntu.com/questions/4872/bind...interfaces

The second answer might be able to do what you want.
(2014-08-23, 11:41)negge Wrote: http://askubuntu.com/questions/4872/bind...interfaces

The second answer might be able to do what you want.

Unfortunately not,

I actually tried an unclean solution - I swapped the names around - so eth0 became wlan0 and vice versa - following this article http://askubuntu.com/questions/217635/ho...-interface

It was a simple rename and XBMC then seemed to bind to the interface I wanted, everything worked and it accessed the files on both networks wlan0 and eth0 as I wanted ---

BUT!!!!

The damn upnp server is still binding to the local gigabit ethernet hardware and not the wifi despite xbmc reporting it is using the correct ip address and such --- it's the only thing left I can't figure out how to change.

How can I force XBMC to advertise it's UPNP server on a particular interface?

I was looking in the upnpserver.xml but I can't find any documentation for the settings anywhere ?
So, how does XBMC decide which interface to use anyway?

I set up a virtual machine with two adapters (eth0 and eth1) - I made eth1 the default gateway and XBMC still picked eth0 despite it not being able to connect to the net etc.

I've browsed Google a lot and I've seen other people request the same feature wether it be to bind to eth1, wlan0 eth0 etc etc but each one just went obsolete ---

Where can I put a request in for it to be added as a feature in the Linux version of XBMC?
Why not do what most people do and bridge your wireless and wired networks at your router.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
(2014-09-13, 01:10)nickr Wrote: Why not do what most people do and bridge your wireless and wired networks at your router.

Too long to explain and not what I want

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Help with XBMC interface binding request0