Force 1080i@60Hz
Hello,

My current setup is as follows:

PC running OpenElec (XBMC) with ASUS Radeon HD 6450 > --- HDMI ---> Denon AVR-2310 Amp >---- HDMI ---> Panasonic TH-42PX60B

The TV is capable of displaying 1080i signals at 60Hz.

When I have gone into the video output settings on XBMC, there are only progressive resolutions to choose from not interlaced. I have tried selecting 1080p but the maximum refresh rate I get at this resolution is 30Hz. Running at 30Hz is giving me a headache and it seems a waste to drop down to 720p where I get 60Hz.

I have read in the forum that it is possible to force the resolution to 1080i and 60Hz buy updating different files, but none of these have worked for me.

openelec.tv/forum/67-display/49614-can-i...utput-of-oe-to-1080i
openelec.tv/forum/67-display/4353-resolu...n-waking-from-resume

Can you please tell me the easiest way to force XBMC to boot and stay in 1080i at 60Hz. I really can’t justify £400 on a new 1080p TV at the moment! Sad

If you need any more information about the setup, please ask.

Thanks, Keith.
I suspect that your issue has more to do with what your video card driver is supporting in terms of resolutions and refresh rates, than XBMC.

XBMC relies on what the video card driver tells it to understand what your hardware is capable of supporting, so your problem is most likely either that your TV is not reporting 1080i@60 to your video card properly in the EDID package it's sending back over HDMI, or your video card driver is not reporting that 1080i@60 is a valid resolution/refresh combo to XBMC.

The first obvious thing you need to do is update your video driver to the very latest version if possible.

Given that you are running OpenElec and have a Radeon video card, it could be tricky to solve this because the AMD Radeon video driver support has been known to be a bit dodgy in Linux.
You may want to try connecting direct to your TV to test. It is possible your receiver is the issue also.
Hey folks,

Thanks very much for taking the time to reply!

After your comments about the driver issue on Linux, I decided to try installing Windows 8.1 with XBMC on top. With this configuration, I was able to run XBMC at the full 1080i@60hz resolution. The only problems I had was that the machine I'm running it on is so old that the installation crawled along and crashed every time I tried running any videos.

So, I guess the options are:

* Buy a different graphics card which is better supported in Linux
* Buy a new media PC which will run Windows 8.1 at a better speed
* Buy a new TV which will run at 1080i
* Buy all three!

I detect a theme here... Sad

Thanks again for quick responses and your advice!

Cheers, K.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Force 1080i@60Hz0